PDA

View Full Version : Hello,Players1 Degree of friendliness,...

08-17-2002, 02:00 PM
degree of persuasiveness --Are these variables positively correlated??

An early tight- aggressive player was showing a set on 6th Str. in a low-limit game.

The table was very friendly and the tight player was even more friendly than the other players.

With a set showing on 6th Str., he bet the max and made the following comment to his single opponent: "C'mon,call this bet just for the heck of it"!

Before the player heard the comment,he was going to fold. After the comment was made,he called. LOL!

As one becomes more friendly,does that mean he will usually have more persuasive power over weak opponents??

Just wondering.

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

08-17-2002, 06:59 PM
He probably called out of curiosity, that is a weak play. Could he beat a set or have a strong draw when he called?

In general, most player hate to lose money, but most hate to lose money to an asshole and do not feel as bad if the lost to a friendly player.

08-17-2002, 07:59 PM
most likely it means that you are playing such low limits that the money doesn't mean anything.

08-17-2002, 08:24 PM
that prostitutes are some of the friendliest people on the planet and I do find them to be quite persuasive. You may have a very good point!

Net Kook Numero UNO

08-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Larry,

Good to see you at this forum. I can't add anything to the other posters' comments except that I'm glad you're here.

Al

08-18-2002, 05:22 PM
I think that friendliness, in the right hands, can be a very strong asset. In big bet games, I have seen players who were trying to project an intimidating tough-guy image put completely on tilt by persistent and unrelenting friendliness.

08-19-2002, 03:04 AM
at that one! Curious about what??

He had NO draws and was NOT able to beat the set that was in plain site! LOL!

Isn't poker fun?

LOL! LOL!

Sitting Bull

PS I DID NOT laugh at the poker table.

I took a potty break and went to the john!! LOL!

08-19-2002, 03:07 AM

08-19-2002, 03:09 AM

08-19-2002, 03:11 AM

08-19-2002, 03:23 AM
that this concept of "friendliness" is more a function of how players respond to it and not a function of the game limit?

So U did witness this persuasive power causing players to play poorly in the bigger game limits??

Interesting?

There are players in the big bet games who are not concern about winning or losing.

They are there just to have a little fun.

All these players need is an "emotional bankroll".

They already have "deep pockets."

More then MANY poker pro's will ever have.

Sitting Bull

08-19-2002, 12:10 PM
that this concept of "friendliness" is more a function of how players respond to it and not a function of the game limit?

Offhand, I would have to say this is true.

So U did witness this persuasive power causing players to play poorly in the bigger game limits??

Oh, yeah. I'm not sure that the friendliness was "persuassive" as much as it was "dismissive." Sort of like the way you might ignore a todler having a tantrum.

08-19-2002, 04:53 PM
I think friendliness is always persuasive. I use it all the time. Some players just prefer to lose to a nice guy than a crank.

An example. The other week I'm playing 15-30 and the toughest player in the room is in a hand against me. This guy and his son play for a living, and he is there every day, and usually winning. I got to know him pretty well, and he hates the world. But me he likes, just because I'm nice to him. Anyway, It's him and I on the river, and debating whether or not to call him with my top pair, top kicker. He tells me to toss my hand and flashes me his Aces. I laugh and muck.

He has never done this before.

So, yes, friendliness can be a persuassive power.

08-19-2002, 05:26 PM
more of a "condescending" nature as opposed to "genuine friendliness"??

What I'm talking about is "genuine friendliness".

Sitting Bull

08-19-2002, 05:42 PM
U brought up the issue about the "tough player".

About a year ago,a college music major asked me about certain strategies in stud and I tutored him for awhile---away from the table!

He subsequently became interested in hold'em and Omaha . His main game at the present time is medium limit Omaha high. So far he is doing very well.

Well, he and I were "locking horns" at low-limit hold'em game one night and he told me NOT to call his river bet.

He knew he had me beat and showed me his hand.

He does NOT like to win my money because he considers me his "teacher".

Of course,I rarely "lock horns" with him because I very seldom play Omaha high.

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

08-20-2002, 02:11 AM
No, the friendliness was genuine. But its effect was to completely destroy an attempt to intimidate and tilt the table.