PDA

View Full Version : Lee Jones You Say?

Haupt_234
02-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Might be a rhetorical question, but is this book (Low Limit Hold Em) worth reading for the lower limits? Primarily $1/2 through $3/6.

Appreciate some thoughts..

Haupt_234

blackaces13
02-27-2004, 08:54 PM
This was the first book I've read and I'm currently re-reading it for about the 7th time. I think this book is an absolute NECESSITY to any beginner and even good players can only benefit from it even if they already knew most of it anyway. You will get WAY more out of this book than HEPFAP if you play low limits. This book is generally not mentioned in great praise on this site and I don't understand it. I think it comes from extremely advanced players knit-picking at details such as him suggesting to raise with ATo in late position (which is probably a good play in an unraised pot in LL anyway). All in all I think this book is absolutely fantastic for a fairly new/inexperienced LL player. I highly recommend it, obviously.

Tosh
02-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Is it worth reading ? Most definitely.

It does however have areas that are disputed. You should certainly read it but then read (reread) HEFAP.

benfranklin
02-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Make sure that you have the 2nd edition. In the 2nd ed., he states that he had some things wrong in the first edition, and points them out and corrects them.

asdf1234
02-28-2004, 06:41 PM
One of the major issues in WLLH is the post-flop play advice. Jones suggests checking and folding anything but top pair or a good draw, with a couple of exceptions. In large pots, this is a huge mistake. I'm sure if you search the archives, you can find Mason's analysis of this and other problems in the book.

bwana devil
02-29-2004, 12:47 PM
i have read several other books regarding Holdem and thought they were really bad. Winning Low-Limit Holdem was highly recommended on this site and now i can see why. i just got the book this week and it really makes sense to me. it's easy to read and i can incorporate the play into my existing play.