PDA

View Full Version : Great Book non-poker

pretender2k
03-01-2004, 06:29 AM
This is not a book about poker but about the type of person I think I need to be to be a good player.

I read this paragraph the other night after a loosing session and it put things into perspective:

All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is a direct result of his own thoughts. ... individual responsibility must be absolute. A man's weakness and strength ... are his own, and not another man's; they are brought about by himself, and not by another; and they can only be altered by himself.

You get the point. This is a 68 page pocket sized book with almost no fluff. It is titled "As A Man Thinketh" and for the women there is a version titled "As A Woman Thinketh."

It is only $3.50 on Amazon. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/087516000X/qid=1078136190/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/104-2876542-3483945

Hope some find this interesting.

lunchmeat
03-01-2004, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is a direct result of his own thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

So now I know why I lost when I moved in with AA before the flop and I got called by QJ. I willed the suckout with my negative mindset. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

A great book dealing with the mindset of *some* gamblers is Post Office by Charles Bukowski. It's a novel, not a self-help book, and a provocative read... although I don't think many of us would strive to live like the protagonist.

pretender2k
03-02-2004, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So now I know why I lost when I moved in with AA before the flop and I got called by QJ. I willed the suckout with my negative mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that would be one of the inevitable things that happen to good poker players. How it affects your play on the next 100 or 200 hands is what you control.