PDA

View Full Version : Correct to check on turn?

DcifrThs
03-01-2004, 12:30 PM
party poker 10/20 game. couple of good soft spots and one (known to me) rock. others unknown but being watched.

one of those horrible players: my notes are :

"horrible player: cold called open raise from mp
with 63s and nobody else in pot. open raiser
bet out flop of 774 ghgrist called. 7x on turn ghg bluff raised and bluffed on end and was called by
open raiser w/ 99;
open limps with 86o in emp;"

so i have tt one limper (any two cards) horrible player (HP) raises i 3bet hoping to isolate, limper calls HP calls.

Ts9s7s flops...hmmm good but vulnerable. limper checks HP bets i raise limper folds HP calls.

Turn=dream card, 9c. HP checks i check??

what do you think of this turn check?
results to come later
-Barron

Ulysses
03-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Bet. If he has a single reasonable spade, he'll call. If he has a straight draw he'll call. If he has a pair, he'll call. If he has a 9 or better he'll checkraise.

What is he going to fold that is going to give you lots of action on the river?

Bet.

JTG51
03-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Checking the turn would be bad against pretty much anyone. It's terrible against the opponent you described. You know he's capable of not only making terrible calls, but also bluff raises on scary boards!

DcifrThs
03-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Ulysses, You'll love this since i think you're the one who got me to do it...i.e. post a hand played in a way you didn't play it.

i did bet the turn and the guy folded the river to my bet when the 2c fell.

the reason i posted as if i checked because after i bet i was thinking whether i should have given him a free shot to make something other than a flush that he may not have called my bet on the turn to make.

anyways, glad to see you think checking is wrong.
-Barron

Philuva
03-01-2004, 03:08 PM
I can't think of a single type of player I would check this turn, specially a loose aggressive player.

There are a ton of draws the player could call a turn bet with, but not a river bet. Plus there are potentially a lot of made hands the player could already have waiting to CR you on the turn and then you get to make it 3 bets.

Bet the turn.

I am always amazed why people will bet pocket pairs in this exact situation and complain when someone calls them on the turn and gets there on the river, yet they will not bet the nuts on the turn or flop in fear that this loose player is going to suddenly find the fold.

The Bear
03-01-2004, 03:15 PM
It's bad. In general, you shouldn't be "wasting streets" with your big hands in limit hold 'em. Here, we have an exaggerated example of that concept.

Your opponent is horrible, right? So he'll call you with ANYTHING, AND he'll bluff-raise you with ANYTHING, AND he might even have a 9 that he'll go to war with on the turn. These all sound like damn good reasons to bet. Add in the fact that a spade on the river might force him to check-fold his 75o (no spade) and you've got to fire away on the turn.

In summary, easy bet.