PDA

View Full Version : AKo vs A-high monotone board

Wingnut
02-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Party $10+1 SNG. Blinds are 15/30 (level 2), there are 8 players left. I have the smallest stack on the table (T605), about half of "villian", and about 1/3 of chip leader.

I am UTG with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I raise to 120, all fold to villian on button who calls, blinds fold.

Flop A /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Here is my thought process. From what I've seen of this players play, the likelihood of calling a 4xBB raise with just two suited cards (or exactly 54) is very low. He has been mostly limping into pots, but calling raises with pocket pairs and maybe big As.

So I figure I'm either way behind, or comfortably ahead. If I'm behind (to a set or made flush), I'm dead to perfect-perfect. If he has a PP (w/o a set), he has 2 outs, 11 if he has a single heart. If he has a big A, he's got 3 outs, or 12 if he has a heart.

Pot is 275, I have 485 left, and he has me well-covered. I figure that this is either an all-in or check-fold situation, because I don't think I can possibly call any kind of bet over the minimum.

Was this a good thought process, or am I missing something fundamental? Results in white:

<font color="white"> I push in, villian calls. Qh on the turn [board is Ah2h3hQh], villian has AcJh and I go out in 8th. Guess he had 12 outs and called a 3-to-1 shot getting barely 3-to-2. </font>

Thanks,
-David

SnakeRat
02-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Easy call for him. He has top pair decent kicker, and a semi solid flush draw. More importantly he has the chips to risk. You could have anything in his eyes. I would push harder preflop with AK and a short stack, especially on party where people will so often call with dominated aces. Does anybody else do this?

Prickly Pete
02-27-2004, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't push harder preflop, it might just make the AJ do the smart thing and fold. And the big pairs are going to play regardless.

Prickly Pete
02-27-2004, 07:10 PM
I think the AJ guy makes this call regardless of suits. He hit his hand on the flop. Why else would he call this hand preflop?

chesspain
02-27-2004, 11:05 PM
I disagree. AK is a great all-in hand, especially from EP. Since he is the smallest stack out of eight, he might get calls from any pocket pair or even dominated hands like AQ/AJ/KQ. Furthermore, the only hands which dominate AK are AA/KK, and you may well bust out against either of these hands on a later street anyway.

Wingnut
02-28-2004, 01:22 PM
so you'd advocate going all-in (about 20xBB) first in with AK? Seems like any bet that high is only going to end up stealing the blinds, unless someone has you beat.

SnakeRat
02-29-2004, 01:06 AM
maybe limp and then re-raise all-in when hopefully its raised. Thats what I would try as low stack. Also I think you are overestimating your competition, they often cant distinguish been AJ and AA in my experience.