PDA

View Full Version : Litmus Test for playing higher stakes

TeddyIRA
03-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Hello everyone! I've just joined the Forum and am pretty new to real money games on-line and looking for some advice. I only play low limit (0.50-1.00 & sometimes 1-2) and actually have been playing more single table tournaments than straight up games. I feel my skills are better than most but far from the top. Should I back off the tournaments and play more straight up games and what kind of goals should I set to achieve on-line before I move up to higher stakes? Thanks for you input in advance. Look forward to talking with you all more.

~tEd~

spamuell
03-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Post some hands in the micro-limit forum.

Bob T.
03-03-2004, 06:27 AM
There are basically two tests that you have to pass, in order to play at a limit.

First, can you comfortably play at those stakes? No matter how good the game is, if you can't play because the stakes are so high, you won't be able to effectively play, and you are better off finding a game that you can play.

The second test, is can you identify mistakes that your opponents are making, and do you know how to take advantage of them?

I think if you are honestly comfortable with the answers to both of those questions, then you can move into the game in question.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

lostinthought
03-03-2004, 11:21 AM
It depends on what your goals are. If you have a great time playing .5/1 and cringe at the idea of dropping 100$ in a session, maybe you should stay at .5/1 and enjoy yourself. Most players like to be making the most the can any given hour and are constantly trying to move up because of the monetary incentive and the challenge. Plus, the rake is rough at low limits.

Mason has an essay called, "playing for minimum wage", which should be relevant.

I personally would play .5/1 till I had about $400-600, and then move up to $1/2, and keep on moving up whenever I had 300 big bets of the next level. The 300 BB's won needed to move up is USUALLY an indication that you are doing SOMETHING right. If you drop more than 100 BB's, stop and reevaluate to see if you are doing something wrong. Post problem hands here on the small stakes forum.. and try to enjoy yourself along the way..

Most people who play consistently online don't just do one thing either. I mainly play full table holdem, but I mix it up with short handed play, sit n go's, multi table tournaments, stud and omaha/8. Whatever it takes to keep the game fresh and interesting.

good luck

Mike Gallo
03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Teddy,

Welcome to the forums. Please consider changing your handle. Rounders references grow old /images/graemlins/tongue.gif