PDA

View Full Version : When to show your hand

triplc
03-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Hello all,

Does anyone have any rhyme or reason to when they decide to show others at the table your hand? Do you always show when you've made a succesful bluff? Do you show a big, uncalled hand to show you've got the goods? Do you show when they show (pretty silly in my opinion, but some seem to think that there is some breech of etiquette when they do and you don't)?

I don't use auto-muck, simply because I want to make the decision myself, but many times I don't even make it to the button when I do want to show, or afterwards I think to myself...probably should have shown that one for advertising.

Anyway, interested to hear others thoughts on this one.

CCC

NotMitch
03-02-2004, 11:06 AM
As a rule I never show and keep auto muck on. I try to keep them guessing.

foobar
03-02-2004, 11:16 AM
I usually only show my hand when....

1) I don't have much respect for my opponents play
2) I'm getting too much/too little action on my bluff/monsters
and
3) I think they'll react to my weak little advertising play

cheers.

GoSox
03-02-2004, 11:23 AM
If I've won three hands in a row, and the first two were bluffs and the third was pocket aces, then I show the third hand. I'm just trying to leave the impression that all three were "real" hands so the next bluff they'll remember. Of course if someone is tilting and you just stole the blind with 62o then you might show to just help push them over the edge !

Otherwise I rarely show, just don't want to give away any information.

DrPhysic
03-02-2004, 11:25 AM
triplec,
I show one hand in maybe 100.
Automuck is on. i don't show losers (with exception below).
I will occaisionally show a winner, especially when i have been making a living recently bluffing/stealing.
If i wish to show a bluff, i will make/call a small bet, where my 35o will be shown, not mucked. Ie: i am not last, and i think the guy who is winning is last.

Doc

DrPhysic
03-02-2004, 11:33 AM
gosox:
I love the kick the guy on tilt in the nutz approach! had not occured to me.

LMAO

Doc

triplc
03-02-2004, 11:54 AM
I can respect that, he who is not Mitch, but it seems to me that most pros will show their hands at various times simply to advertise. Usually it's when they are bluffing. It seems like this should be a tool in the poker toolbox, like anything else.

I'm not advocating showing every hand, but it would seem that a well-timed showing of a hand could be a positive move.

Some of the times I will show (sometimes for comedic value if nothing else) is when I'm in the Big Blind and it gets folded around to me and I have a hand like 27o or AA. When it's 27o, I'll type "thanks" in the chat bar, and when it's AA I'll type "you bastards...lol" or something to that effect. Stupid, I realize, but is there harm in doing this?

The only other time that I will show hands as a rule, is when I make a real grandstand play, which is less than one time in each tourney. I have 94o, I'm shortstacked and I steal the blinds...I'll show the hand so that the next time I go all in with my big hands I'll get a caller...hopefully.

CCC

ClemsonAce
03-02-2004, 12:23 PM
I normally do not show to many hands, but I make an exception if it is late in the tourney and I have been stealing several blinds in a row. That is about the only time i'll show.

NotMitch
03-02-2004, 12:47 PM
I dont use showing cards for 3 reasons, the first I already mentioned. Secondly I tend to be the tightest player at the table and everytime I have taken down a pot at showndown the hand has been big most of the time. I want my image to be super super tight because I do steal a lot later in the game and a lot of people don't seem to understand I have shifted gears. Sure I could show the AA when people fold to my bet but I think even that starts get people to notice you and start thinking about how you play (see below).

Lastly at the lower levels I play at when thinking about a call or a fold most players arent even really thinking about what you hold only the cards they hold. And if I have given them info about me it may jump out at them and get them thinking about what I have. I'd rather try to keep them operating on a lower level.

thomastem
03-02-2004, 01:07 PM
I show when I'm in the BB and everyone folded out to me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

talkinghead
04-02-2004, 03:53 AM
I disagree with the main reasons for showing cards,

Firstly showing bluffs, a tight image rather than a loose image is preffered for SNG's as you won't get cards all day and the bulk of your chips are won from blind nicks. Sure you might get more action on that AA, but that AA can be quite shy and likes to stay in the deck most of the time, rather not need em.

Secondly showing you've got the goods after a couple of nicks with a genuine hand. This is the only real time I give opponents at Party credit for a semblence of intelligence, they ain't gonna think after 5 blind nicks when you show your pkt Q's that you had similar strength hands every time. If anything they'll think that this show means that the previous 4 were in fact pure nicks with nowt.

And as an afterthought anytime you show your cards it draws attention to yourself, thats bad IMHO. The less your opponents think about you the better.

bernie
04-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Keep auto muck on. There's no reason to give away priviledged information.

How do you feel when a guy never shows? Hard to really confirm a line on his play isnt it? You ever notice that feeling of relief you get when someone shows you their hand when they dont have to? Why give them that feeling? Leave the seed of doubt and let it fester.

b

bernie
04-02-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) I don't have much respect for my opponents play

[/ QUOTE ]

And your goal for showing your hand to this type of opponent is?

[ QUOTE ]
2) I'm getting too much/too little action on my bluff/monsters

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise/lower your betting standards. You dont have to show your hands for this. There are much better ways of adjusting than showing your hands.

b

bernie
04-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Why not show when you only have to? Then they can wonder, if they finally called you and you have nothing, just how many pots you've stolen earlier. I've found this leaves a much longer lasting impression than just showing one hand.

How do you think when a guy who just went on a big run, showing down little, and he finally gets to showdown and has nothing? You'd likely call this player much more, wouldnt ya?

b

Bubbagump
04-02-2004, 01:38 PM
I will occassionally show an uncalled hand in live play at a B&M. But I never show when playing online for the simple reason that I beleive when playing in an online environment, any information you can get on an opponent or they you is far too valuable. I think most 'good' players online are taking full advantage of the note taking features on most sites and those notes are forever. There are very few people that I play against in a B&M who I think are going to remember I stole there BB with 92 6 months after. The same can't be said when playing online.

My .02,

Bubbagump

talkinghead
04-02-2004, 03:02 PM
It is a shame though, online poker doesn't have the facility to muck face up when you think you know your opponent has you beat, i wouldn't do this either but my opponents would giving me more information as to how they play

wayabvpar
04-02-2004, 03:20 PM
I very rarely show hands; the exception being when it is folded to me in the BB (I do the same thing in live poker). It doesn't give away any information, and it is something to keep everyone entertained =)

If I am getting NO action on my big hands, I MIGHT show an uncalled bluff, but that is extremey rare. I might show the rare loser when the winner REALLY sucked out, but that is even rarer. I am usually too busy screaming obscenities /images/graemlins/grin.gif

StellarWind
04-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Never show cards online.

It is very difficult for most people to watch nine faceless online opponents and develop individual pictures of their playing styles. Most players focus (often unconsciously) on at most two or three interesting people. The rest are gray blobs who attract little notice unless they do something striking.

Don't do anything to be colorful or attract attention! You don't want to be the one everyone notices. They won't just remember the cards you show, they will also remember a lot of other stuff that could have quietly passed by.