PDA

View Full Version : marginal, acceptable, or unaccpetable? -- Flop Decision

brick
02-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Good 4-8 B&M.

Dealt AJs in MP.
EP limps, I raise. One LP Cold Caller. SB and BB call. EP calls.
(SB and BB aren’t maniacs but they are they make some pretty loose calls and seems to be the weakest players in the game.) 5 players and 5BB to the flop.

Flop comes 47T. One of my suit. I think it was a rainbow.

Blinds check. EP Checks. I check. LP bets, all 3 players call.

What’s the right move? I’m closing the action…. And getting about 14 to 1.

Clarkmeister
02-26-2004, 04:29 PM
"What’s the right move?"

Betting the flop.

tpir90036
02-26-2004, 04:40 PM
against 4 opponents who are probably going to call when you have totally missed? i understand being aggressive but i don't know that i understand this flop bet. please explain if you get a chance...

asymmetrical
02-26-2004, 04:55 PM
I think I'd bet the flop. You've got two overcards, a backdoor straight draw and a backdoor flush draw (OK, your overcards may not be clean: J could make a straight...J kicker may not be great for the A, but still...)

3 people check to you: if you don't bet, the LP damn sure wiil (which he did.) Now, you're not sure if he actually got a piece of the flop or if he's just betting because no one else did.

Take the lead in the hand for one small bet and reevaluate if raised by LP, or reevaluate if anyone bets out on the turn.

brick
02-26-2004, 05:03 PM
If I'm 95% sure that 2 or more will call, should I still bet the flop?

Part of the value of this bet must be from the chance it will win right there.

balkii
02-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Just because they are probably going to call doesnt mean you dont have the best hand.

Even if you dont have the best hand, you have 6 outs here much of the time. I realize these outs arent the cleanest, but still. The backdoor nut draw adds to these. Also this sets you up to possibly get a free card on the turn, and will hopefully knock out LP. Of course people who like to coldcall dont usually like to fold on the flop, but its worth a shot.

Also this helps to make it so you are not so predictable. If you check-fold every time you raise high cards and miss, it will be easy to tell when you have a big pair.

Also this flop is certainly worth a call. And if you're gonna call... you might as well bet.

slavic
02-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Betting does a few things for you.

It cleans up your overcards
It likely buys you the button
It increases your chances of winning.
It may get you an opportunity for a free turn. (now if you take a free turn or not is up to you. Many players take one off on the flop regardless and now would fold to a turn bet)