PDA

View Full Version : Moving on up

Alinator
03-02-2004, 05:00 PM
I have played on-line poker for years. I used to make great gains in very short periods of time on sites like Paradise. What would usually happen is that I would take a $100.00 buy in and then run it up starting with 3/6 (sometimes it required more than one $100.00 buy in) to a couple of thousand dollars by moving through the 5/10 and then up to their 20/40 limits. The problem with this was that my bank roll was never large enough to sustain any real slides. I found that loosing a couple of thousand dollars in 20/40 was very easy when cards were running bad.

Still, being a stubborn person, I continued this for some time and then gave up on on-line poker in disgust. But, after some thinking and seeing the recent upsurge of popularity in on-line poker, I decided that I would give it another try.

Now I am playing at Party Poker in the .50/1.00 and the 1.00/2.00 games. I have built $200.00 to about $500.00 over the last two days (currently on a short slide and down about $30.00 today). I chose the lowest limit games instead of the usual 3/6 that I would attack (or be attacked by) with the logic being that I can take a long string of hits before I am in trouble with this small bank roll. But, at some point I need to move up in levels. At what point would you think that a bank roll is really big enough to move up to the 2/4 or the 3/6 levels. What amount of bank roll would you assume would be strong for constant bad runs at 3/6 or 2/4? I do not expect to have just horrid bad swings. But, I would rather move up when I am prepared to take them than to be back at Neteller again putting more money into my poker account because I moved up too quickly.

I have to say, by the way, that the low limit games at Party are some of the best that I have ever seen. I would never expect to have the kind of runs that I am having in those games anywhere else.

pudley4
03-02-2004, 05:12 PM
If you are a good winning player, you should be able to move up with 200-250 BB (big bets) at your new limit. Be prepared to move back down if you get down to 100BB left in your bankroll

Alinator
03-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Don't we all think we are good winning players... I generally do okay but am sure that I can get better.

Thanks for the advice. So, I will wait until I have at least $800.00 before I move to 2/4 which will mean that I wait until I have at least $1200 to go to 3/6 and so on.

Duke
03-02-2004, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't we all think we are good winning players

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

If you keep accurate stats you can be certain if you are or not. If you actually see your mistakes as they're happening, and you don't feel uncomfortable with very many hands at all (like not knowing where you're at) then you can be certain.

But you need a ton of hands. A ton.

~D

stripsqueez
03-02-2004, 07:03 PM
i agree that once you have 200-250 BB's at a higher limit you should start playing the games there as long as you can deal with moving back down, which, given your history, i imagine you can do

the mid/high limits are full of guys who started low, hit some cards, and got high enough up the ladder to leave it in the pocket of a 10/20 player rather than a 2/4 player

the best thing you can do if you want to get serious about on-line poker and get an appreciation of swings and the long term is to go to www.pokertracker.com (http://www.pokertracker.com) and buy it

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

ps - pokertracker pat i know you search these boards - do i get commision ?