PDA

View Full Version : Priceless Comment on The Passion

John Cole
02-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Perusing the news shows last night, I saw a woman and her daughter arguing the merits of Gibson's movie. The woman claimed that the film was an important one for children to see because kids don't always get much out of reading and the movie will have more impact upon them. (Think about this carefully.)

And some people wonder why I distrust reborn Christians.

John

Zeno
02-26-2004, 03:10 AM
Always better to see blood sacrifice in bold living color. The searing undertones of the whole theology are not only barbaric and gruesome - the basis for it harkens back to the deepest cruelties and ignorance of the human species. The Last Supper ritual is in the same vein and tied to the same barbaric spirit.

I think I will see the movie. I will post my impressions.

-Zeno

MMMMMM
02-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Zeno,

That mirrored my thinking too, until I considered that the more important message of the theology is the theme of love and forgiveness in the face of great cruelty and evil (I'm not saying that you haven't thought beyond what you wrote).

The barbaric spirit you mention certainly is a central theme, and this spirit likely has been an inherent part of mankind to some degree since the beginning of the species. This however only makes Jesus' sacrifice and forgiveness of those who tormented him all the more poignant and meaningful.

I never did feel any affinity for the concept of a religious Sacrifice, whether animal or human, nor did I ever see the logic of such (and still pretty much don't). I can, however, understand that Jesus' great personal sacrifice demonstrated immense love, compassion and forgiveness--sort of like an example of the great love and unlimited forgiveness God would possess--whether one believes in God or not.

Well, I'll probably follow up on this post after I see the movie.

scalf
02-26-2004, 09:44 AM
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif mission accomplished...enuf mouth-to-mouth advertising to ensure the cash register ia a'ringing...lol..and that's the real passion of the movie business....

gl..i ain't going to see this schlock...when mel gibson was in south carolina for " the patriot " /images/graemlins/club.gif he was a chain-smoking, pot-bellied, balding, short little guy...note the patriot had a lotta bloodshed and cruelty..

gl /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Zeno
02-26-2004, 05:21 PM
M,

I agree, mostly. One of the reasons for the survival of Christianity, in my opinion, is the way the cruel undertones fall into the background and the more 'worthy' parts of the religion or theology are emphasized. The sacrifice and suffering of Jesus has become a great metaphor for the suffering of the human race in general and for individual suffering and this is a very powerful message. This is part of the general moderation and evolution that occurs amongst almost all religions, usually to their benefit.

But I regard this as a thin veneer over very base barbaric undercurrents. These base undercurrents are why, in my opinion, Christianity has produced such cruelty throughout history. Islam can have some of the same charges tossed at it. Of course, political, economic and other issues are involved and part of this overall chain, but religion is intertwined and in many instances dominates. And most ugly of all, religion is the catalyst, in addition to justification for, untold atrocities.

Now, not all people believe all the theology of any particular faith and a certain percentage disregard and dismiss the more base or ugly aspects of their particular religion. But when religion is built upon and is derived from such barbaric undercurrents it is doomed to always be an excuse for cruelty to fellow humans in addition to a host of other atrocities almost too numerous to mention. Western History, as you well know, is rife with proof of the above statements.

But enough for now.

-Zeno

J.A.Sucker
02-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Isn't the movie subtitled?

George Rice
02-26-2004, 08:14 PM
lol. It is. I guess her child will be missing a lot of what the film offers.

ThaSaltCracka
02-26-2004, 08:32 PM
And some people wonder why I distrust reborn Christians.
It seems you are insinuating that they are stupid /images/graemlins/grin.gif
It took someone else to point out the obvious of your post. Very funny.
as a Catholic, I find this to be hilarious actually.

as a side note, I think born again christians are ridiculous as well.

ThaSaltCracka
02-26-2004, 08:36 PM
sadly I have to agree with you. Although I still think there are many positives associated with religion. The relationship between you and God(whichever one you believe in), is a powerful and comforting thing, and shouldn't be written off so quickly.

scotnt73
02-26-2004, 11:26 PM
isnt the movie rated R? tell me all these christians arent loading up busses full of children to see an R rated movie. /images/graemlins/grin.gif