PDA

View Full Version : Using the idiot move

CrackerZack
03-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok, here is the move...

You raise in some bad position, like say, the BB, and say the SB is in and the C/O is in (he limped) and that's it. You have AA when you raise, and the flop comes something like AT4r. Do you ever check?

I've done it a few times at party 3-6 games because somehow the most ridiculous check in the world still gets something like QT to pay you off. But does this work in higher limits? Live? I never do it because it just seems so unbelieveably obvious and half the people will call anyway if they hit anything.

Why do I feel like a newbie making this odd rambling post? Anyone do this? can you do it without breaking out in laughter thinking how funny it would be if they actually fell for it?

DcifrThs
03-01-2004, 02:46 PM
late CO limper, sb completes you have aa in bb and raise all call.

at4rb flops and you want to check?? NO. not once, never. ok well maybe in some rare ass occasions but almost never. if you check you give qj, kj, kq free shots to hit and make a LOT of money from you since youd take it to a few big bets before slowing down. pot is 6 sb's on flop so not exactly "small" but not big either...

checking gives 'em a chance to make what 2nd best hand that they wouldn't already have and pay you off with? i don't see a 2nd bester that a free card'll provide...BUT i do see how that free card gives 'em a free shot at the miracle card.

i would almost never check the flop here...just doesn't seem right for above reasons.
-Barron

tpir90036
03-01-2004, 02:48 PM
i would only do this if the CO were aggressive and i thought there was a good chance i could land a check-raise on the turn....but if the CO were aggressive he would have raised the blinds...so chances are no one is betting this board unless the CO happened to limp with something like A4s...and i certainly don't want to give someone with KJ a free shot to land his gutshot. so no, i would bet here almost 100% of the time.

CrackerZack
03-01-2004, 02:49 PM
I agree. I should've made the board A94r. Something where you're so far ahead, and your check just says "I have a huge hand".

DcifrThs
03-01-2004, 03:00 PM
i still don't think a check should be considered b/c as stated if CO was aggressive you would have been raised in your blinds. limp screams passive player. passive players call. so bet your hand and get him hooked on the flop so he'll pay you off with those double sized bets...checking the flop gives him an out to leave for a bet on the turn whereas a flop bet and call would result in a much higher probability of being called on turn and river.

either way bet it!
-Barron

Kenrick
03-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Except in rare situations such as having flopped the nuts or whatever, it didn't take too many bad beats for me to learn "Don't slowplay nothin'." If someone wants to take off a card, make them pay for the chance to beat you. If you bet and they fold, take your small pot and be happy you didn't risk giving them that money for free.

Plus, betting into them gives them the chance to raise you to try to bluff you out or whatever, allowing you to reraise if you choose. You never get to reraise if you don't bet in the first place.