PDA

View Full Version : JJ In Loose Games

sthief09
03-02-2004, 09:39 AM
I know this is a case of being too automatic, but I've always open-raised JJ in the games I play (online 1/2, 2/4, 3/6, and B&M 3/6) regardless of position, and 3-bet any raise. This comes despite what I've read in HEFAP, in the section about starting cards in early position.

HEFAP says: "If no one has opened and you are in an early position, it is usually best to raise with JJ in a tight game and to just call with it in a loose game."

I understand the fact that you either want to chase people out, or if you can't do that, invite people in. But I just have a hard time limping with JJ. I feel like at the least I should be raising for value, since I can still win on occasion without flopping a set.

So, my question is, do any of you actually limp in these type games with JJ, or do you follow the "holy" advice of S&M? I've always wondered this, but just started reading these forums (something I wish I had done long ago), so I'm curious as to what the mass of good, experienced players here think.

Thanks!

Mike Gallo
03-02-2004, 09:44 AM
I disagree with that advice. I almost always raise with Jacks.

In the future use the search function. This subject comes up at least once a month.

sthief09
03-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Whoa, I just saw the long threat in the micro limit section on a similar topic. My thinking is the complete opposite as his, so I'm still curious what you all think.

BigEndian
03-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I'll raise regardless but I'm probably being simple minded about it.

Check out this: http://gocee.com/poker/HE_Val_Sort.htm

- Jim

novamob
03-02-2004, 11:00 AM
I always raise with Jacks, but I am prepared to cut'em loose if overcards hit the flop.

MRBAA
03-02-2004, 11:13 AM
The replies to my recent post on folding JJ preflop by Nate Tha Great and others were a breakthrough in my low limit he play -- the last piece of insight that has taken me from a marginal winner to crushing the little games the way I do stud (okay, I'm running good too). Although my question was a little different, the analysis applies. Find it and see what you think.