PDA

View Full Version : The Agony of it all - Celebrity poker

Al_Capone_Junior
02-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Ugh. Aargh. I know this one is probably a rerun, but this is the first time i have watched it, so I must comment.

Celebrity poker.

Where stupidity in poker strategy gets money for charity.

Where the celebs can say F*CK out loud and openly coach each other during a hand.

Where 98o re-reraises AK and then just gets called, and goes on to win the hand.

Where runner-runner flushes are not actually seen by the loser at the end of the hand.

Where "jesus" taught David to play cards. No wait, it was "the rabbi at my barmitzva" (sp? i aint jewish).

Where Carrie apologizes every time she folds.

Where mimi's KK gets called by Q9o. Mimi is cute tho, with her KK, then bragging about being the big winner last week at her regular game, taking home $200. She goes all-in, but then Scott asks if he can "raise it," then doesn't realize that his two pair, queens up, is no good when the flop is Q 8 8.

Scott barely redeems himself when he raises $5000 with his AK. David goes over-the-top all-in of course with T7o for 5200 total. Carrie calls the 5000+ with A6o, flopping top pair, sixes! The T7o will take the main pot (err, uh, the "middle pot"), by the way, $15,000 in there. David must again be explained to how he did not win the pot when his three outer King fails to hit. Carrie takes the 6200 side pot.

Where playing three times makes Tom a self-proclaimed "expert." Or maybe he's bluffing, and it was six months.

Mimi explains "I'm out" after her cards are already mucked.

The dealer is still explaining to Scott what his options are, check or bet, and what each of those means.

"what's the saying? poker in the front, liquor in the back?" Scott's parting words when his AT loses to runner-runner str8 by David's pocket sevens (which were ahead the whole way anyway).

"I had a king, that's good, right?"

Scott goes all-in OUT OF TURN, but then backs off due to mimi-s 86o threatening to call him. He backs off from going all-in, but wins up doing so on the flop anyway, which was A 7 9. Scott's QJ0 loses to Mimi-s str8. What were the odds on losing on the last card? "not very good."

Where the railbird celebs drink coctails and comment on the action.

Mimi now flips the double bird at Carrie. Carrie is faced with mimi's raise. She says "it's the two..." but mimi fills in with "it's the four tits." Carrie wants to call, but she acts first. Oops, now Carrie's flipping the bird at David's yawn. Mimi's pure evil at the table tho, dominating with her fancy blouse and pocket nines.

Carrie's parting words "I'm gonna wind up back on drugs."

I'm rootin' for mimi, she's a hottie.

Mimi K2o gets bluffed by David's QJ gutshot w/overcards.

David exclaims "shuffle the f*ck up!"

But Mimi's 42o does not hold up on the final hand, losing to David's Q3o.

Comic relief for poker players. But agonizing to watch.

al

Easy E
03-01-2004, 07:44 AM
It was a rerun- other shows weren't much better, but Scott is the worst poker player on the planet, I think

"Comic relief for poker players. But agonizing to watch. "
The second part was way too true for the first part to have a chance to be true.

The WPT Hollywood Home Game shows, while somewhat better poker, may not be your cup o' tea either. At least the new WPT season starts this week! Vince almost looks good by now.

scotnt73
03-01-2004, 10:06 AM
i watched it last night for the first time. wow. that show sucks. i know they are trying to be funny but man. How about a little sportsmanship and dignity? i cant imagine doing a charity event and dropping the F bomb left and right. some of them even got mad when they lost! is this really GOOD for poker? when was the last time you saw a celebrity golf even where the participants took it so seriously and cursed like that when they. if my wife knew nothing about poker and she saw this she would assume all poker rooms were like this and be turned off by it.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-01-2004, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if my wife knew nothing about poker and she saw this she would assume all poker rooms were like this and be turned off by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a bit concerned by this too. People seeing this show for the first time might be very turned off about poker if they otherwise knew nothing about it.

al

Easy E
03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
"dropping the F bomb left and right. some of them even got mad when they lost! ....participants took it so seriously and cursed like that when they. if ...she would assume all poker rooms were like this and be turned off by it. "

That was probably the CLOSEST that the show came to "real" poker!

Porcupine
03-01-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where mimi's KK gets called by Q9o. Mimi is cute tho, with her KK, then bragging about being the big winner last week at her regular game, taking home $200. She goes all-in, but then Scott asks if he can "raise it," then doesn't realize that his two pair, queens up, is no good when the flop is Q 8 8

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that Scott seemed to always think his hand was good, made it very aggravating to watch. It's been a while since I last saw that episode, so I forget the specifics, but between Scott's antics and players cold-calling decent size raises with something like J6o on a AK7 board, I am really ready for WPT season II.

scotnt73
03-01-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"dropping the F bomb left and right. some of them even got mad when they lost! ....participants took it so seriously and cursed like that when they. if ...she would assume all poker rooms were like this and be turned off by it. "

That was probably the CLOSEST that the show came to "real" poker!

[/ QUOTE ]

reading it now you are exactly right /images/graemlins/grin.gif. but my point was this is for charity and they are acting like this.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-01-2004, 03:38 PM
The fact it was for charity was even stranger considering how they acted. But as a charity I would take the $$ regardless of the strangeness of the way it was raised.

I was glad when Nicole Sullivan won it, with her animal charity! She's hilarious on mad tv.

al

scotnt73
03-01-2004, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact it was for charity was even stranger considering how they acted. But as a charity I would take the $$ regardless of the strangeness of the way it was raised.

I was glad when Nicole Sullivan won it, with her animal charity! She's hilarious on mad tv.

al

[/ QUOTE ]
me too. the guy in the robe really got on my nerves. they sure use the word celebrity lightly. who was the guy that wore all the hats at the end of the table that played right before her?

Al_Capone_Junior
03-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Really I only knew who about half of them were, and had no idea who the guy with the robe, David, was. I think they chose people on shows I never watch, being a history channel/NGC/Cartoons/comedy central watcher mostly. But I did know Mimi, Carrie, and Nicole.

al

scotnt73
03-01-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really I only knew who about half of them were, and had no idea who the guy with the robe, David, was. I think they chose people on shows I never watch, being a history channel/NGC/Cartoons/comedy central watcher mostly. But I did know Mimi, Carrie, and Nicole.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

you watch the exact same tv channels as me. except you forgot travel channel and the discovery channel. i really love the dinosaur shows. not the fossil digs but the ones that show the sabre tooths hunting and such. i wait weeks for those.

Nottom
03-01-2004, 05:25 PM
David Cross is a comedian (obviously). He was the start of Mr.Show on HBO a few years back when that ran and has had some comedy specials on HBO as well. He also guest stars on various sitcoms (Drew Carrey show comes to mind) but isn't really the star of anything. I think hes quite funny personaly, but I can certainly see how others wouldn't like his sence of humor.

The guy with all the hats was from The West Wing but thats all I know.

DonWaade
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
That post was absolutley hilarious. I have not had the privilege (or agony) to watch. Your play by play was certainly enough tho. The upside is it will hopefully attract new and. . . ummmmm . . . exciting players to our regular games and I will soon be able to look forward to the "dilema" of calling someones 38o all-in push with my Cowboys

Al_Capone_Junior
03-02-2004, 06:35 PM
NGC has extinct! coming on again, it's long, it's detailed, and it kicks ass. I might even tape it this time for those times when I am traveling in my RV and don't have cable.

I gotta have my cartoons tho, dexter, powerpuff girls, johnny bravo, bugs bunny, simpsons, etc.

al

scotnt73
03-02-2004, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NGC has extinct! coming on again, it's long, it's detailed, and it kicks ass. I might even tape it this time for those times when I am traveling in my RV and don't have cable.

I gotta have my cartoons tho, dexter, powerpuff girls, johnny bravo, bugs bunny, simpsons, etc.

al

[/ QUOTE ]
which one is extinct exactly? its not one of the fossil digger shows is it? i prefer the animated ones that show how the dinos may have acted. my cartoons of choice are spongebob,simpsons, south park, futuroma. family guy is the best when you can find it.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-02-2004, 06:57 PM
I should edit my post, seeing that i forgot to include spongebob!

Extinct is more animated than fossil digging. It's also historical as it discusses the great okk, tasmanian tiger, and do-do bird, which are all very recently extinct. It also talks about the sabretooth and irish elk, amoungst others.

al

scotnt73
03-02-2004, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should edit my post, seeing that i forgot to include spongebob!

Extinct is more animated than fossil digging. It's also historical as it discusses the great okk, tasmanian tiger, and do-do bird, which are all very recently extinct. It also talks about the sabretooth and irish elk, amoungst others.

[/ QUOTE ]gotcha ive seen all those exceppt the okk and the tiger. ill being looking forward too them.

LindaLooLa
03-02-2004, 07:13 PM

lefty rosen
03-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey they sound like refugees from the party 25NL and 50NL games.........

Rushmore
03-02-2004, 07:50 PM
...Phil Gordon, I imagine.

They can't possibly be paying him enough to live this way.

We oughta start a freakin telethon for the guy, if he needs that money this badly.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-02-2004, 08:09 PM
of your ten posts it seems eight of them are little more than spam for celebpoker.com. enough already.

TheGrifter
03-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Phil Gordon will do just about anything to get people to consider him a "real" poker professional.

He don't need yo money.

Wyrm2
03-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Actually I think Phil was involved with it to check out the ladies... Did you see how badly he was drooling over Nicole Sullivan? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
yea, especially when Nicole rubber her nipple for luck.

al

krazyace5
03-04-2004, 03:41 AM
Another part that made this so ridiculous is how crappy these people played but in their pre and post interviews they acted like they were very good and had been playing for yrs.

Another thing that bothered me is how they always got up from the table when they went all in, like they thought they had to. And most of the celebs were so annoying they made it hard to watch, nevermind the bad play.

Phil Gordon musta really had to struggle to find anything positive to say about these players. I don't know how he put up with the idiot co-host either, seems like every time Phil gave a tip the other guy would say something obnoxious like he already knew about it.

If they do it again I hope they get better celebritys on there, I mean it seems like they could suck and still make it entertaining with the right people.

PS I think Ben Affleck wanted to literally knock that dork out in the first one.

Oh yeah Hollywood poker tour is much better by the one episode I saw, it had Mimi Rogers in it also.

Rushmore
03-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm considering becoming a celebrity just so I can play in this game.