PDA

View Full Version : Three draws on a loose table...

ElSapo
02-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Hand 1 was my first hand at the table, the next two happened shortly thereafter...

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is MP3

EP2 limps, MP1 limps, Hero(poster) checks, CO limps, Button folds, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(6 SB): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, CO calls, SB raises, BB folds, EP2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn(6 BB): 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, Hero folds, CO folds

Hero has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is EP2

UTG limps, EP1 limps, Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3(poster) calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Flop(17 SB): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, UTG calls, EP1 calls, Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls, EP1 folds

Turn(14 BB): 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks

River(14 BB): 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, UTG folds, Hero folds, MP1 calls, CO folds

Hero has J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif and is MP3

UTG limps, EP2 limps, MP2 limps, Hero limps, Button folds, SB raises, BB folds, UTG calls, EP2 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls

Flop(11 SB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, UTG calls, EP2 calls, MP2 raises, Hero 3-bets, SB folds, UTG calls, EP2 calls, MP2 calls

Turn(12 BB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG bets, EP2 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls

River(16 BB): K/images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG bets, EP2 folds, MP2 calls, Hero folds

GuyOnTilt
02-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Hey ElSapo,

Hands 1 and 2 look routine, so I don't really have much to say.

On Hand 3, you can strongly consider raising preflop. You didn't say how the limpers play postflop or what their preflop limping standards are, which is really vitally important to how to play this hand preflop. Raising is a very good option here though. Holding the Button is very valuable, as is being the aggressor. Raising suited paint in LMP and the CO after bad limpers has become a profitable play for me.

On the flop, you need to dump. You really need to fold here; there's no other play. There's a good chance you're behind right now, and when you're not, it's almost certain that you're behind in the sense that someone else (specifically, not the group in general) is favored to win over you by showdown. If you are ahead here, there are a million turn/river combos that kill your hand, while you yourself have very little chance of any improvement. You may even be drawing dead. Also, when you are behind right now, you are going to end up paying off 2 blanks. This flop is not for you, ElSapo. When it's bet and raise, and there was a PF raiser from the blinds, you must resist the urge to play your 2-pair. Fold on the flop.

GoT

ElSapo
02-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. Hand 1, I wasn't entirely sure of the bet but with an overcard, gutshot and backdoor flush, and the possibility of a free turn card, it seemed like the right play.

Hand three, yeah, I think I got caught up in the feel of the table, it was very loose (and bad). I don't usually raise suited paint down to JQ or JT but perhaps I should start so.

Sadly, the table tightened an orbit later and so I have to grind those bets, instead of hitting the massive pots we had building. Amazing quickly table dynamics change.

GuyOnTilt
02-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Hand 1, I wasn't entirely sure of the bet but with an overcard, gutshot and backdoor flush, and the possibility of a free turn card, it seemed like the right play.

I would've played that hand exactly as you did.

Hand three, yeah, I think I got caught up in the feel of the table, it was very loose (and bad). I don't usually raise suited paint down to JQ or JT but perhaps I should start so.

I'd encourage you to start experimenting with this play. When the limpers are bad you definitely gain something, and buying the Button is sometimes worth the extra SB all by itself. I will also occasionally make this play with a hand like A8s in the CO when circumstances are just right. The biggest part is learning how to recognize profitable situations and chances to gain EV. Doing this requires being observant of your opponents and their play and tendencies. Most here in the SS don't seem to be willing to do that, despite my best efforts, so plays like this aren't +EV for everybody. But I think it could be a great asset to your game, ElSapo.

GoT

ElSapo
02-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Would you make the same raises from the BB? How about after several limpers, how low of a suited ace would you raise? Small pairs? TJs?

GuyOnTilt
02-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Would you make the same raises from the BB?

Not will all suited paint, and not with a hand like A8s. I have started raising a lot of suited paint from the BB though. But I'm a big fan of position, and that's the main reason I raise hands like QJs after 3 limpers from the CO.

How about after several limpers, how low of a suited ace would you raise?

Not very low at all. One of the big factors in me making these raises is buying the button if I'm going to play. So from the Button I rarely raise with hands like A9s after 4 limpers, but I'll raise it a lot from the CO after the same amount or even less.

Small pairs? TJs?

I haven't gotten into the whole raising small pairs in LP after limpers thing. I still limp with them unless there's 6 or more to me. JTs I'll raise after 3 or more if I think it'll buy me the Button and the limpers are bad and passive postflop.

GoT