View Full Version : Play AKs right?

BabyJesus
03-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Tournament is a NL $30 on Party, 10 people left

Blinds are 30/60
My stack: 550

My hand: A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif

One limper in front of me. I raise to 100
Button calls cold, BB calls cold as well, limper folds.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, I bet 50, Both call

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, I check, Button bets 150, BB folds, I raise it to 300, Button calls

River: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet my last 100, Button calls with 80 chips left

Lose to Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Did I play it correctly? Pretty stupid that I lose to one out in the whole deck, just wanted to get input on if I should have played it different. Better to try and learn then whine about bad beats.

La Brujita
03-01-2004, 08:38 PM
You got very unlucky but you didn't play it that well imo. Was this a sit and go? I don't think Party has a level of 30/60 blinds but lets assume it is 25/50. After the limper your mini raise is a pretty weak play. You need to bet more here.

On the flop (a huge flop for you) you could either check raise or lead out betting. A pot sized bet here would be a standard play. There is 375 in the pot if my math is correct. What is the purpose of a 50 chip bet? You only have 450 in front of you so an all in bet or a check raise all in would have been your best choices

On the turn you should have pushed in after the button bet.

You were unlucky to have a one outer beat you but better betting and the QQ might well have been watching and complaining about his luck.

FWIW I have been playing only so so poker these last two weeks and my main problem is I have been trying to get a bit cute (in the way you were here), I have been giving free cards to trap too much and have been getting outdrawn. Nobody is perfect but I am taking a few days off and trying to rededicate myself to more solid straightforward poker.

Regards

stupidsucker
03-01-2004, 08:51 PM
I think a checkraise on the flop would have been perfect here. However, I think you still would have lost the hand. You both had good hands (yours is better) both are fairly short stacked with a good pot staring you down.
It was an unlucky river card. If you could have seen his cards before the river, you would have wanted him ALL IN, with what you had. your opponent had only 1 out and beat you.

BabyJesus
03-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Sorry the blinds were 15/30 not 25/50 and yes it was a Sit and Go.

My 50 chips bet on the flop was to try and show that i missed the flop and maybe get some more chips out of BB if he was on a weak draw. I put Button on a weaker ace and wanted to trap. I was trying to induce a bluff and double up. The QQ sat and thought for a while before calling me. Guess he thought i was trying to bluff.

BabyJesus
03-01-2004, 08:57 PM
I figure i would raise the least i could on the turn. It would make him a little more likely to call. I would rather him call with a worse hand and get the last of it on the river than bet him out and lose out on the last 250 chips i could get from him. If he's calling, he's pretty much all in at that point. There is no way anyone can really fold 100 chip bet for a pot that size.