PDA

View Full Version : How do I handle this situation?

absentx
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Okay, I need help here, probably could post this in theory but, the small stakes forum always has the best answers.

Alright, I will make this quick. I normally play 1-2 or 2-4 online, and I am always just a tad above break even, over 500 hours of play. Now, when I play live, I always play 4-8 or 5-10 and I do just fine playing that.

The other day I sat five ten on Ultimate Bet, and over the past 30 hours of play I have brought in over $900 playing the five ten games.

I dont have a specific poker bankroll, I have a job, so that is my bankroll. But obviously there is a lot of money in my UB account right now. Do I keep playing 5-10, or did I get lucky and I need to stick to the lower limits? I cant believe it is all luck, because sometimes those players at five ten are just as crappy as the one two players.

I know they say you should have a 300bb bankroll for the game of your choice. Now does this assume that even if infact you are the greatest player in the world, it is still possible that you may face a lossing streak of near 300bb's?

Alobar
02-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Are you playing poker to win money or have fun? If your playing to have fun, play at whatever limit gives you the most enjoyment that you can afford to play at. If your playing to win money, you need to drop down to lower limits as I think your 5-10 run has just been a case of running good.

Live play is alot softer at the same limits, so like a 1/2 online game plays like a 5/10 live game.

If you can't beat the 1/2 or 2/4 game you need to not play 5/10 until you can. Sure 5/10 has crappy players just like 1/2, but it has ALOT more good ones. Think of your good run as a present, use that as your poker bankroll and move back down to 1/2 until you can consistently beat it, then move up. then beat that level consistently, then move up.

LetsRock
03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't think you need to have the 300BB BR to play a session at a higher limit. I'll usually allocate 100-300SB for a single session if I'm going to stick my toe in the deeper end. That's usually enough to cover a few tough hands in a session. If I'm not on the upswing within that amount, then I'm in the wrong game or it's not my day.

The 300BB thought is targeted as a long term BR, meaning you need that much to cover deviation over several sessions.

There's nothing wrong with taking a shot at a higher limit if you feel you're ready for it. Just remember that if you have a tough session, it'll take much longer to build your BR up to where it was when you return to you comfort zone, than it did to lose it at the higher limits.

A 300BB losing streak is severe but very possible even for the best. Losing that much in a single session seems hard to imiagine.