PDA

View Full Version : Pro hours

nykenny
03-01-2004, 12:03 PM
I'd like to hear from the online pros or winners, such as Ulysses, GoT, ZeeJustin, DavidRoss (or anyone that beats the online games): how many hours on average do you put in a week? detailed schedule will be appreciate too.

thanks

nykenny
03-01-2004, 07:20 PM
no one responded yet. is there no Pro or no winners? or is everyone really afraid to share?

anyway, let me start it then. in my poker log, i have logged 220 hours for the last 65 sessions. this is only the online records. that comes to 3.4 hours / sessoin. so it's close to 15 hours per week.

please, i'd like to know what kind of hours some others 2+2ers are putting into online poker.

Kenny

HiatusOver
03-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Kenny, I play 30-40 hours a week, party 15-30, 4 tables...barely ever on weekends, with the majority of my hours between 10-6 PST

ZeeJustin
03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Well, I'm still in high school, and far from a pro, but I try to play at least 20 hours a week, although it can be hard to do that sometimes. Every now and then I'll have a 10 hour straight weekend session that really helps me get my total poker time up. I'm starting to think I spend far too much time on these forums and not enough at the tables.

Over the summer I was playing non-stop. It's too bad I sucked back then. If you ask me this question again next summer, I wouldn't be surprised if my answer is double the number I just gave you.

High school is just so enlightening! Who would want to spend more time playing games and making money when you can be solving differential equations and reading about world religions and ethics?....... ME!

jdl22
03-01-2004, 08:47 PM
You can take Difeqs in High School? Wish I could have gone to your school. All mine offerred was business calc.

Ulysses
03-01-2004, 08:57 PM
I average about 15 hours per week. I usually play 3 or 4 weeknights for about 2 hours. That's usually one hour after work and one hour late, right before bed. That gets me to 6-8 hours. I'll usually play for about 3 hours both Saturday and Sunday - at whatever random times, but most often during the afternoon. That takes me to 12-14 hours. Somewhere in there I usually get an hour or two more in.

Over the last few weeks, the big change I've made is shortening my sessions. I used to play just about the same number of hours, but it would be more like 4 4-hour sessions, whereas now it'll be more like 10 1-hour sessions and 2 2-hour sessions. I find my play to be much better with these shorter sessions.

BTW, this 15 hours/wk is based on little or no B&M play. If I make it to a cardroom, I'll play a few hours less online.

Ulysses
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to think I spend far too much time on these forums and not enough at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spend way more time on these forums than on the tables. That's because I'm often on phone calls for business during the day that aren't particularly taxing. While I'm negotiating a contract or something I'll often surf the web or read email or post here or whatever. But I never play poker while working. I think it would be a bad habit to get into. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GuyOnTilt
03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Hey Kenny,

My goal in general is to try to get in 30 hours/wk, but I usually get in about 25. My friend is borrowing my laptop right now, so I can't give you a breakdown, but I will when I get it back later tonight. I usually play 4 or 5 days a week.

GoT

fluff
03-01-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm absolutely positively not a pro. In fact I only play 0.5/1 and 1/2 games. My observation is only that I played 120 hours in February, which is more than some pro's that have answered so far, so damn...I must be playing too much... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hehe, it's also only my second month of playing seriously, so I guess it's the newness factor as well... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Schneids
03-01-2004, 10:59 PM
I seem to be nicely settling into 100-120 table hours a month.

Duke
03-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Not counting tourneys I play about 35-40 hours a week. Counting them, I'll put it to about 60. Though I'm playing right now, Mondays are my "official" day off, and Sundays are usually half-assed too. Fridays and Saturdays are a must, as the games are best then. 5 Hours on a Friday or Saturday are worth about 7-8 hours on another day.

Tourneys are my recreation, and don't count them as part of my time. I play one or two at a time, usually along with scrabble on isc. The 11+rebuys on P* is really a great nightly tourney with a ton of dead money and pretty deep stacks.

So, I guess poker is my work and play all together, but grinding it out 4-tabling is my "job."

~D

davidross
03-02-2004, 12:37 AM
My usual schedule;

Mon to Fri 1:00 to 4:00 PM
10:00 to 3:00 AM

Sat and Sun 10:00 to 3:00 AM

Total 50 hours, but usually I play closer to 40 because I'll miss a session or two.

nykenny
03-02-2004, 01:33 AM
thanks, man. I am playing just about the same without the weekends tho.

Kenny

Dylan Wade
03-02-2004, 01:52 AM
I think the amazing thing about online play is the ammount of hands you can get in a limited time. If you play only two days a week (the premium days, friday and saturday), you can get in as many hands as a B&M player might in two weeks full-time. I have nowhere near the patience required of a traditional professional player, yet, by playing 4 tables only 10-15 hours a week, I can beat the swings.

Bozeman
03-02-2004, 02:20 AM
I play about 20-30 SnG's per week, and this accounts for ~90% of my play. Generally 1-2 big days and several ~3/day days.

Craig

webiggy
03-02-2004, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm absolutely positively not a pro. In fact I only play 0.5/1 and 1/2 games. My observation is only that I played 120 hours in February, which is more than some pro's that have answered so far, so damn...I must be playing too much... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hehe, it's also only my second month of playing seriously, so I guess it's the newness factor as well... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. While I appreciate your responding to my newbie thread, I'm wondering why you thought you were qualified to answer my question?

Diplomatdcm
03-02-2004, 03:30 AM
I am not a pro but I try to play about 40 hours a week, the biggest thing I have noticed is, like Ulysses, I play better if my session is less than 2 hours. So I play around 3-4 1.5 hour sessions, 6 days a week.

JTrout
03-02-2004, 04:57 AM
I play about 20 hrs per week. And I can't remember when I've played that wasn't working off a bonus!

And still, at this moment, I have $1,070 in pending bonuses to play off!

Used to play exclusively Party 3-6. Now mostly 2-4 and 1-2 at a dozen sites.

kiddo
03-02-2004, 05:39 AM
I normally play 3 hours every morning, 08.00-11.00. (EST+6).

6 days a week.

2 tables if shorth, 3 tables if full ring.

After 11.00 I write on my phd, and I am winning enough on poker to do this without getting paid.

I am still learnig, Im spending at least 10h/week trying to improve my poker of the table. Poker is like everything else, when you learn more you understand how little you know.

muzungu
03-02-2004, 06:53 AM
Well, I'm mostly responding b/c I'm amused at the idea of answering as a "pro"- it's only in the last couple months that I've hit the steep part of the J-curve in terms of my earnings growth and consider that word a semi-accurate descripter of my play.

My hours:

Monday-Thursday: 3 hrs/day, maybe 3 of those 4 evenings = 9 hrs.
Friday-Sunday: 4-6 hrs apiece, usually pretty late Fri/Sat nights, and Sunday evenings = 15 hrs.

Total: 24 hrs. I'd say I take extra "days off" and play double-size marathon sessions with approximately equal frequency, so, yeah, 25 hrs. a week or so.

3-tabling Party NL 100- trying to decide if adding that 4th table is a good idea or not. Sometimes when I play 3 tables that extra 1/4 of my screen is taken up by something distracting (like 2+2), so maybe its better to play 4 and fill the whole thing up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And, like others have said, I don't count tourneys into that time, and I try to put in study time during the week as well, mostly submitting/looking at/commenting on hands here.

-muz

Warren Whitmore
03-02-2004, 08:12 AM
40 Hours per week 50 weeks per year.

lostinthought
03-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Not a pro, but probably (hopefully) a winner.. I put in avg. 20 hours a week last year - was my first year. This year I am shooting for 25 hours/wk : 100 month. I work full time, so playing is recreational, but I do enjoy the added income.
I play 2-3 hours on weeknights, and shoot for 4-5 hours on the weekends.

I usually play 3 ring game tables, but occasionally mix it up with sit n' gos, multi's and 7stud or omaha. I think it's odd that I see as many hands as a B&M full time pro would.

Much appreciation to people and posts on the 2+2 forum. Looking at my results in retrospect, it wasn't until I started reading and posting on the forums and seriously reading 2+2 books that my winning became more consistant.

Cheers

nykenny
03-02-2004, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My usual schedule;

Mon to Fri 1:00 to 4:00 PM
10:00 to 3:00 AM

Sat and Sun 10:00 to 3:00 AM

Total 50 hours, but usually I play closer to 40 because I'll miss a session or two.

[/ QUOTE ]
thank you david.

out of all the people i know about, you probably have the most regular schedule. oh, good job on last week's outstanding performance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kenny

nykenny
03-02-2004, 01:05 PM
congrats on a successful year! keep up the good work

nykenny
03-02-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
40 Hours per week 50 weeks per year.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, that sounds like a pro's hour! i haven't heard much from/about you. thanks for sharing!

kenny

nykenny
03-02-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3-tabling Party NL 100- trying to decide if adding that 4th table is a good idea or not. Sometimes when I play 3 tables that extra 1/4 of my screen is taken up by something distracting (like 2+2), so maybe its better to play 4 and fill the whole thing up.

[/ QUOTE ]
i tried the 100 NL recently and think they are kinda cool. will play more of that later when i have more time...

nykenny
03-02-2004, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not a pro but I try to play about 40 hours a week, the biggest thing I have noticed is, like Ulysses, I play better if my session is less than 2 hours. So I play around 3-4 1.5 hour sessions, 6 days a week.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with that, but sometimes i am just too wound up and involved in the games to take proper breaks. i hope to improve in this aspect...

kenny

nykenny
03-02-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
really? that much? wow, u are such a bonus whore... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kenny

Kenrick
03-04-2004, 06:45 PM
I prefer playing after 4pm since the number of players is bigger, but right now a typical day is around noon to mid-afternoon and then another x amount of hours between 5pm and 2am. I generally just try to shoot for a minimum of 5000 hands a week, and whether the hands come from playing three tables at a time for a shorter time or from playing one or two tables for a longer but more relaxed time depends on mood. The previous seven days I've played about 7500 hands, with one of those days happening to play all day and played 2265 hands in 16 hours. This is for full ten-handed games.

By the way, playing multiple tables for 16 hours in a day does make it clear that there are more ways to blow your mind than with just drugs and alcohol. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

harboral
03-05-2004, 01:59 AM
I've been playing more and more online and less live due to the weaker competition. This has led to playing about 25 hours per week, and I don't play more than 1.5 - 2 hours without quitting and taking a break. I try to play 3 sessions per day, but don't stress if I miss a few - or even a day............... I wound-up with right around 105 hours each of the last three months.

theBruiser500
03-05-2004, 06:40 AM
I'm not really a pro, but I do play online a lot and profitably (a nice change from last year). I spend about 4-8 hours a day playing poker, it varies a lot because I don't really need the money for anything so I don't need to force myself to play certain number of hours.

Like a couple other people said earlier, I also spend way too much time on 2+2.

danny

UTGunner
03-05-2004, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play about 20 hrs per week. And I can't remember when I've played that wasn't working off a bonus!

Used to play exclusively Party 3-6. Now mostly 2-4 and 1-2 at a dozen sites.

[/ QUOTE ]
JTrout-

Your response interests me, because I am torn between bonus whoring and just playing the softest games I can find to maximize my profit.

Do you earn more per hour bonus whoring at a lower limit than you did at 3/6?

Can you recommend the best bonuses to earn and which to avoid? (the best in terms of hourly rate of bonus clearing plus game softness combined)

I invite all who have experience in this area to respond.

mistaken
03-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey, just wondering if you're over 18 and playing legally or you just trust ppl. here not to spew it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ReMMy
03-05-2004, 06:30 PM
I have a day job as well, although it doesn't pay nearly as well as Poker. I put in anywhere from 30-40 hours a week.

11am-2pm, 8pm-11pm, and 12:30pm-2:00am M-F are my usual hours, with some occasional weekend playing.

Good times,
ReMMy

frizzfreeling
03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
I would say about 35 hrs. a week since I quit my regular job. Mostly short handed party games. About 5 to 6,000 hands a week. I play short sessions from the afternoon till about 3 or 4 am, six days a week. No real set schedule each day. When I quit my job, I figured on playing at least 8,000 hands a week, but I figured out quickly that it's hard to keep a regular schedule when you dont have a boss breathing down your neck /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Duke
03-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Do you go to a special school like the kids in Akira?

Do the smartest kids get to take complex analysis and PDE's?

Honestly, I have never heard of a high school offering even linear algebra or multivariable calculus.

~D

Your Mom
03-06-2004, 02:44 AM
I took Calc my junior year in high school. We also had College level Amer. History, Euro History, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Physics, Statistics, Chemistry, Writing, and probably more that I can't remember. I entered college with 9 credit hours. My best friend probably had 15. I know people who were practically sophmomores their freshman year. Any decent high school offers this type of ciriculum.

Franchise (TTT)
03-06-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any decent high school offers this type of ciriculum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go do some research. You'll be surprised at how lucky you were to have these things.

bigpooch
03-06-2004, 01:17 PM
What a coincidence! I just started recording my hours every
week!

Total hours last week: 15.75
Total hours week before: 16.0

I must be a lazy ass as many of my minisessions are about
15 minutes! Fortunately, I have been just getting used to
seven tables now.

And the streak continues: winning every week for all of 2003
and 2004! There must be a powerful force yada yada yada !
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The next week starts at Saturday sunset.