PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments from Party SNGs to Stars

Tosh
02-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Found it a lot tougher since I started playing some stars SNGs, especially the 2 table ones. Just wondering what adjustments people make to take account for the differences between Party.

MVicuna
02-27-2004, 06:51 PM
You didnt mention what levels we are talking about or your style. Party, when I played the SnG, was almost always filled with fish who knew nothing about NLHE and rewarded the loose lucky players. I played a $10 SnG at party to pass the time once after playing on Stars, and it was stupid. People going all in with JJ on the 3rd hand and being called by k9o. You just dont see that on Stars, except in the $3 rebuy tournaments or I've been lucky and missed it.

So the transition I would suggest is start taking your oppenents seriously on Stars and you'll do better.

MarkV.

Prickly Pete
02-27-2004, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party, when I played the SnG, was almost always filled with fish who knew nothing about NLHE and rewarded the loose lucky players

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd much rather play with 9 other guys that knew what they were doing. I'd do much better then.

Tosh
02-27-2004, 07:13 PM
People going all-in with K9o is a bad thing now ?

I have won 4 of these 2 table tournaments today and started to adjust a bit now though. Many of the players at Stars seem to be poor still but in different ways. Like the 2 table format but they do take a while.

DonWaade
02-27-2004, 08:38 PM
I guess that I am in the minority b/c I have found the Stars SnG to be the easiest of the three that I play: Party, Stars, and UB. Maybe my observation is not valid because I do not typically play SnG and just got lucky the few times that I have played. I typically have to play tighter on UB than any of the other 2 and Stars I can play a little looser (not that that is a good thing)

Tosh
02-28-2004, 10:05 PM
God what a stupid post that was. I love stars SNGs. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

If only they didn't take so long, oh well can't have it all.

MVicuna
03-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I think everyone misunderstood my post. I was mentioning how it was different from stars to party. That you needed to give stars players a bit more respect then party players. If you get used to the party players going in with K9o and you expect that same play on stars you'll end up losing a lot more.

I find party stupid because if I'm going to be playing against random hands I want more chips and hands to do it with. Party's format is just to high varience, AA gets cracked half the time against 3 random hands and with only 800 chips and blinds going up every 10 hands you are really strugling to get back into the money.

Let me try to clear it up, the fish are great if the structure is right to punish them, but in Party's SnG format you are gambling a lot more since you are risking large portions of your stacks in pots that your at coin clips at best to win due to the loose callers. This is great with deep stacks like at stars, but at Party this makes it tougher.

Nottom
03-02-2004, 02:17 AM
This is a very good point. Good post.

triplc
03-02-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm wondering if Party does this on purpose. They realize the high number of players on their site who just want to gamble, and their structure rewards that more than Stars because the blinds get so high so fast that the solid players can't wait for good hands all day, and it becomes a crap shoot.

I've tried to loosen up at Party with dismal results. However, playing super tight for me was only marginally better at Party. I've said it before and I'll say it again, even though the level of play is worse at Party than at Stars or UB, I prefer to play at the other two sites because it fits my style more than at Party. I've yet to find a formula at Party that works for me, other than to get big hands (which typically works at all the sites).

CCC

steeser
03-02-2004, 05:51 PM
I love the format of the Stars tourneys, but damn I really love making money on the Party SNG's. The quality of play seems much better on the Stars ones.

Granted, the finish is more of a crapshoot on Party with the faster increasing blinds, but my results are tons better with the players of Party.

Give me bad players over a good format any day.

MVicuna
03-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Would you mind sharing some of your strategy and at what levels they work? I have a hard time adjusting to Party SNG after playing the deeper stack slower levels from stars and paradise.

Thanks,
MarkV.