PDA

View Full Version : HULA (HU -Limit- Assn.) Official Draft Eligibility Declaration Thread

gonores
03-01-2004, 03:06 PM
JohnShaft and I began planning a HU LHE league a few weeks ago and it is now a reality. Thanks to Mike Haven, we have set up a pretty sweet deal at thepokerclub.com. Below is a list of rules we have set drafted. If you want to make some comments on them, feel free. Special thanks go out to Mike Haven, who has so many connections to the underworld that is online gaming that I am beginning to think he is heading up the crime syndicate that is pulling the DOS attacks :P

We have recruited a tentative list of captains for our league. The list is as follows:

GuyonTilt
ZeeJustin
JTG51 (reserve)
Homer
Vehn (reserve)
Stripsqueez
MG in NJ (reserve)
Robk

There are a few PMs still floating around, so reserves may be bumped if other players express a strong interest in being captain.

Please express your draft eligibility in this thread. I will close declaration for the draft at either 5pm Central Tuesday or at 49 players…whichever comes last. Rules are below.

HULA Rules

- The league will operate at thepokerclub.com (TPC from here on out). Mike Haven’s connections have led us here. The operator of the site has been quite accommodating. Each player will buy in for $25 + 1. Every participating player will then have access to an invite-only table that has been set up for this league. All HU matches for this league will be played at this one table (edit: we are currently bargaining for a second table with characteristics exactly like the first, details to follow soon), but it has been set for our specifications, and the site is only taking $1 total in rake from each player. Total expenses for the entire league for each player are $26.
- Teams will be made up of 7 players: 1 captain and 6 draft picks. The draft will be conducted in the snake format (1st team to pick in the first round picks last in the second round, and vice versa). We will start a thread where players can announce their draft eligibility in the very near future. Given the feedback from the primary thread, I am thinking we can probably get 6 to 8 teams put together (we will cap this at 8 teams, 56 players). The draft will take place on Thursday night, March 4th (I’m thinking ~7PM, eastern, but can adjust for captain preferences). Each captain can either actively select players during the draft or submit a “ranking” of available players prior to the draft. One of the commissioners will then announce that captain’s draft picks during the draft.
- Each week, two teams will square off in a series of heads-up matches, not unlike high school tennis matches. Each player will face one player from the opposing team, with the first team to four victories winning the match. Each player will receive 600TC and play 10/20 HE with 5/10 blinds. After 1 hour of play, stakes will escalate every fifteen minutes (20/40, 30/60, etc). Escalating blinds, although undesired, were implemented to speed up the games, as we may have as many as 28 matches to play at one table in one week.
- Date and time of any game can be set between the two players, as long as the game is held within the week of the match. Once a time is agreed upon, it will be posted on a designated thread to alert others to the scheduling. Results should be reported right after the match, on another designated thread (we can probably hijack the General HE forum for reporting purposes). Matchups will be set up by league commissioners (Team A’s 3rd draft pick vs. Team B’s 5th draft pick). The final week of the regular season and each playoff week will pit captain vs. captain, 1st round pick vs. 1st round pick, etc.
- Each team will face each other team in the league once in the regular season. A four-team playoff will immediately follow the regular season. Total # of individual victories will be the tie-breaker, with a one-game captain v. captain HU tourney as the second tiebreaker. Each team member of a playoff team will receive their buy-in as reward ($25), the team in the championship match will be rewarded $50 per player, and the league champ will receive $100 per player.
- Substitutes. In the event of a player knowingly having to miss a week’s matchup (vacation, heavy work load, etc), a substitute player can be called in. Naturally, there may be some players that will not be able to play because they missed out on the draft sign up or the teams would have been made uneven. These players will be considered free agents and will make up the pool of substitutes in such a case. These players do not need to pay to play at this table, but will not be entitled to any winnings either. In the event of a player abandoning the league entirely, that player’s team will take a loss for that player’s matchup for the first week of abandonment, after which the captain can select a player from the free agent pool as a replacement. This replacement player will not pay to play and will not be entitled to winnings either. The abandoning player’s share of winnings will be dispersed evenly amongst the rest of the original team members. The team may choose to compensate the replacement, but is not obligated to do so. In the event that someone brings in a “ringer” to substitute, a majority vote of four of the seven non-participating captains can vote the substitute off the team.

A few other notes:

The “real” reason I started working with John and Mike on this league is so I am more comfortable getting into a HU match with angry fish. I’m sure this experience will pay off bigtime for me, and will more than likely pay off in spades for you down the road too.

Don’t be afraid of getting schooled by other 2+2ers in a HU match. Very few of the people I have talked to have any strong HU experience. Be not afraid.

I would advise you to hold off on opening your TPC account until we give the word that everything is set up. There may be potential bonuses for players.

As I am writing this, we are still in the middle of our final Q&A sessions with TPC. They have been good at communicating with Mike in a quick manner, so I doubt there will be any delay in starting the matches, but we are not setting a start date just yet. Starting immediately on Friday, March 5, is ideal.

I will field questions at 5pm central tonight...until then, I'm gone...perhaps John or Mike will get some answers out before then.

Thanks for your participation

Doug, John, and Mike

J.R.
03-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I'll declare. I hope to get drafted.

JTG51
03-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Assuming I'm not forced to be a captain, I'm eligible for the draft.

I will be represented by Scott Boras, so I'll be expecting a multimillion dollar signing bonus from whoever picks me.

James282
03-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Sign me up for the draft as long as I can get a fat signing bonus.

Sounds awesome, pick me pick me!
-James

Homer
03-01-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm in, of course.

Homer
03-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Much like the Redskins and Orioles, I plan to pay an excessive amount of money for an inferior product.

Therefore, JTG will be on my team. Mwahaha.

-- Homer

BigEndian
03-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Sounds fun, I'm in.

- Jim

JTG51
03-01-2004, 03:42 PM
NM

jasonHoldEm
03-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm in...

The other day I got challenged to a $300 5/10 freezeout by a total fish when I hit two of my semi-bluffs against him in a row. I had to "politely" refuse because I am a scared little girl when it comes to HU matches.

http://www.martensfamily.com/Christmas2000/scared.jpg

Looking forward to developing some...

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~scgolf/images/balls%20in%20a%20basket.gif

Peace,
Jason

ElSapo
03-01-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm in -- definitely need to work on my HU play. Though it's all frighteningly similar to trying to get picked for kickball back in elementary school...

El Sapo

Ulysses
03-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Oh, oh, pick me, pick me, pick me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schneids
03-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Count me in.

And don't be afraid to ask Vehn about a drunk Vehn vs a sober Schneids2k02 match. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Mike Gallo
03-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Assuming I'm not forced to be a captain, I'm eligible for the draft.

No way dude. If I have to act as captain, so do you.

I will be represented by Scott Boras, so I'll be expecting a multimillion dollar signing bonus from whoever picks me.

So your saying you want to play in the least desirable location for the most money.

Wayne
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
I want in.

Spyder
03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but, I'm a newb and I'm allowed /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The $25+1 buyin...is that a one time buy-in, or, is this something I have to pay every week/match/day?

Spyder

pudley4
03-01-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HULA Rules

- The league will operate at thepokerclub.com (TPC from here on out). Mike Haven’s connections have led us here. The operator of the site has been quite accommodating. Each player will buy in for $25 + 1. Every participating player will then have access to an invite-only table that has been set up for this league. All HU matches for this league will be played at this one table (edit: we are currently bargaining for a second table with characteristics exactly like the first, details to follow soon), but it has been set for our specifications, and the site is only taking $1 total in rake from each player. Total expenses for the entire league for each player are $26.
- Teams will be made up of 7 players: 1 captain and 6 draft picks. The draft will be conducted in the snake format (1st team to pick in the first round picks last in the second round, and vice versa). We will start a thread where players can announce their draft eligibility in the very near future. Given the feedback from the primary thread, I am thinking we can probably get 6 to 8 teams put together (we will cap this at 8 teams, 56 players). The draft will take place on Thursday night, March 4th (I’m thinking ~7PM, eastern, but can adjust for captain preferences). Each captain can either actively select players during the draft or submit a “ranking” of available players prior to the draft. One of the commissioners will then announce that captain’s draft picks during the draft.
- Each week, two teams will square off in a series of heads-up matches, not unlike high school tennis matches. Each player will face one player from the opposing team, with the first team to four victories winning the match. Each player will receive 600TC and play 10/20 HE with 5/10 blinds. After 1 hour of play, stakes will escalate every fifteen minutes (20/40, 30/60, etc). Escalating blinds, although undesired, were implemented to speed up the games, as we may have as many as 28 matches to play at one table in one week.
- Date and time of any game can be set between the two players, as long as the game is held within the week of the match. Once a time is agreed upon, it will be posted on a designated thread to alert others to the scheduling. Results should be reported right after the match, on another designated thread (we can probably hijack the General HE forum for reporting purposes). Matchups will be set up by league commissioners (Team A’s 3rd draft pick vs. Team B’s 5th draft pick). The final week of the regular season and each playoff week will pit captain vs. captain, 1st round pick vs. 1st round pick, etc.
- Each team will face each other team in the league once in the regular season. A four-team playoff will immediately follow the regular season. Total # of individual victories will be the tie-breaker, with a one-game captain v. captain HU tourney as the second tiebreaker. Each team member of a playoff team will receive their buy-in as reward ($25), the team in the championship match will be rewarded $50 per player, and the league champ will receive $100 per player.
- Substitutes. In the event of a player knowingly having to miss a week’s matchup (vacation, heavy work load, etc), a substitute player can be called in. Naturally, there may be some players that will not be able to play because they missed out on the draft sign up or the teams would have been made uneven. These players will be considered free agents and will make up the pool of substitutes in such a case. These players do not need to pay to play at this table, but will not be entitled to any winnings either. In the event of a player abandoning the league entirely, that player’s team will take a loss for that player’s matchup for the first week of abandonment, after which the captain can select a player from the free agent pool as a replacement. This replacement player will not pay to play and will not be entitled to winnings either. The abandoning player’s share of winnings will be dispersed evenly amongst the rest of the original team members. The team may choose to compensate the replacement, but is not obligated to do so. In the event that someone brings in a “ringer” to substitute, a majority vote of four of the seven non-participating captains can vote the substitute off the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having set up some similar online gaming tournaments, there are more scenarios that need to be accounted for:

1-What happens if two players cannot agree upon a time to play the match? This happens much more frequently than you'd think. Before the tourney starts, we admins would set a default time that all matches would be played at if the players couldn't agree on a time to play.

2-How do you determine if a player has completely deserted his team? What happens in these two scenarios:
A - Player 1 doesn't show up for a match in Week 1. His team forfeits his game. Week 2 comes, he agrees on a time, but doesn't show up. Can his captain replace him immediately? Can his captain replace him but push the match off until his player can get there?

B-Same situation Week 1. Now Week 2 comes, and his captain wants the player off the team, so he designates a replacement immediately, and the match is played. A few days later, Player 1 comes back from vacation and is pissed because he's been replaced. Is he back in? Does the match count?

3-Disconnects. Do we wait a certain period for the player to be reconnected or is it "buyer beware"?

4-Late arrivals. Is there a grace period at the beginning of a match?

5-Free Agents. Will the same free agent be able to play for any number of different teams? Will he be able to play for only one team? Will he be able to play an unlimited number of games in one week for the same team? Will he be able to play an unlimited number of games during the season for one team? Will he be able to be a free agent for one team one week, then be picked up as a permanent replacement for a different team that week or a later week? Will teams be able to pick up free agents based on their current team record or some other system (first-come, first-served)?

6-Team sizes: I recommend an odd number of players on each team. This way no ties will occur, and no tie-breakers will be necessary (In the playoffs, the captains are already playing against each other, no need to make them play again to settle a tie)

I'll post more when I think of them.

pudley4
03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Oh yeah, I'm in too
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

morgant
03-01-2004, 04:57 PM
i heretofor declare my eligibility for the league as i have just gotten off the DL. yes el sapo, this does feel similiar to 4th grade kickball....which i dominated by the way, it provides a foreshadowing of my upcoming performance 20 years later in HULA.

Joe Tall
03-01-2004, 05:00 PM
If someone is looking for a total LAG on their team, count me in. As long as HavanaBanana is not on my team. I owe him a HU rematch from Jason's tourney. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peace,
Joe Tall

JTG51
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
No way dude. If I have to act as captain, so do you.

I told Doug that is no one else wants to I'll be a captain, but I'd rather not. I prefer to have the absolute minimum number of responsibilities possible.

So your saying you want to play in the least desirable location for the most money.

Yeah, pretty much. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BugsBunny
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm in.

AJo Go All In
03-01-2004, 05:09 PM
sure, i'm in too

Mike Gallo
03-01-2004, 05:14 PM
I told Doug that is no one else wants to I'll be a captain, but I'd rather not. I prefer to have the absolute minimum number of responsibilities possible.

My sentiments exactly, however I do not mind contributing my time and efforts to a good cause.

Trix
03-01-2004, 05:24 PM
I´m in, but I´m a HU noob, so dont 1. pick me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HavanaBanana
03-01-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as HavanaBanana is not on my team.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, a draftee can not choose his teammates, be afraid, very afraid....

brian0729
03-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Count me in and uh pick me! pick me!

Irishboy
03-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm in!

I could definitely use some help on my heads-up game.

Uh...I mean, I'm the greatest heads-up player in South Carolina. Pick me first

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fluff
03-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Oooh!! Me me, sign me up! I'm a HU champ!!

PS: Ok, I'm afraid I completely suck at HU play (I wouldn't know though, I never really played HU), but I would love to participate!

Nottom
03-01-2004, 06:20 PM
I declare myself for the draft. Lets hope this works out and I don't regret skipping my senior season.

The Gift Of Gab
03-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm in.

WEASEL45
03-01-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm in.

bunky9590
03-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Bunky is most certainly in.

The only week I may have to miss is possible week one, due to the move into our new house. (My DSL won't be hooked up for another 10 days or so.)

DeucesUp
03-01-2004, 07:19 PM
I played varsity heads-up holdem in high school /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll declare eligible.

DeucesUp

Acesover8s
03-01-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm up for it.

gonores
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the hard questions, pud. I see no reason why this can't go on more than once, so ironing out the kinks right now is good.

I am answering these on my own, so if John/Mike want to override me, they have the authority to do so.

[ QUOTE ]
1-What happens if two players cannot agree upon a time to play the match? This happens much more frequently than you'd think. Before the tourney starts, we admins would set a default time that all matches would be played at if the players couldn't agree on a time to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this isn't a big problem, since we have a week to play the match. I'm going to put the responsibility on the player picked later in the draft to find a sub. Once we figure out when a week starts and ends, we will have a cutoff to post playing times (for instance, if we start a week on Monday, we need matches scheduled by noon on Monday).

[ QUOTE ]

2-How do you determine if a player has completely deserted his team? What happens in these two scenarios:
A - Player 1 doesn't show up for a match in Week 1. His team forfeits his game. Week 2 comes, he agrees on a time, but doesn't show up. Can his captain replace him immediately? Can his captain replace him but push the match off until his player can get there?

B-Same situation Week 1. Now Week 2 comes, and his captain wants the player off the team, so he designates a replacement immediately, and the match is played. A few days later, Player 1 comes back from vacation and is pissed because he's been replaced. Is he back in? Does the match count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Captains will have a lot of power here.

Captain can kick a guy off his team whenever his player does not show for a week without finding a sub. It is to the captain's discretion whether or not the player can come back the next week.

This is what I hoped the money would fix.

[ QUOTE ]

3-Disconnects. Do we wait a certain period for the player to be reconnected or is it "buyer beware"?

[/ QUOTE ]

buyer beware...makes life easier for all of us

[ QUOTE ]
4-Late arrivals. Is there a grace period at the beginning of a match?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...we'll say 15 minutes of grace. If a player is not there at game time, the waiting player should post on the appropriate thread that he is waiting...Then post 15 minutes later if he doesn't show.

[ QUOTE ]
5-Free Agents. Will the same free agent be able to play for any number of different teams? Will he be able to play for only one team? Will he be able to play an unlimited number of games in one week for the same team? Will he be able to play an unlimited number of games during the season for one team? Will he be able to be a free agent for one team one week, then be picked up as a permanent replacement for a different team that week or a later week? Will teams be able to pick up free agents based on their current team record or some other system (first-come, first-served)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Enough with the hard questions already.

2 types of FAs. 1-week replacements and full-time replacements.

1-week replacements play 1 game for 1 team in 1 week. Then they are free. For simplicity sake, let's say that if there are multiple FAs, an FA that played once already cannot play again until the entire FA pool has been cycled through. If a team can time it so the same FA plays for them the next week, so be it, but we'll make it a rotating list. The first FA will be the first guy that signed up in the thread who didn't get picked. Since it is obvious all the guys who signed up before Ulysses will be picked and Ulysses won't be picked, we will be the first FA.

Permanant FAs are just that...they basically become a teammate. As long as they show up for matches, they stay on the team. Once they are kicked off the team, they are not allowed back into the league for the rest of the year. Captains are allowed to pick their permanent FAs.

Given the amount of the buy in, I hope this just stays friendly and we don't have anyone working the system.

[ QUOTE ]
6-Team sizes: I recommend an odd number of players on each team. This way no ties will occur, and no tie-breakers will be necessary (In the playoffs, the captains are already playing against each other, no need to make them play again to settle a tie)

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it will be 7 to a team. Unless this thing skyrockets, I don't see it changing. Given the fact that total number of individual wins will be the first tie-breaker to get into the playoffs, I don't foresee a H2H match happening...its like PF and PA in football...its just there when you need it.

playoff qualifiers
-Team wins - if ties
-Individual wins - if tied
-H2H captain matchup

I can already tell there is going to be headaches involved, but I hope we can keep this light with the right amount of motivation to win. If you really want to work the system for a total difference of $100, you're pretty pathetic.

gonores
03-01-2004, 07:36 PM
One-time $26 fee to play all your matches.

Total cost to you: $26

gonores
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
OK

Havanabanana wants to captain. I'm going to take MG out since he was part of the Monday PM instead of the Sunday PM, so he's like a reserve for the reserves. I wouldn't be shocked if we can get JTG and Vehn off the board by tomorrow, though.

Good news. TPC has agreed to set it up so a new table opens whenever one is filled, so we can simultaneous matches. Furthermore, the tables will be open for viewing and chatting to all comers.

Blind structure - has been changed slightly. This is not finalized yet (I am only speaking for me...not all 3 commishes), but we can't make the escalating every 15 mins after an hour work. Therefore, blinds will make a jump at the hour from 10/20 to 20/40 to 30/60 etc.

I just scared myself when I thought to myself..."self, what if the site goes down?" I guess we'll cross that path when we have to. FWIW, I've spent some time on TPC, and it's been flawless, not to mention lightning quick.

Oh yeah....if we have too many players, some people aren't going to get picked. If you allow your feelings to be hurt by it, then it sucks to be you. Don't take anything that goes down in this league personally.

The allegations that HULA is just a front for an English drug-smuggling ring are completely unfounded, and I refuse to answer any more questions without my lawyer present.

That is all

Doug

mosch
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
If anybody wants a nutty bastid on their team, I'm your man.

Joe Tall
03-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Awe, mannnn, I thought I'd be the #1 LAG of the draft, dammit. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

mosch
03-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Compared to me you're just a weak-tight nit!

Don't even try to compete!

ZeeJustin
03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
If there are too many people trying to become captains, I'll happily give up my spot. I don't really care. Either way works for me.

LivingLegend58
03-01-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm in.

stripsqueez
03-01-2004, 08:54 PM
i think i'm the only non american captain

in the interests of keeping folk from awkward time zones in the one team (and the more pressing interest of smacking up americans - thats all you canadians too - you speak the same and live on a continent called america so dont be repying with that "we arent american" sob story) please PM me if you come from a cultured, tolerant part of the world so i can draft you

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Bozeman
03-01-2004, 08:57 PM
I declare that I'll be the steal of the 7th round.

Ulysses
03-01-2004, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah....if we have too many players, some people aren't going to get picked. If you allow your feelings to be hurt by it, then it sucks to be you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Great line.

Anyway, here's what I propose wrt this in the spirit of making this a learning experience for as many 2+2ers as possible:

I think this will be a smashing success. When it's done, I'm sure you'll do another one. In the signups for Season Two, captains should have to draft anyone who expressed interest in this round but didn't get picked before picking people who already played or new players who didn't express interest in Season One. Members of the winning team should have the option of either becoming captains or getting the same "draft priority" as the non-picked players. Maybe captains and organizers should get that too. Whatever, you get the general idea.

I think that kind of makes sense.

gonores
03-01-2004, 09:40 PM
HULA II is a long way down the road. I think my track record from running the 2+2 table shows I care about the green player, and this league will show that too. I will try to to get all players involved in some serious way, but here's the beauty of the league:

Basically no one in the league plays HU extensively, other than you and, to some extent, GoT. I've heard it over and over from people I've been talking to about this that they suck at HU. Here's what that means...the playing field is at least somewhat leveled, and that means that hard work is what it's going to take to win in this format. At least if I were a captain, I would be looking for players who appear to be hard workers as opposed to natural talents. It would be a shame to see a hard worker who played in HULA I be passed up in HULA II because some guy who obviously isn't putting work into his game wants to play a "game." If a player gets passed up this time around, maybe he ought show some initiative, start posting more, etc. Players ought to be drafted on merit. If that means a new player gets passed up because no one wants to take a flyer on a rookie, he has time to prove himself before HULA II.

We can also add expansion teams and/or more players as necessary.

I hope this makes sense to you...this post wasn't my best writing effort.

Catch of the Day
03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
I am in...

Rugbyrat
03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Hello. My name is Rugbyrat and I am willing to play. As the "stranger" tag to the left indicates, I'm a newbie, but I'm willing to learn.

Since I am a "stranger", here's a little info on me: I'm 5'6", blond hair, blue eyes with "a few extra pounds". I enjoy beer, poker, and very short walks on the beach, since I'm a smoker.

As to poker, I know that having all red cards is not usually a winning hand, and that even though an ace only has one pip, it's still a pretty high card.

My goal in life is to go down in a wild west gunfight after getting caught cheating in a poker game.

Well, I'm confident this post will see me go very high in the draft!

Seriously, this sounds like fun and a great learning experience. Count me in if you need warm bodies at the table.

Rugbyrat

JTG51
03-01-2004, 10:20 PM
I want to get a chance to play next season if I don't get drafted this time around.

Schneids
03-01-2004, 10:33 PM
I don't think you have anything to worry about JTG /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

surfdoc
03-01-2004, 11:08 PM
I have mad skillz to pay the billz and know pretty much all there is to know about HU play....okay I can't really back that up. Anyway, it sounds like fun and a good educational opp. Count me in although I will be on vacation 4/3-4/9. I don't know how long it will take.

MaxPower
03-01-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm in.

mosta
03-01-2004, 11:33 PM
I'll play. I am a Paradise play-money heads-up master. And this is really for play money...

ZeeJustin
03-01-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello. My name is Rugbyrat and I am willing to play. As the "stranger" tag to the left indicates, I'm a newbie, but I'm willing to learn.

Since I am a "stranger", here's a little info on me: I'm 5'6", blond hair, blue eyes with "a few extra pounds". I enjoy beer, poker, and very short walks on the beach, since I'm a smoker.

As to poker, I know that having all red cards is not usually a winning hand, and that even though an ace only has one pip, it's still a pretty high card.

My goal in life is to go down in a wild west gunfight after getting caught cheating in a poker game.

Well, I'm confident this post will see me go very high in the draft!

Seriously, this sounds like fun and a great learning experience. Count me in if you need warm bodies at the table.

Rugbyrat

[/ QUOTE ]

Buyer beware. Anyone that drafts this man before I get a chance will be added to my personal hit list. That's right, I'm calling dibs!

gacm
03-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Im in.

Ulysses
03-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Man, what a taskmaster. Holy cow. No free rides getting into any league you run! Nice.

BBill
03-02-2004, 12:15 AM
I'm in ! but will not be around during the draft on Thursday

Shymon
03-02-2004, 12:17 AM
i know i am only a lurker here but i am a winning online player (not that that means a whole heck of lot these days) and i would be interested in playing if anyone wants to pick me up. not promising to be a superstar just a solid reliable player whose not afraid to mix it up HU.

BottlesOf
03-02-2004, 12:18 AM

Jeremy'sSpoken
03-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Sounds good it's either $26 on this or at the local strip club. Either way I'm going to leave frustrated.

sorry Mercedes.

gonores
03-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Why it appears my conservative roots are showing. I'll have you know this isn't the coldest thing I've done in a position of power. My voting record on such things speaks for itself. I've voted to have the maternity wing torn down at the local hospital to make way for a smog factory. I've tried to pass legislation to make it rainy every day, and I have increased taxes on the smile time and time again. And I drive through school zones at 16 mph. Most evolved societies would not allow a monster like me to walk amongst the common man...thank you America. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously...this league is an educational opportunity. Why exclude players who are going to really learn from this, even if it is their second time around, to make room for players who haven't given us any reason to believe they get anything out of it? If demand calls for it, we can get more players in next time...or even this time if this gets big, but I won't exclude deserving players for players who may or may not deserve it.

And John and Mike have their say here too...I've only been talking for myself.

BBill
03-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Question: Do the captains benifit prize wize if their team wins? or should I have read the rules more carefully ?

gonores
03-02-2004, 12:32 AM
captains earn the same as all other players.

you don't need to be present on thursday night...only captains (and that's only if they do not submit a draft list before then)

Doug

CCass
03-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Bring the big guns to the big wars...or something like that. So with my trusty pea-shooter in hand, I hereby declare myself eligible for the HULA draft. I have not yet picked an agent, so I can return to the college ranks if I am undrafted.

BBill
03-02-2004, 01:15 AM
-IF- I get on a team I will be opening a new account at ThePoker Room, should somebody (like a captain or an oganiser of this event or Mike Haven) refer me and get the referal bonus ?

gonores
03-02-2004, 01:18 AM
it's thepokerclub.com

tomorrow, I will post details on how participants can maximize their bonus-ocity.

Doug

BBill
03-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Thats actually what I meant, the poker club

thanks

JohnShaft
03-02-2004, 01:22 AM
I count a total of 44 signups. Great stuff. And that's not counting Gonores and myself.

As for referrals that is something we have talked about. Mike's put a lot of work into communications with TPC so I know I'll be signing up with Mike for sure.

I may also be putting up a website for people to keep track of results/teams/etc in the next few days.

I'm glad everyone is so eager to be a part of it, so much so it looks like it might be a great success.

I'm one of the legion on here that's long been interested in HU play but has never gained the experience to be confident at it. Hoepfully, for many of us, this will be a step in correcting that.

Dylan Wade
03-02-2004, 01:45 AM
i'll play.

GuyOnTilt
03-02-2004, 01:55 AM
Wow, quite a response this thing's gotten so far! I'm pumped!

I know we haven't picked teams yet, but I just wanted to say that MY TEAM IS GOING TO DOMINATE HARDCORE!!!

And for my potential teammates, things to think about:

Team name ('cause ya just gotta have a name, right?)
Team slogan
Team logo (perhaps change our 2+2 pics?? Unity rules!)
Whether or not to take it easy on Joe's team (since they've obviously handicapped by their captain /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

GoT

TheGrifter
03-02-2004, 02:10 AM
I'm interested.

But for some reason I think this is going to be like the time I tried out for Varsity Cheerleading...hmmm....

Nick B.
03-02-2004, 02:20 AM
i would also be interested in playing

JTG51
03-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Havanabanana wants to captain. I'm going to take MG out since he was part of the Monday PM instead of the Sunday PM, so he's like a reserve for the reserves. I wouldn't be shocked if we can get JTG and Vehn off the board by tomorrow, though.

Come on folks, don't be shy. I know some of you are dying to be captains. I bet if you PM gonores and offer a bribe he'll let you.

Bob L
03-02-2004, 02:31 AM
I'd like to play.

Fudgenut
03-02-2004, 03:55 AM
I'm up for it.

HavanaBanana
03-02-2004, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think i'm the only non american captain

[/ QUOTE ]

Think again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am looking for players who are interested in becoming better players, what your current level is doesent matter.
I want players who are committed to come to team practices where we talk strategy and play to find our weaknesses.
Send me a PM if you are a serious player, who is open for learning.
I do not care if you never played H/U before, I'll draft you if you are 180th on the list if you have the right attitude.

<font color="red">T</font><font color="blue">o</font><font color="orange">T</font>

AAmaz0n
03-02-2004, 06:01 AM
I want to play. Not a HU limit expert, but I'm sure that my natural Klingon aggressive tendancies will have a chance to come out. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shauna

krazyace5
03-02-2004, 06:02 AM
I am all for it, although I do not have much experience. Sign me up.

GuyOnTilt
03-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey ToT,

Are you a captain or something?

GoT

rusty JEDI
03-02-2004, 06:31 AM
<font color="red">You chicken sh!t pansies. Of course you have to go and pick to play at a site that wont allow Canadians. You all of course know we are the king of kings of all things. Perhaps we will have our own Canadian League and you can bring your pathetic champion to play our worst player, that might be a good match.

rJ

P.S. In case you didnt get it, for some lame ass reason thepokerclub.com does not allow Canadians. </font>

Mike Haven
03-02-2004, 06:35 AM
thepokerclub.com does not allow Canadians

Aaaaaaaaaargggggggghhh!!!

HavanaBanana
03-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Yes, saw you had signed up, like some good competition /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jek187
03-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Even though there's a high probability that this will lead to numerous non Zoo posts, I'm in.

Feel free to draft me high as I intend to run well.

Sheriff Fatman
03-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Count me in for the draft please.

Sheriff

1800GAMBLER
03-02-2004, 08:35 AM
I'll play if picked.

Stagemusic
03-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a great time....I'm in.

Joe Tall
03-02-2004, 08:52 AM
"Whether or not to take it easy on Joe's team (since they've obviously handicapped by their captain"

I'm not a captain and since I'll go undrafted, I'm hoping to be the top Free Agent. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peace,
Joe Tall

gonores
03-02-2004, 09:03 AM
There is nothing the commissioner's office cannot do for a briefcase full of crisp $100s. Just ask ToT.

My only real selection criteria for captains is that I am absolutely positive all captains will stick with this team and see it through to the end. Well, that and I want to make sure my captains have more to lose than gain if they try anything funny with the league. I think all current captains would lose a lot more if they were banished from 2+2 than they would gain by working the system over.

D

GuyOnTilt
03-02-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm not a captain

What thee...Crap. Now I guess I'll have to trash-talk Homer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

PS. Homer's team is going DOWN!!!

gonores
03-02-2004, 09:13 AM
It's not because of a lack of effort on my part. I think public goading is in order here...it's not too late.

BookOfIcculus
03-02-2004, 09:18 AM
consider my hat in the ring

bunky9590
03-02-2004, 09:32 AM

BigEndian
03-02-2004, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good it's either $26 on this or at the local strip club. Either way I'm going to leave frustrated.

sorry Mercedes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can afford both. No need to rob yourself of the satisfaction of paying some lady you don't know to shake her wublies in your face.

Ah, capitalism.

- Jim

Simon Diamond
03-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Will you be looking to archive results/standings/stats on a dedicated website?

Simon

gonores
03-02-2004, 10:22 AM
I think both John and Mike are thinking about building a site.

What is it with you guys across the pond and building websites for the hell of it?

Get in touch with John and Mike and I'll let you guys figure out who is going to get the official site deal. Perhaps for HULA II we will have corporate sponsorship and we can contract out the site, but for now, I have nothing to offer but my thanks.

D

Bubu
03-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a great idea.

How long do you think each match will last ?
I've never played a hu tournament...

What's all this talk about drafting ? How do the
captains (or anyone for the matter) know how good the players are ? Should we pm captains that we are interesetd or just reply here ?

I think its great that you guys are putting this together.
Its a fantastic opportunity to learn and have fun at the same time. Doesn't get much better than that !

Bubu

Franchise (TTT)
03-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Yea, I'll play.

gonores
03-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Matches will probably last some time between 30 and 120 minutes.

Captains, I'd assume, will go out and read your collection of posts. No need for you to do anything but sit there and look pretty

Learning is FUN!!

Festus22
03-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Every great battle needs it.

Add my name to the list.

rayrns
03-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Draft me!!! And then at first available opportunity, trade me to the opposition!!

smudgex68
03-02-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm in and I've suggested a name for the team

Heads Up Greatest Ever WInning Low Limit Internet Egotistical Superstars

or Huge Willies for short

jtf
03-02-2004, 11:12 AM
pick me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pridmore
03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
At the 102 position in this thread, I assume that my chances are better at flopping a Royal than to be drafted into the league, but I declare my self eligible.

I have no problem being someone's 12th alternate.

BBill
03-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I may also be putting up a website for people to keep track of results/teams/etc in the next few days.

wow - that would be great, I'll look for the post

gonores
03-02-2004, 12:23 PM

PokerNoob
03-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm in. I alternate between maniacal and weak-tight, so I ought to be awful at HU.

n1stunnor
03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
I'll play.

Bubu
03-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi,
I'm available. And lonely. I can cook and and clean.

Pick me !

Bubu

03-02-2004, 02:36 PM
I`m in.

calvin
03-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Put me in, coach!

Calvin

cjs
03-02-2004, 03:22 PM
If there is still room I'm in.

Al

DarkKnight
03-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Count me in.

Simon Diamond
03-02-2004, 03:28 PM
An idea - I know the league is in the early stages of planning, but as you seem to be adopting an American style format (regular season-playoffs), how about running an all-star game with the best players from the season too. Maybe a the captains could play a league select or whatever.

Just a thought.

Simon

NLSoldier
03-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Count me in!

itsmarty
03-02-2004, 06:37 PM
If there are any spots open for players, I'd like in.

Thanks,

Martin

gonores
03-02-2004, 07:12 PM
J.R.
James282
BigEndian
JasonHoldEm
ElSapo
Ulysses
Schneids2k02
Wayne
Spyder
Pudley4
Morgant
Joe Tall
BugsBunny
Ajo go all in
Trix
Brian0729
Irishboy
Fluff
Nottom
The Gift of Gab
Weasel45
Bunky9590
Deucesup
Acesover8s
Mosch
Gonores
JohnShaft
Livinglegend58
Bozeman
Catch of the Day
Rugbyrat
Surfdoc
Maxpower
Mosta
Gacm
BottlesOf
Bbill
Shymon
Blade XX
Ccass
Dylan Wade
TheGrifter
Nick B.
Bob L.
Fudgenut
AAmaz0n
Krazyace5
Jek187
Sheriff Fatman
Jay!
Stagemusic
BookofIcculus
Bunky9590
Bubu
TTT
Festus22
Rayrns
Smudgex68
Jtf
Pridmore
Pokernoob
N1stunnor
LarsR
Calvin
Cjs
Darkknight
Simon
NLSoldier
Itsmarty
Inthacup

By my count, that is 70 players. I'll double check, but I think we can make this league 9 players deep, which would make the draft 64 players deep (8 draft picks and 1 captain for a total of 9 players on each team). Then we have 6 subs/FAs.

Let me know if your name isn't on this list but should be on this list.

I'm going to post another Updates thread right after I post this, but I wanted to cut it off here.

Nate tha' Great
03-02-2004, 07:16 PM
I think I should probably be on here.

gonores
03-02-2004, 07:24 PM
ok...you're in....JT actually just convinced me to make this a seperate post, so I guess this isn't really official.

bicyclekick
03-02-2004, 07:29 PM
count me in too!

magithighs
03-02-2004, 09:59 PM

CrackerZack
03-02-2004, 10:32 PM
I've been needled... put me in if there is still time.

Filip
03-03-2004, 07:23 AM
If it isnt to late i would like to signup too!

JTrue
04-09-2004, 03:01 AM
What is this post about?

Homer
04-09-2004, 09:42 AM
The first post in the thread clearly indicates what it is all about.