PDA

View Full Version : Two Table SnG, Final Table with AKs

Hotrod0823
03-01-2004, 09:34 PM
We are down to the final 9 in quick fashion. I am the short stack with 2400 and blinds are still relatively low at 25/50.

A new table and have no reads on the players from the other table.

I am on the Button with AKs

UTG+1 Raised to 200 (4xBB), MP calls, checked to me.

I raised all in here. I know I am not in all in or fold mode but wanted to pickup the 475 already in the pot and had a good hand if I did get called.

Folded to the original bettor and he calls my all in and has me covered. Turns over KK.

I didn't improve and busted out in 9th position.

Now was my play correct?

Is calling and folding on the flop if it misses a better play?

Is calling and pushing on the flop ANY flop a better move?

Is a smaller reraise more appropriate?

I have discussed this at length with a friend who thinks all in with AKs in raised pot is a mistake but I dissagree. Any other opinions?

Thanks,

Hotrod

cferejohn
03-01-2004, 09:38 PM
An UTG+1 raise at a full table is a little scary. A lot of players will only raise here with AA-JJ and AK, so you would be tied at best. While I am a big fan of playing AK aggressively after the flop, I think I would just call here.

NotMitch
03-01-2004, 10:21 PM
I like a call here better than a push for a few reasons. First AK is a still a drawing hand, you are behind even little old 22.

Secondly you will have position for the hand which is what you want with a drawing hand.

Thirdly with a raise of about 6x the pot you are likely to only get called by better hands.

So if you call you can see a flop and go from there. If it misses you and you face a big bet I think you can get away from it pretty easily.

SnakeRat
03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
I like the push unless this guy is a rock with tight raising standards. The little pairs will probably fold he may call with something like AQ which you dominate.

jwp
03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Funny to read this. Almost the EXACT same thing happened to me last night on Stars. The differences: there were 6 left, two of us were in the T2000s and the other 4 all had at least twice as much.

EP limps, UTG raised 4x (BB, which was 200), I push. He flips over KK and no A for me on board.

So, whether or not it's the right play -- you're not the only one making it. I too was hoping to pick up the pot uncontested but was willing to go to battle against an underpair or less for what was in the pot. Especially in my relatively disadvantaged chip position.

One problem with my play: the guy had been playing pretty tightly, so maybe the warning signs were there, but I only really thought of this after the hand was done. I was blinded by my own cards. Lesson learned. Again.

JWP