PDA

View Full Version : Question about hours played at a table

AnthonyMSU
02-29-2004, 11:42 AM
I am a new student of poker and I have just started playing at a card room. I keep track of my hours and winnings to see how well of an overall player I am.
My question is simple:
About how many overall hours at a card table should be logged in before short term luck/trends can be ruled out when analyzing my results?

Mike Gallo
02-29-2004, 07:13 PM
I would say at least 300 hours.

HDPM
03-01-2004, 01:23 PM
300 is a good number. Some say 1000. But as a beginner you need to be aware of a few things. A 200 BB loss in 3-6 probably means more than a 200 BB loss in 30-60. SO if you find youself losing over the short term, take a hard look at yourself first. Yeah, an 30 bet loss loss in one session doesn't mean anything. But if you find yourself losing consistently in soft games, look to yourself much sooner than 300 hours down the road. A lot is simply how good you are. I can't imagine going through a 300 BB losing streak in the Mirage 3-6 game. Sure it is possible. I know 300 BB losing streaks happen all the time, often to better players than me. But often it is in tougher middle limit games where a decent player's edge is lower. I can easily see myself losing that number of bets in an 80-160 game. The difference is in me. So have some perspective about the short term luck in poker. It is significant. And you must understand it to keep sane. But as a beginner look to your play first and always.