PDA

View Full Version : Mike and the beanstalk (OT? Story)(Long as usual)

lorinda
03-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Mike and his family were poor, but honest, hardworking PLO8 players.
Unfortunately for Mike, they hit a bad run, and so he was told by his mother to sell their last cow, "Daisy".

Mike was excited, he figured he could get enough for a $500 buyin game, even though poor Daisy was riddled with BSE and almost worthless.

On his way to the market however, Mike came across a bedraggled man at the side of the road.
"Hi" said the aforementioned bedragglee. "I'm a former online poker player, and the greatest there has been. I need your cow to get me back into the game, as I will not accept this much of a loss. I will happily trade you these magic beans for your mangy looking beast."

Mike, being a little susceptible to con tricks right now agreed without thinking.

"The beans need somewhere warm to grow, but they will make you a rich man" said the busted guy with no home. "Use them wisely and you'll be fine." he lied.

Mike was excited and started to run home to tell his mother what he had done, this was the greatest profit making scheme since pattern maps and nightorday poker.

As he neared home, he realised that he may just, just possibly, have made a slight error.
Scared to tell his mother, and remembering the words of the wise man, he went to his local airport and stowed away on the first flight to India.
He figured that stowing away on a boat would just be too difficult because of the security.

Once in India, he found a nice open space and planted the beans.
An amazing thing happened, the beans grew into a giant sprawling beanstalk that reached right up into the clouds.
Sensing fame and fortune, Mike climbed to the top and could hardly believe what he saw.

The beanstalk led to the insides of a poker site called Partly Poker, the words 'system error' flashed on computer screens all over, and the letters glinted off huge piles of gold.
It was very odd though, there was not a human to be seen, there were many computer monitors randomly assigning words to address incoming complaints and all the time the stacks of gold were getting bigger and bigger.

Mike investigated further and eventually found a single door, with the words "The boss" on it.
He entered to find a sole American at a desk.
"Welcome to Partly Poker, where the action never stops unless we crash" said the man.
Mike was amazed..."I, er, I , er, I always thought there would be more of you."
"Ha" said the guy. "Sometimes you can't win without bluffing, and, welcome to my bluff".
Mike pointed out that the customers were unhappy.
"A sad side effect" said the man, "Tell you what, If you can cheer them up, Ill let you have a big pot of gold".
Being a fan of longshots, Mike took him up on the offer.

Mike spent the next few weeks trimming the beanstalk and shutting down one or two of the parts that were useless.
However, the task seemed never ending.
Finally it dawned on him, the beanstalk was out of control, he could cut down one limb, and two more would appear, and they would add their own strange thought processes to the crazed scheme of things.
Despite his valiant efforts, things were still as bad as before.
He went back to the man in the room, and admitted his defeat.
"Ok, I give in" said Mike, "Why are you so popular?"
"It's the train wreck principle" replied the man. "Ever see crowds of people rushing to watch a non-crashed train?"
"But why would people come here in the first place?" pushed Mike.
"Well" said the man. "See these beans? I'll give you one of those pots of gold over there for each sucker you get to plant some magic beans"
"In India?" asked Mike.
"India?" replied the man, "These beans work from anywhere, the guy who told you India must have been some sort of Chump."

Lori

BBill
03-01-2004, 05:58 PM
I believe Lori’s story is allegorical in nature and based on events that have taken place in the Zoo. I have derived a moral from this anecdote but at this time do not wish to divulge its directive. I will however, consider renumeration for posting my interpretation of this rather benificail bit of information.

spamuell
03-01-2004, 06:13 PM
LOL. It wasn't until about halfway that I realised you weren't talking about Mike Haven, but at least I wasn't completely off with the Irish theme. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrSavage
03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL. It wasn't until about halfway that I realised you weren't talking about Mike Haven, but at least I wasn't completely off with the Irish theme. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Lori was talking about Mike Haven ? Boy, was I completely off here ( I assumed Michael O'Malley)

ZeeJustin
03-01-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't until about halfway that I realised you weren't talking about Mike Haven

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I realized it was about Party when I got to the flight to India. Can I assume Mike is Mike Sexton?

Very nice post Lori... errrr... Lorinda.