PDA

View Full Version : Why are my bluffs so obvious?

Crispyk
03-01-2004, 12:41 PM
The biggest leak in my game has to be bluffing, I play very very tight aggressive, I wait for the hand and i shoot out hard at it. But The biggest problem i have is when I am heads up in a hand with someone else, and the flop misses me. Once in awhile i'll shoot out at it and try to win the small ones. Yet it seems like every time i do I get check raised or reraised hard. I don't know if my bluffs are obvious and they are exposing my weakness. Or if i just keep bluffing into a better hand. My question to everyone is, what is a good amount to throw out at a small pot when you miss. Should you bet the pot, should you bet 1x bb 2x bb...etc.... I'de love if someone could give me some advice on how i should play these. and what a good amout to throw out is?

TylerD
03-01-2004, 12:51 PM
It depends on the size of your stack, their stack and pot relative to your stack, but a 1/2 to full pot sized bet is usually good. If you think they *are* pushing you around a re-raise could be good if you have a reasonable stack, you think they might lay down and if you have outs.

Crispyk
03-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks for that advice, apreciate it!

PrayingMantis
03-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Bluffing, like many other aspects of NL tournaments and NL at large, is a form of art. There are no answers for your general question. I think it'll be better for you to post some specific hands, to which the more expirienced players here could reply.

One thing that gradualy works for me, is the understanding that bluffs should be based on your opponent's fears, combined, of course, with what's on the board. That means you should pick, very cautiously, the opponents you bluff, and do it only when you feel there's a reason for it to work. Eventualy you'll get a feel for it. It is certainly one of the most difficult-to-learn aspects of the game. I'm working on it consistently too.

PrayingMantis

GoSox
03-01-2004, 01:30 PM
You're probably also bluffing too often. If you're bluffing a miss on AK everytime you're gonna get hurt. Once you get "caught" in a SNG people start really focusing on your play. On party, starting with 800 in NL you can't be making 2x pot bluffs and last very long.

triplc
03-01-2004, 01:42 PM
I was going to say the same thing, GoSox...bluffing too often is one of my leaks, without questions. But heads up, AK that misses is many times still the best hand. If I have AK, and act first, I will usually lead out at the pot regardless. It might get weaker players to lay down second and third pair. If they play back at me...it's an easy laydown.

You also have to evaluate the player you are up against. Some players cannot be bluffed simply because any pair, to them, is a great hand. So your Q high flush draw that missed has to be mucked, because his pair of 4s is a winner. Tight-weak players are more easily bluffed for two reasons. 1) They are more likely to fold and 2) When they play back it's easier for you to fold.

CrisBrown
03-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi Crispy,

There may be a number of things in play here, all of which are related to your "very, very tight-aggressive" style. I went through an ultra-tight phase, and was running into the same problems you seem to be encountering. Once I got into a pot, then dammit, I wanted to win it, and a BIG pot, too!

So I found I was consistently: (a) slow-playing if I'd hit a big hand; and, (b) betting big if I hadn't, trying to buy the pot. Well, it didn't take my opponents long to figure that strategy out. If Cris bets little, fold. If she bets big, call.

So you might try mixing up your play a bit more. Bet out strong when you've flopped the nuts, not every time, but a often enough that your big bets are less often bluffs. And mix in a few sneaky-small bluffs, bets that look as if you have hit a hand and want a call.

Also, mix in bluffs on later streets: check/call at the flop and make your bet at the turn or river. People are more likely to call with drawing hands or overcards at the flop, because they still have two cards coming. At the turn and river, those hands start to shrink up.

Finally, don't throw good money after bad. If you bluff and get called, don't put any more money in the pot unless your hand improves. If you bluff and get reraised, fold. By far and away, the most common bluffing mistake I see is continuing to bluff after a call.

Hope this helps,

Cris

Crispyk
03-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted here. You guys are geniouses i hope i never play against you!

Moonsugar
03-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Bet the same amount as if you hit a big hand. If you get reraised and have to fold it will just help you get more chips later.

talkinghead
04-02-2004, 03:23 AM
If you and your opponent have similar stack sizes a bluff will most likely work if it is a large enough amount for him to feel uncomfortable, this means that it will also feel uncomfortable for you, so whatever you're comfortable bluffing with, you might wanna add a bit. Gambling is the nature of the game.

t_perkin
04-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Come and play in the SnGs that we have every week.

18 seater NoLimit Holdem at Poker Stars
$10+1 buyin

Tuesday 8pmGMT/3pmEST

There is a 9.30pmEST game that gets shifted around to avoid various other events, DrPhysic is the man to Private Message about that.

It is just a bit of fun and a fantastic learning experience for "bank roll challenged" players (:)) who want to try playing against some decent opposition.

Everyone welcome.

Tim