PDA

View Full Version : Question about raising

Phil Van Sexton
03-01-2004, 01:42 PM
What is preferred way to declare a raise in spread/pot/no limit games? I always seem to mess this up.

Let's say someone bets $5, and I want to raise $10 ($15 total). Would you say....
- "Raise 10"
- "Raise to 15"
- Other?

Mike Gallo
03-01-2004, 03:52 PM
What is preferred way to declare a raise in spread/pot/no limit games? I always seem to mess this up.

When I first started playing in no limit tournaments I would verbally declare raise. I would then match the original bet and then count out my raise and tell the dealer, raise it x amount.

LetsRock
03-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Either way is fine. No matter which way you do it, someone will ask for clarifiaction.

Just make sure you say "raise" when you move your chips out or take plenty of chips with you. If you place a calling amount on the table, you can't go back to your stack for more. If you say "raise", you can take your chips out one at a time if you wish - but I wouldn't advise this practice!

hutz
03-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Welcome to 2+2! As others have noted, it is very important to say "raise" before you start pushing chips in front of you. From there, I prefer to state the total of the bet and my raise ($15 in your example). MG's approach seems like a good one, too. Pay attention to what the general convention seems to be in the game you're in at the time. Going with the flow whenever possible will often serve you well when you're in unfamiliar territory (e.g., playing somewhere you've never played before).

daryn
03-03-2004, 02:50 AM
i find that the most lucid way to make a raise is to say

"i make it X"

of course, where i play, i say this and still have people asking questions like.. "ok so you mean you RAISE X? or you make it X total"

Bad Apple
03-09-2004, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As others have noted, it is very important to say "raise" before you start pushing chips in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to yell "Female Power I'm Bumping it!"

toots
03-09-2004, 03:36 PM
I once saw a guy with a rather novel technique.

He'd dump a whole bunch of chips in, then wait for the dealer to tell him how many he had to take back.

Only works for limit, of course, and it does annoy the crap out of everyone else.