PDA

View Full Version : Was it right to fold?

SammyCal1
02-25-2004, 11:30 PM
I was big blind (5/10) with two other people at the table.
I had 44. The first person raises to $40 (4x the big blind)and the small blind calls. I folded. Third 4 comes on the flop and would have won. Unknown to me pre-flop, the first had KK and the SB had A 10. Was it right to fold this hand pre-flop?

CrisBrown
02-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi Sammy,

Easy fold. A baby pair vs. a raise and a call is almost never ahead, and often very far behind.

Cris

jaydoggie
02-26-2004, 01:50 AM
how big was your stack, and how much did you start with?
often times i like to call small raises with a small/medium pair and play for the set. youre likely to catch someone in a position to take all their chips if you hit, if not you got away for 40.

40 to take 1000+ 1 of 7 times seems pretty good implied odds to me? does anyone disagree with me?

eastbay
02-26-2004, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how big was your stack, and how much did you start with?
often times i like to call small raises with a small/medium pair and play for the set. youre likely to catch someone in a position to take all their chips if you hit, if not you got away for 40.

40 to take 1000+ 1 of 7 times seems pretty good implied odds to me? does anyone disagree with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that:

1) you're not going to get paid off every time you hit and have the best hand
2) you will not always have the best hand when you hit, and you're likely to lose it all when you don't

But you're right, it depends on depth of money, amount to call, as well as likelihood that you'll get paid off big if you do hit.

eastbay

jaydoggie
02-26-2004, 02:17 AM
if i hit a set and someone else does as well, obviously they will get paid off. it wont happen as often as you get paid off. however in low level games you will get paid off by A high, top pair, MPTK, flush draws, over cards, over pairs. i suppose my views of little pairs early will change as i go up in limits, but as a bottom feeder those are the type of hands that win you big pots for little investment.

eastbay
02-26-2004, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if i hit a set and someone else does as well, obviously they will get paid off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is not to equate your odds of hitting with your odds of getting paid off, which you apparently were doing in your post.

It's too optimistic.

eastbay

jaydoggie
02-26-2004, 02:26 AM
im sure if the stacks are 1000+ the implied odds are still good enough to call for 40, assuming you can expect only calls/folds behind you.