PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan vs. AND 1 Mixtape Vol. 5

Bignutz
03-01-2004, 03:11 PM
I feel like a fundamentally sound basketball player getting schooled in a streetball game. If any of you have seen street basketball "streetball", you know that fundamental players get smashed in this lawless realm. My poker game has been stuck in "Rucker Park" lately. This wknd I dropped 300 against the likes of 62o with QQ. Should I stay away from these games, or continue knowing the "basics" will eventually prevail? Thanks

bisonbison
03-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Where were you playing?
What limit were you playing?
How long have you been playing?
How do you know that you're fundamentally sound?
How big is your bankroll?
Post some hands.

Bignutz
03-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Playing in home games and charity fund raising events
limits were 1/3, local card room, and home tourny
I've been playing 2+ yrs. Read a couple tomes
Maybe I'm not sound fundamentally, but I think, mo I know, I'm a better player than those jokers.
Bank roll - 500
I'll track the hands for next post.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Fundamentals will prevail in the end. And those AND1 players don't stand a chance in the NBA.

Nottom
03-01-2004, 04:37 PM
But thats because the NBA is a completely different game. As much people might want to say otherwise, the NBA is still a team game. The AND1 streetball is all about the individual.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-01-2004, 04:49 PM
I was just trying to use the basketball to poker comparission. Sure winning with 2 6 offsuit may be flashy, but doesn't stand a chance against solid fundamental play. If an AND1 player went one on one with Tim Duncan, you're saying Duncan wouldn't dominate him?

MCS
03-02-2004, 03:33 AM
To jump into the hoops discussion...Rafer (Skip To My Lou) Alston plays in the NBA. After bouncing around for a while after Fresno State, he's actually doing pretty well with the Heat right now. And with Dwyane Wade out for a week, he'll get even more run.

But yeah, he's about the only one. I heard him explaining on ESPN that he thought the rest of the AND1 guys didn't really understand how much work it took and that nobody was gonna come along and just hand them a job. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Oh, and AO got an NDBL contract a couple years ago. No idea what happened after that.

On the actual topic, I have all the same questions posed earlier.

Nottom
03-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Yes, but Duncan is an All-Star. Now lets put a good streetballer against random NBA 6th man and see how things play out. That would be more interesting.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-02-2004, 07:21 AM
Random 6th man would dominate too. Sure, the streetballer would make him look stupid every once in awhile, but all the glitz in the world won't be able to hide their fundamentally unsound game and the NBA'er would expose him.
Most streetballers arent good enough to even be in the NBA, what makes you think they could beat an NBA player?
With the exception of some of the streetball legends like Pee Wee Kirkland and Earl "The G.O.A.T." Mandigoat, for the most part streetballers simply wouldn't stand a chance.

Um. wait.. isn't this a poker forum?

Bignutz
03-02-2004, 11:41 AM
It is about poker. Should Duncan(me or any other wanna-be serious player) even be on the same court (read table) as those guys? Could Duncan change his game enough to handle those clowns? Should he change his game? Those are the questions my friends.