PDA

View Full Version : RGPM discussion (long self serving)

Vince Lepore
03-01-2004, 01:00 AM
This is a long post. It's merely an outlet for my frustration. If you have something better to do don't read it.

Hi, my name is Vince Lepore. There is nothing anonymous about who I am. I am who I say I am. I was a regular poster on 2 + 2 for a few years in it's early stages. I even had my own forum here but 9/11 had a sobering affect on me and I quit the forum and stopped posting on 2 + 2 for a long time. I began posting regurarly on rgp last year. I liked rgp because there wasn't much poker discussion. Still isn't. I liked rgp because of some of the people up there. I got a kick out of listening to Gary Carson or Badger and their silly rantings about Mason and 2 + 2. I loved to dig Gary on that dumb book he wrote. i liked to needle Tom Weideman but he kill filed me. There are a few others that I enjoyed bantering with up there but then something happened.

A long time ago there was a poster on 2 + 2 named Mark Glover. His sole purpose in life was to discredit Mason Malmuth. Now, I personally know Mason. I like Mason. Mason has helped me tremendously with my poker game. But Mason is a big boy. He can take care of himself. He hasn't needed my help to make it to his advanced age. He's done it all by himself. Although I do wonder sometimes just how he made it this far. Maybe David helped, who knows.

What I didn't like about this Glover character was that he attacked from the shadows. He was a coward here and is a coward on rgp. He goes by the name of QuadNines on rgp. Since he can no longer attack Mason here he has decided to do it on the unmoderated rgp. He has found a few followers up there. Gary Carson and a few others. But to be honest I do not have a problem with Carson and his Mason quips. I know Gary, though I haven't met him we have had a pleasant exchange of email in the past. His opinion is his opinion even though I disagree with it. I may disagree with him but would never challenge his right to his opinion. In fact I see nothing wrong with him posting his opinion on 2 + 2. But I don't run this site so it's not my call.

RGP has no problem with anyone posting their opinion about anything. I agree with that. That's why I liked rgp. But like I said somethiong happened. I found that rgp is full of anonymous posters. Nothing specifically wrong with that. I believe that there are a number of very good reasons to keep one's identity private on these internet forums. But along with that anonymity goes some responsiblity in my opinion. And my opinion is that if you want to stay anonymous that's fine but you give up some of your rights when you do that. And what you give up is the right to attack someone with your personal opinion. As someone anonymous you do not have a personal opinion on anything except on some pertinant subject. To attack someone's character you must have character of your own. Doing it from behind some fictious personna is cowardly. This may sound silly I know. It's ok for two people to throw mud but only if they are identifiable to each other. Well that's my opinion. It's kind of like two family members calling each other names but don't let someone else do it or there will be hell to pay. Obviously some on rgp agree.

The main discussion up there today as I write this is the proposal to begin a moderated rgp poker forum. It seems that quite a few are tired of these bums that like to spew their garbage fform their hiding place. There is no question why this rgpm discussion is going on. It is to exclude the likes of QuadNines, Rowdy, Italy, Vince's Mother, DoubtingT, Raiderfan and a few others from being able to spew their bullshit and vulgar thoughts while others have a serious discussion.

I have crusaded against these bums up there for over six months. I finally quit when I got a regular rgper to agree with me. I find it interesting that immediately after I signed off of posting on rgp for good this rgpm propsal got off of the ground.

Gary Carson is dead set against it. Of course he is. He never contibutes poker information he gets his kicks from attacking Mason. Can't do it in a moderated group. Oh well I just had to get this out. I don't post on rgp anymor or liveactionpoker. com so I picked my old standby 2 + 2. The latter site liveactionpoker.com is the site where a lot these vulgar rgp posters gain access to rgp. They are as bad as the anonymous scumbags themselves for allowing this to happen.

Well I do not need a moderated rgp forum and neither do serious poker players. 2 + 2 has always been and still is the best place to discuss poker. I am going to spend my time here from now on and those on rgp that truly are interested in discussing poker might want to consider doing the same. That's all.

Vince

CrackerZack
03-01-2004, 01:06 AM
If you're really back and will be posting, its good news for us here. Welcome back. I was reading RGP the other day when 2+2 was down and don't understand how anyone wades through all the junk. Too bad the moderated didn't get off the ground.

Zack

Zeno
03-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Welcome back. Looking foward to your insight into poker issues.

-Zeno

Mason Malmuth
03-01-2004, 02:19 AM
Hi Vince:

A few years back Cardoza Publishing accussed us of plagerism. This became a matter for our attorney and Avery Cardoza fairly quickly sent us a letter of apology stating that he had confused us with a different publisher.

The reason I bring this up is at that time I had a long discussion with our attorney, Mark Tratos. He told me that when you become successful, expect to have people take shots at you. Well, that's exactly what I think has happened.

Thanks to the poker boom, we have become far more successful than we ever thought possible. In fact, I've been working at least 12 hours a day just trying to keep up with everything, but that's another story. My point is that the constant shots by the people you mention are actually a measure of our success. So in a way, I'm glad it's happening.

Good to have you back.

Best wishes,
Mason

Abe
03-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Some old questions from 1998;

-- Is bacarrat beatable?
-- What WAS "Vince's bad concept"?
-- Is the VW bus still running?
-- Are you still wearing that black "VINCE" hat?

Seriously -- welcome back.

Easy E
03-01-2004, 01:05 PM
How do we know this is really Vince? Someone might have claimed his "alias" here....

We might need a DNA sample and 5 non-anonymous references

Al_Capone_Junior
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I used to love the "Everything Vince Lepore" forum. How can we get access to those archives?

By the way, all the BS you describe here is why I have just stayed on 2+2. It aint perfect, but it's still the best anyway.

al

jhodges
03-01-2004, 04:47 PM
Glad to have you back. How you lasted as long as you did with all the anom. Vinces mother crap I'll never know.
BTW I was the guy who went out of sunday's shooting star tourney on a pair of 5's with a QJ5 two spade board to the guy in seat 3 who had a pair of jacks. Maybe you don't remember but you said I thought you had a hand like K10 of spade after he raised all in and I called. Was this just reading a tight player to have specifically a pair of jacks(2 queens would reraise pre-flop). Should I have let it go?
I'm a newbie poster and can't figure out the PM or I would just try that.
Thanks,
JH

Mike Gallo
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Vince,

I for one missed you. Your one of the first posters that I remember. Glad to see you have returned.

Do you still have the van /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mike l.
03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
ah who needs ya! go back to those freaks over at rgp baldy!

Myrtle
03-02-2004, 12:29 AM
lol....How's it feel to be loved/hated??

Are you going to return my email...waiting to hear.

Myrt.....

Vince Lepore
03-02-2004, 07:22 AM
Honestly I do not remeber the hand you are talking about. I will say that it is very hard to lay down a set on the flop against an unmade board regardless of how good your read is on your opponenet.

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-02-2004, 07:29 AM
I thought I did. Will make reservations for 24-28 Mar. Anyone named Myrtle is more than welcome to sleep with me. I accept the breakfast in bed offer.

Vince /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vince Lepore
03-02-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm not bald! I'm in uncovernito.

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-02-2004, 07:43 AM
The van is in storage. Thanks for welcoming me back.

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Abe,

I have reformed. Well kind of. If Sklansky says baccarat is beatable then ok, ye.

The van don't run.

Hat gone somewhere.

Bad concept? God I am old I forget.

Thanks for the welcome.

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks - I'll probably be on the Single Table and tournament forums for a while. Look for me there and maybe you can help me out with some answers.

Vince

scalf
03-02-2004, 09:25 AM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif with all the success of 2 + 2; something was missing....

yup..

this forum needs vince..

i know it's not ez being a legend in your own time...a poker celebrity..AND a poker expert....; but

vince, you can handle it...

you got the technology..

let it go...win just one tourny (wpt)..

and you're a superstar...

go for it...
9and tell us about it)...

gr8 to c u r back..

gl /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Myrtle
03-02-2004, 09:43 AM
I have a somewhat different rememberance of your semi-licit invite from last e mail?

The luxury suit in Mystic sounds fine to me....Book it, Dan-o.....

As far as breakfast in bed? The closest shot you'll get to that is if I trip staggering around the room in the morning and spill my fruit loops on your unprotected cranium....

Uh....let's not forget the pocket sixes and the full glass of coke at the Bellagio....rofl!!

Are you back in the states yet?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
03-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Welcome back.

You're a smart guy Vince, and quite likable. I just don't understand why you put so much effort into these flame wars, often with posters who are clearly ignorant or tilted on the subject. That is, since they're not being reasonable, there is nothing to gain by debating them. And then you start to look unreasonable yourself, by trading insults with them. It just seems like a no-win scenario. I guess you must enjoy doing it, as I see no other rationale basis.

Just a curious buddy.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Ray Zee
03-02-2004, 07:25 PM
oh, you are back. i didnt know you left. thats great. are you the guy that wrote about fishing or was that someone else. i will go back and find some of your posts and try to figure out who you were(are). please keep your posts short as we pay for bandwith.

Timer
03-02-2004, 08:48 PM
As far as I'm concerned you got what you deserved on RGP. You gave as much as you got. In my opinion you wanted all of the trouble you caused. I kill-filed you there because you were an obnoxious, flaming profane bore. Others felt the same way, hence Vince's Mothers Spirit or whoever that was.

In fact, now that I think about it. That is the reason you went there in the first place. You wanted to start flame wars, post off-topic nonsense, and flood the newsgroup with your self-serving hypocrisy. Your waste of bandwidth on RGP is another good reason for RGPM.

I believe RGPM will come into existence. Its time has come. It will be a Usenet alternative to 2+2 and United Poker Forum. There is a market for it. Whether or not it will succeed remains to be seen.

Stay tuned.

Boris
03-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Hi Vince - I think you're funny. I really like the insults you come up with in your flame wars. Don't let them keep you down.

adios
03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi Vince, good to read your posts over here. Don't read RGP too much but I know you really gave em hell over there. How's your game?

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Adios,

Glad you asked about my game. I left Vegas on Jan 11. I've been in Thailand, along with a week stay in Laos, ever since. Since i had some time on my hands here I reread HPFAP and The theory of {Poker (almost done). Through this rereading i have finally figured out that i just don't play that well. I am in the process of rethinking my game. the S&M boys have come through once again.

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 02:04 AM
Sorry Boris but I ave decided to tone down my insults since I have returned to the no insult land of 2 + 2. I believe that I have always tried to sling insults in a meaningful or comical way unless I am up against an anonymous scumbag like this GCb guy on rgp or if the other poster is mean spirited in his insults. Gary Carson is towards Mason is an example of the latter. Thanks for your reply.

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Everything you said about me is true. I did like flame wars. However, the reason for rgpm is not me but because of guys like you and GCb and Vince's mother. Guys that attack without courage. Would you mind identifying yourself or is that too much to ask? I feel I have the right to face my accuser unless of course you do not have the heart to do so. BTW- I have always told those that do not like my posts to ...kill file as you cliam you did. Why now do you feel it necessary to reply. Why am I any of your buisness when you don't read my posts? Have a nice day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 02:14 AM
If there is one erson that I have really wanted to meet in the poker world it's Ray Zee. Will you ever be coming to Vegas again. I've built an outhous in the back too make you feel at home.

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Greg,

If you look at my posts on rgp you will find that I stopped months ago answering any poster that replied anonymously. I just decided to ignore them. All I did was keep the thought of these cowards alive as much as possible by replying to those rgp folk that got involved in the threads. I know that I looked unreasonable and down right childish but that just didn't matter. I hate dishonorable people. I hate when they do cowardly things even if it does appear to be harmless antics. Just the way I am. But I'm learning.

Vince

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 02:23 AM
Tried to send you a private message but you don't accept them. Hmmm.
You are on an open forum you know.

Vince

Myrtle
03-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Greg,

Perhaps the easiest way to understand Vince’s behavior is to understand the meaning of “cultural upbringing”, Italian style.

Let me try…….

Vince & I grew up in the same Italian ghetto (although separated by Chelsea “creek”) from one another.

Here’s a small “slice” of life about how it was to have grown up in that space and time (50’s/60’s).

- All the older folks spoke fluent Italian. We grew up understanding it (kind of) but not really speaking it.

- Most of us were of Sicilian descent (chi-chilly-ano) for those who speak the tongue.

- Vendors still plied the streets in horse-drawn carts selling crabs, lobsters, fresh fish, slush….whatever.

- The “rag man” made his rounds once a week., singing his presence as he pulled his hand-drawn cart through the street.

- Fresh milk was hand delivered in glass bottles to the stoop of each flat every day.

- As young boys, we had at least one fist fight a day, whether we needed it or not.

- We were brought up thinking that there were only 2 ways to do something: the RIGHT way and the wrong way.

- Right & wrong, Fair & unfair were staple behavior fundamentals to us, and subject to individual interpretation, leading to some very interesting behavior!

- Our families were nuclear and physically close: in the house next door (almost all were “3-deckers” spaced about 3 feet from one another) lived one set of grandparents….most of our uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. lived within a 4-5 block radius.

- Sunday dinners were generally gathered at our grandparents flat. After we all ate, we’d gather around the dining room table, drinking wine, eating nuts eagerly anticipating the argument of the day to erupt. The subject didn’t matter. It was usually something as world-shattering as to whether the sky was blue or green today. Teeth were gritted; neck veins popped. People jumped up out of their chairs, stalking around the room with their arms flailing yelling out some of the most creative curses one could imagine. All this spoken in the native tongue where WHAT was said was almost secondary as to HOW it was said! There was a definite “pecking order” and when it was violated, there was hell to be paid. Everyone intrinsically “knew” his or her place; God help you if you stepped out of line.

- Blood was thicker than water: There were always extended family feuds in play….with various opposing family members hanging out of different windows in adjacent flats supporting the latest ongoing brouhaha in the street below (usually 2 boys from different family duking it out in support of family “honor”). All very loudly, with extreme emotion in the native tongue.

- All of this played out by a cast of characters as diverse, colorful and unique as one can possibly imagine. The stories that can be told about some of them can generate some bladder challenging laughs or tear generating sadness.

- We may not have yet read Machiavelli…It didn’t matter….we LIVED it every day on the streets.

If you can relate to some of the above, then you can understand where Vince is coming from when he says…

“I know that I looked unreasonable and down right childish but that just didn't matter. I hate dishonorable people. I hate when they do cowardly things even if it does appear to be harmless antics. Just the way I am.”.

To be discussed further (over a good meal) the next time the 3 of us are together…(shortly, I hope)!

Vince Lepore
03-03-2004, 09:37 AM
I'd like to add something to what Myrtle said here if I could, but I can't. He knows me better than I know myself. He described my childhood perfectly, almost as if he lived it himself. O.K. - but I'll bet Myrtle didn't know that my "rag man's" name was Chauncy Lepore (no relation). Now did you? Thank you John, you explained my motives a lot better than I have. I always liked you. Now I know why.