PDA

View Full Version : Please DONT do this!!!

stupidsucker
02-29-2004, 05:36 AM
This has probably been posted before, but its urking me incredibly, because people do it ALL the time!.

If its bubble time and the low man is all in DO NOT BLUFF the third man out.

twice I had AJs and low man was all in. the other guy bets on the flop of rags and I fold thinking he has a good enough hand to compete with the all in, so why risk my chips. IDIOTS...

Then he shows Qhigh and the lowman takes it with Khigh at showdown.. The Qhigh guy didnt even have a flush or staight draw. it was an all out bluff.

This is stupid poker, you should not bet here without a monster hand. If you cant beat the all in then why try to get the 3rd guy out? If 3rd man calls then you are screwed, if he folds you win NOTHING!

just my advice, perhaps I am wrong to say it, but I went out on the bubble on one of these because if this, and its just bad poker for everyone.

Thanks for your time....

Pat Southern
02-29-2004, 05:41 AM
I always see this in the 10+1 SNGs. The worst is when the guy goes all in on a [non existant] side pot steal. Another thing you hate to see is the two big stacks check it down, even when they have good hands, it'd be nice if they knocked each other around, and knocked that guy out. You just have to hope that some idiot does you that favor when you're the small stack and all-in.

TylerD
02-29-2004, 06:17 AM
Sklansky addresses this in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players. If the large stack has you both well covered he wants to give himself the best shot at taking that pot, and if that means bluffing you out, then thats what he'll do. If he has a chip lead he's not going to care whether you or the all-in guy go out next, he wants to extend his lead and thats what he's trying to do.

[Although I agree doing it with Q high is probably not the right play.]

jomatty
02-29-2004, 07:19 PM
while its true in a big multi that having a shortstacked player stick around because you can run oer the table while others wait for him to go bust i dont think that could ever be correct in a sitngo. theres just not enough play in the structure and the payout structure is just to flat. theres no massive reward for winning. the dry side of the pot bluff drives me crazy in these situations too.
matty