PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco: A Cultural History...

02-12-2002, 12:11 AM
of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization

By Iain Gately

Just read a review in this weeks issue of Business Week

One interesting tidbit. Early in the 1600s. Murad IV, ruler of the Ottaman Empire. "He roamed the city's streets in disguise, feigning an urgent craving for a smoke, then beheading any good Samaratans who offered relief. In just 14 years, Murad personally killed or had put to death more than 25,000 suspected smokers."

The antismoking movement has been around a while.

02-12-2002, 12:21 AM
Wow,

You'd think the folks would have caught on after the first 20,000 or so. That works out to between 4 and 5 beheadings a day, every day for 14 years. Hmmm......my dad always told me not to believe everything I heard. I guess he was right.

02-12-2002, 05:25 AM
You should read "Thank You for Smoking" by Christopher Buckley. I forgave him for being the son of a right-wing talking head after reading this novel. Murad is mentioned a few times. The lead character in the book is the lead lobbyist for the Tobacco Industry. His adventures are wonderful, and the telling of them witty and downright hilarious at times. Fiction that makes me laugh is high on my list of life's little pleasures. Cigarettes used to be too, so I liked this book quite a bit.

KJS

02-12-2002, 02:34 PM
As an aside, "The Ottomans" by Lord Kinross is a great read for history lovers. I don't remember him relating tales of Murad's anti-smoking campaign, but there's plenty enough gore and torture for the whole family to enjoy.

Paul Talbot

02-12-2002, 03:17 PM
What does Business Week have to do with fishing?

02-13-2002, 01:52 PM
didn't there used to be a brand of cigarettes called Murads?