PDA

View Full Version : not sure what to think of my play here

jaydoggie
03-02-2004, 01:45 PM
stars sng blinds 15/30. BB hold AJs
everyone at the table limps.
i raise to 270. to my dismay 3 call.
the pot was around 1200. i had 1200 in chips left.

flop A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

being the BB i was first to act. at this point i estimated if i were going to bet, my only bet was allin. the only hands i feel are ahead right now are; 22,66,A6,A2. i dont assume anyones on a bigger ace. i feel if someone had AQ/AK they would have raised before the flop instead of limping into the sea of limpers. or reraised after i raised out of the big.

if i bet half my stack, i had no leverage for the turn. if i bet 25% of my chips im giving them fantastic odds to chase me. so i pushed. 2 callers. 77 and Jh8h

was i too aggressive preflop? was i not aggressive enough preflop? im sure given the situation i had no choice after the flop. but would anyone surrender their AJ preflop? or do they like big payoffs like me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

t_perkin
03-02-2004, 02:52 PM

jaydoggie
03-02-2004, 02:59 PM
5$+.5

Stoneii
03-02-2004, 02:59 PM
with a 77 caller and preflop J8s flush chaser i'm guess $5, maybe 10 max?

GoSox
03-02-2004, 03:07 PM
If everyone truly limped to you, that would be 8-10 in and AJs starts looking pretty weak. With that many people in there's a pretty good chance you may not have the best hand, and early on it's too unpredictable what you'll get called with. Your raise works to limit the players and improve your odds, but now you have 1/4 of your stack in. You're putting yourself in a position where you're getting pot committed if the flop hits you at all. Granted with 77 and J8 they probably shouldn't have even called preflop but that's what happens in the early rounds. Given that your in the worst position for every round going forward I would have limped. You just have no way to get away from this hand on a raise that size.

And fyi.. no I don't want big payoffs, the goal is to win the tourney not risk it all to possibly win one big hand. It's too early in the tourney.

Stoneii
03-02-2004, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was i too aggressive preflop? was i not aggressive enough preflop? im sure given the situation i had no choice after the flop. but would anyone surrender their AJ preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

u raised pot so you wouldn't be surrendering. You were in with best hand and I guess got sucked out on (thus the post). Not much more u can do. Play enough of them and get in with best hand and you'll win more than lose (allegedly /images/graemlins/smile.gif). Although check with William about the 78%+ rule /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's hard to make players lay down gutshot, halfshot, buckshot, or any kind of draw at $5 and any PP can seem a monster to players.

PrayingMantis
03-02-2004, 03:14 PM
I don't see the point in raising at all from BB with your hand, the amount of limpers, and the fact it's very early. What are you trying to achieve? Check, and play the flop. AJ is not an easy hand to play, so you better get ready to back off if there's too much action even if an ace falls. Unless you're playing with complete crazies, which is sometimes the case in the 5.5.

Post-flop, if you believe people will call you with flush draws and 2nd pair, pushing makes complete sense. I guess you've been beaten, since I don't see what's to complain about these two guys calling, when you're so much ahead.

PrayingMantis

jaydoggie
03-02-2004, 03:25 PM
no i wasnt beaten, i more than tripled and wrapped up the tournament in rather speedy fashion. but i just wanted to grasp how terrible that play was, or if it was just a risk some are willing to take. im not sure what i think of it, i just had a hunch to raise it up. i was hoping everyone would fold or i would isolate the pot. i didnt acheive those results, but the outcome ended up in my favor.

Stoneii
03-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I get so emotional when I see a happy ending /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice 1. Congratulations

stoneii

NotMitch
03-02-2004, 04:36 PM

William
03-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Although check with William about the 78%+ rule

Check also the pre-flop raise! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I won't repeat what others have pointed out, but that was a horrible move.