PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you?

deacsoft
02-29-2004, 05:37 PM
hey guys and gals. i have palyed in a ton of tourments and for the most part do very well. i have made numerous final tables and finished in the money even more. however, 2nd is as high as i get. i am yet to make it all the way. i think my heads up play is solid enough and usually have a fair amount of chips. in fact, i have no idea why i can't get over that hump.

so my question is... how long (or how many tourneys) did you play in before taking 1st (just curious). to anyone that went through or still is stuck just shy of 1st like me... why do you feel you haven't got there (areas of your game you're working on)? for those of you who have gotten over the hump what did it take for you to finally get there?

for the record i am not crying about never winning. I am very pleased most times to make the final table and sometimes finish as high as 2nd. i just really want to get that first win. thanks for your suggestions and comments.

SevenStuda
03-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Get real.

doggin
03-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Are you talking about the major league multis?
Or 10 to 100 dollar MT tourneys?

Webster
03-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Funny story - I logged on to a $30 buy in and 4 cards flopped. I was completely confused. Then I realized I was in a Ohoma Hi-Lo tournament.

I did not have a CLUE on this game so as I was folding I was reading how to play the game.

Well - I won!!! LOL

Shows you that luck is a huge factor in tournaments.

Dentist
03-01-2004, 02:25 PM
I have the same problem.... I've been playing on-line tourneys since October... Probably 1-2 per week.

It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but now in the last few months I've made 4 final tables.. but never finished above 6th... Usually it's a struggle for me just to make the table and I rarely have very many chips to work with.. I've never gone in as a top 5 guy and made it happen.

Which of course is very unfortunate since the prizes are SO top heavy... When there are 1500 players in a tourney and 1st gets 10X as much as 8th it's very frustrating...

I think you've just gotta get some luck at some point... because unless you're an EXCEPTIONAL hand-reader if you don't have the cards you'll get blinded to death.

harboral
03-01-2004, 02:41 PM
I played in a half-dozen tournys before I made a final table, and it took me three times there before I took first. However, I took first in 3 of the next dozen tournys I entered (60-75 players). If you have been heads-up more than once, you should have been able to take a first place finish............unless your heads-up play is not as good as you think.

When you get to the top three positions, you need to be very aggressive - playing most hands, and playing most for a raise. At this point you really need to know on the flop if you have the best hand, or can push the other player out. If this is not the way you are playing, get some heads-up experience. Most online sites offer tournys that are 4-players - each going heads up. This is a good way to learn. AL

deacsoft
03-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Mostly on line tournays... different buy ins... usually 350 to 2000 players.

deacsoft
03-01-2004, 04:48 PM
great comment. thanks for the tip. this should be all the help i need to win every tournament i'm in (accept for the ones you're in of course because you're the best palyer ever.

seriously, keep the bull to yourself. don't want it and don't need it.

deacsoft
03-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Well everyone, yesterday was the big day. I played in a Midwest Poker Tour no-limit hold'em tourney (live) and went all the way. Pocket jacks won it for me at the end, and I took a nice cash prize, a trophy, and an entry into their tournament of champions. The tourney of champions will be offering a trip to the WSOP. I just want to thank you all for your comments and encourage everyone to keep playing tourneys. Winning your first tourney is a great feeling. Good luck at the tables.