PDA

View Full Version : Learning a lesson the hard way in a NL Hold Em tourney

MrPack
03-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Ok, so Saturday I play in my first ever live NL Holdem Tourney.... I placed 25th out of 120, not too bad, but actually horrible, and here's why.......

I busted out with 3 J's, to a straight draw, that really wasn't a straight ..... I know it's 1000% my fault, and I didn't sleep much last night because of it. I swear I am right about this, even though I asked a couple guys about an hour after I busted out, only because I was on the phone telling a buddy of mine what happened when it occurred to me, that I really screwed up.......

I get dealt pocket JJ, raise $500 preflop. One caller. Flop brings J,10,Q. I lead out with another $500 bet, get raised $500, and come over the top all in. We flop our cards, she groans because she sees 3J's and she has 10,Q for 2 pair. The turn brings a 9, and everyone is like, "oh man she's got a straight", river brings a rag, 4d....... I never looked at her cards after that, as I was pissed that i lost to a straight....
Walk away have a beer, then my buddy calls, and I start explaining to him how I busted... He's like, dude you didn't lose, she only had a 4 card straight!..... I just stood there,,, Holy shiiit he was right! I hang up and go back there not wanting to cause a scene and look like a sore loser, as it is now about an hour after I went broke. A couple of other guys went broke in that time, and I asked them, what she had in the hole. They assured me, she had the straight and not to worry.

One, why would she raise, then call my all in bet at that time with a 10, K, because all she could have had at that point is a pair of 10's, with 2 over cards and a player calling all in and her having to draw to the straight?
Two, why would she groan when seeing my 3 J's?

I screwed myself, I'm sure of it. But I'm also wondering why no one else caught it at the table. We were down to the final 25, with some good card players.....

Go ahead blast me, I have blasted myself..... Just let this be a lesson though.

Yep, I'm an idiot

CrackerZack
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Whether its rubbing salt in or not, holy $hit is that dumb. What was the buyin and prize pool? I hope it wasn't more than $25 buyin event. She turns over 2 pair, then the next card gives her a straight? How can this even make sense. To have 2 pair and a straight would require a straight on board.

MrPack
03-01-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whether its rubbing salt in or not, holy $hit is that dumb. What was the buyin and prize pool? I hope it wasn't more than $25 buyin event. She turns over 2 pair, then the next card gives her a straight? How can this even make sense. To have 2 pair and a straight would require a straight on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I could be as wrong as possible here, but I swear that's what she had, and I haven't the faintest clue as to why it never registered. I talked to a few people after they were knocked out and they assured me she had the straight.

It was a $40 buy in, my first everh live tourney.

Hope I can sleep tonight

CrackerZack
03-01-2004, 02:48 PM
40 bucks, live and learn. If others swear she had the straight are you sure the board was KJT or something? that would be a pretty bad all-in by her but with a buyin that low, not out of the question.

LetsRock
03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm guessing you misread her cards. Maybe she had somehting like KQ (TP2K and straight draw). I doubt that the table (or the dealer) would have let you walk away if you didn't get smoked (unless you really pissed off the table!).

Tough break, but I would guess you erred on the side of reading her cards, rather than wlaking away from the best hand.

Go get some sleep! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Irishboy
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
We recently played a 10 man home tournament. Low buy-in ($20) because we had 3 brand new players who wanted to see what it was like to play in a tournament.

Anyway

Good player makes pot sized bet from early position, Newbie calls in late position.

Flop comes A Q 5 rainbow

Good player makes little bet, Newbie makes big raise, Good player goes all in, Newbie calls

Flip cards over
Good player has QQ
Newbie has A 7

An experienced player says "only card that can help him is an ace"

Next card...blank

Next card: Ace!

Everyone goes crazy...we can't believe he hit his 2 outer.

The next day the good player calls me and asks me to recall his hand at which point I realize he made a full house and the newbie was pretty much drawing dead.

It's crazy to think that nobody picked up on this, but when someone said "he needs an ace to win" that's what was stuck in everyone's head.

Groupthink in action