PDA

View Full Version : Laying wood to position bets.

BigEndian
02-26-2004, 12:58 AM
I've found a new toy. And like most any other toy, I'll use it too much while I'm figuring out how it works and the newness wears off. Part of the learning curve or whatever.

I like raising bets from the button that appear to be done purely based on position.

Here's an example where I have a hand, though I've made a play like this with a smaller field on a stonecold bluff. I wish I had an example of this, but this one will have to do. I would have made the same raise with in a smaller field with JTo.

The table is typical of $2/4 at Party.

Party Poker 2/4 (8 handed)
BigEndian has Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is SB

UTG limps, MP1 limps, CO limps, Button folds, BigEndian limps, BB checks

Flop(5 SB): Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BigEndian checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO checks

Turn(2 1/2 BB): 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BigEndian checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO bets, BigEndian raises, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, CO folds

I didn't bet the flop for obvious reasons. I didn't bet out on the turn because with a large field like this it's very possible for someone to have had a weak A or a better Q and just not bet the flop. I would have probably mucked if someone in EP had bet the turn and had callers. The key here is that I feel confident that I can get the whole field to lay down with a raise - including the Button.

Thoughts?

- Jim

joker122
02-26-2004, 01:10 AM
What 2/4 table do you play on? At the ones I play a weak ace isn't folding, it's as simple as that.

BigEndian
02-26-2004, 01:17 AM
When it checked to the button the second time, there was no weak Ace - unless the button himself had it. My raise assumed his bet was based on position, not a real hand.

- Jim

joker122
02-26-2004, 01:33 AM
I appologize, I misread your post.