PDA

View Full Version : I fought the Claw and the Claw won

Benn Eubank
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
6-12 Artichoke Blows. Still trying to work out what Tommy Angelo and Ulysses look like. Game is very good and not just because I'm in it. Lucky chips flying after every hand. Tells, though, are not as easy as the night before when a friendly chinese gentlemen kicked me repeatedly under the table to let me know that he had flopped the straight. Anyway, I digress.

The gentleman with the prosthetic arm has been playing quite loosely and has been more aggressive than others, i.e. willing to raise. No discernable bluffing seen though.

Preflop: Hero is Button with K /images/graemlins/club.gif, T /images/graemlins/club.gif.

About 4 limpers to me including The Claw, I complete (1/2 the button's bet is the drop, but it counts towards your bet), SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (c. 6.5 sb's) K /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif (7 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, The Claw bets, folded to Hero, Hero raises, SB cold calls, BB folds, MP1 cold calls, The Claw re-raises, Hero makes it 3-bets, SB cold calls, MP1 cold calls, The Claw makes it 4 bets. Hero now calls, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (c. 11 bb's) 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (4 players)

SB checks, MP1 checks, The Claw now checks, Hero bets, SB folds, MP1 calls, The Claw calls.

River: (c. 14 bb's) A /images/graemlins/club.gif (3 players)

SB checks, MP1 bets, The Claw calls, Hero calls.

MP1 turns over 5,3 for the straight, The Claw turns over 4,4 for the full house. The Claw looks at me and says that he was worried I had K,K.

Any thoughts on my play appreciated. I don't want to influence the discussion too much, but any help around how best to strike the balance between wanting to force those drawing thin to fold and seriously over-playing a hand would be great.

Cheers, Benn.

J.R.
03-02-2004, 04:08 PM
I would raise preflop quite often here. What do you think the Claw has when he bets the flop and then 3-bets, out of position, on an unconnected rainbow flop when he had not shown any discernable bluffing as of yet? You only have KT, and he can't be overplaying a flush draw, what hands could he have that you are ahead of?

I think your flop 4 bet was one too many and would typically fold the turn without help (unless the claw was limping with garbage kings and overplaying top pair, any kicker).

wanting to force those drawing thin to fold

Unless the pot is really big, you don't want them to do this. If they don't have the odds, you like them to call. BTW, the opended-straight draw wasn't drawing thin on the flop.

MrBlini
03-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Why not use your position on the turn and check behind? Unless someone is pumping an open-ended straight draw, the flop action sure makes it look like your hand is second best. Now, that 2 on the turn is nice, because you've just beat any 2 pair without a K, but there is little risk in giving a free card. Only an A is particularly likely to help someone else improve without improving you as well, although surely there are a couple of other unknown cards you don't want to see. Not only do you save a bet if you're behind, you may induce a bluff or get someone to make a bad value bet in front of you on the river.

J.R.
03-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Now, that 2 on the turn is nice, because you've just beat any 2 pair without a K, but there is little risk in giving a free card.

Are you sure about this idea? K4, 42 and K2 are all still way ahead.

MrBlini
03-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Doh! Posting sick is almost as bad as playing sick.

Benn Eubank
03-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi J.R. & Mr. Blini,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Will take the advice on board.

Cheers, Benn.

P.S. No offense meant to the prosthetic community out there. Just fell in love with the title, really.