PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Stars $30/$50 9 person S&G's

foobar
03-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey all,

I've been playing the Stars $30 1 table NLHE s&g's regularly now for a while, and have noticed over the last couple of weeks that the player makeup of these games has become much more akin to that of the $10 and $20's: Read lot's more maniac/fishes.

I'm not particularly interested in playing in a game where over 1/2 the table is prone to make what I consider completely irrational moves...I find it leads to a situation where you can't really make moves, and just have to get the cards to win. Don't get me wrong, I beat the $30 game before the perceived influx of fish, and I beat the $30 game after the perceived influx of fish. I would just rather play in a game w/ an overall higher percentage of "skilled" players...even if this means I'll be playing against more players who are better than I am. I'd rather get outplayed and learn something, then get beat by some amazing suckout.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of moving up to make the $50 1 table my regular game: bankroll is not an issue as I can comfortably cover 30 x Buyin. I'm interested to hear about people's experience in the $50 1 table Stars S&G's. How would you rate the average level of play compared to the $30 1 tables? Also, has anyone else who plays the $30 game regularly noticed a dramatic increase in erratic play?

Thanks.

CrisBrown
03-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Hiya foobar,

It really varies. I play two-table SNGs, but I see a lot of the same changes in opponent play that you've described, especially on the weekends. Some days, you'll get a table where the conditions are perfect for your game, and others you'll just have to sit and wait for the premium hands (and hope they don't get cracked). I've played $55 SNGs that played like $5.50s, and $33s that played like $215s.

I wish I had a better answer, but this is as honest as I can be.

Cris

foobar
03-01-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play two-table SNGs, but I see a lot of the same changes in opponent play that you've described, especially on the weekends

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense, I don't know why this hadn't crossed my mind before, as it seems obvious that there'd be a higher ratio of newbies playing on the weekend. Just seems to me that they'd start out w/ the $5 and $10 level tournies...shows what I know.

[ QUOTE ]
others you'll just have to sit and wait for the premium hands (and hope they don't get cracked).

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...you're on the money here...4 exits out of money from S&G's this weekend all on hands akin to the following:

Hero: AA
Villian pushes in ahead of hero preflop...hero is happy and makes call. Villian turns over K5o /images/graemlins/smile.gif Hero is super happy. Flop teaches hero not to be so smug: K55

jaydoggie
03-01-2004, 04:19 PM
theres a good post on here from earlier today that teaches you to lay down AA to a preflop allin. look it up ;D just giving you crap.

foobar
03-01-2004, 04:40 PM
ha...I would have...but I don't place as high a premium on my short-handed play as the original poster of that thread /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CrisBrown
03-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Hi foobar,

I feel your pain. Final table of a $215 SNG and I pick up AA in the cutoff. Min raise in front of me, and I put out a teaser raise to get him to come in behind me. SB goes all-in. Raiser folds. I call. He turns up AQs ... and hits a Q-high straight at the river.

Leaves me with less than 2xBB.

Buh-bye

Cris

CrisBrown
03-01-2004, 06:57 PM
And the next SNG ...

6 left, I catch KK. Get a guy all-in. He has AT and rivers the Ace.

Three hands later, with only 4xBB left, I catch 66 in the BB. Reraise all-in over opening raise. He has AT and rivers the straight and I'm out 6th.

So far today, in just two SNGs, I've lost pots with:

AQ vs. KT (he hit a K)
87s vs. K9o on a flop of T-8-7 (he hit the straight)
AQ vs. QT (he hit a T at the river)
AA vs. AQ (he hit a straight at the river)
74 vs. T9 (I was all-in on the blind, hit the 7 and he rivered the T)
KK vs. A4o (minimal loss, the A hit on the flop and I folded)
KK vs. ATo (see above)
66 vs. ATo (see above)

The odd thing is, I can't feel down about this. I've played really well, and just hit some bad outdraws, two in particular (on the AA vs. AQ, and KK vs. AT) that gutted my stack at the worst possible time. That's part of poker; it's why they call it gambling and not banking. But I figure I'm due for some good karma right about now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cris