PDA

View Full Version : Thievery

Homer
03-01-2004, 04:14 PM
I suggested earlier that someone take a stab at a pot, and no one agreed. So, just to make sure I'm not losing my mind, what do you think about this one? I bet here about 99% of the time against standard opponents.

Button limps (not tricky, this limp doesn't indicate a big hand), I complete with T9o, BB checks.

Flop - AJ7r

Checked around (I almost bet here, btw).

Turn - 7 (puts two hearts on board)

Checked to me, I bet...

-- Homer

spamuell
03-01-2004, 04:19 PM
If called, do you plan to fire again on the river unimproved?

JTG51
03-01-2004, 04:23 PM
You're not losing your mind. I'd often bet the flop and would almost always bet the turn if the flop was checked around.

Guido
03-01-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Checked to me

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/grin.gif That's funny

I would play the same way if they aren't tricky.

Guido

Homer
03-01-2004, 04:26 PM
In general, yes, I'll fire again on the river, as I think there's a better than 22% chance that my opponent is chasing a gutshot.

-- Homer

Mike Gallo
03-01-2004, 04:27 PM
I would bet here. I like this play.

Homer
03-01-2004, 04:27 PM
That's funny

Oops, I was the SB, wasn't I?

I'm only funny when I'm not trying to be.

-- Homer

Tosh
03-01-2004, 04:30 PM
I'd bet this turn too.

P.S. How can they check to you in the SB ?

devinthedude
03-01-2004, 04:30 PM
I dont mind this one as much, I dont think many people are gonna call you here unless they have some piece of it, and even if they do, hey you still might hit your gutshot.

In the other situation, people would still probably call your flop bet because of the raggedy board, even if they didnt have a piece of it, and you would be behind anyway.

Bob T.
03-01-2004, 04:32 PM
I like betting and firing again. There are so many straight draws out there, that it is likely that you win with a river bet.

Joe Tall
03-01-2004, 04:39 PM
I bet the flop here.

You are in the SB, eh?

"Checked to me, I bet..."

JTG saw the button power-check a flop, first to act this weekend so I'm not surprised. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Nice bet.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Ulysses
03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
I would bet the flop.

JTG51
03-01-2004, 04:46 PM
JTG saw the button power-check a flop, first to act this weekend so I'm not surprised.

Heh, that was a good one. Maybe the most blatant tell I've ever seen. Too bad Mike Caro wasn't there filming it for a new tells tape.

BigEndian
03-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Position and number of players is pretty key, I'm surprised noone else mentioned it yet.

This is also one of those times I love to pop the button for a raise if it's been checked to him and I'm in EP. More often than not, he is making his bet to pick up the pot. And I think you have a better chance of winning this hand in EP if you CR like this rather than betting out.

The other draw back to betting out in EP is that the likelyhood of someone behind you having a piece of the pot is higher (pretty obvious).

If you're in middle position, I think betting out is the better play. It presents a strong confidence in your hand and is most likely to pick up the pot right then.

If it's three-handed (like above), then position doesn't matter as much but it does still matter.

My $.02

- Jim

bernie
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
to have a shot at pulling this off, you will likely have to bet the river also since a draw is possible on the turn. so anyone picking up that draw, even though you are representing trips, will call.

blank hits the river, id bet.

b

Aaron Lovi
03-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Everyone else has answered and I have no problems with what they've said. But I suggest you put it to pen and paper and make some guesstimates just to see how much you're actually gaining in this spot. I did that a long time ago and I thought it was interesting.

Kenrick
03-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Aaron, what did your interesting guesstimations tell you?