PDA

View Full Version : From the "people are demented" department.....

Clarkmeister
02-25-2004, 06:05 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20040225/ts_latimes/cursedballabouttogetwhacked

No comment other than this is the mentality that ensures they will forever be losers.

adios
02-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Before I read the article at the link I was thinking "What does he mean by a mentaility ensuring that one group will be forever losers? Furthermore what the hell is a loser anyway?"

I grasp your point /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

AndysDaddy
02-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Holy Cow!

This will become the greatest conspiracy theory subject in Chicago forever. With a Hollywood special effects expert setting up the destruction, yet. How easy would it be to fake the vaporizing? When the Cubbies keep losing how easy will it be to come up with hundreds of ball sightings, frame-by-frame proofs, anonymous witnesses, etc, etc? Years (if not decades) of talk and speculation - not a bad PR move for just $100K.

bugstud
02-25-2004, 06:46 PM
I guess the Cards should have burned the groundskeeper than ran over Coleman then.

HDPM
02-25-2004, 07:02 PM
As I have posted before, I was raised to be a Cubs fan. My father is a real Cubs fan. "This could be the year" he says. My grandfather was a fan. Despite not living in Chicago for most of my life I was a Cubs fan I suppose. And in one sense I still am. I would like to see them win a World Series. But I can't really be considered a Cubs fan anymore because I do not find 100 years of entrenched incompetence all that amusing. I do not think last year was a good year. It was a crushing failure. The team just gave up. And I think if fans ever affect an organization, Cubs fans could be said to affect the Cubs by making it acceptable to lose. If the Cubs suck, they will come out to the Friendly Confines, drink their Old Style, and hope for next year. There is no penalty on the organization. OTOH, if they were more Philadelphia like and viciously booed mistakes and losses and demanded a winner, things might be better. Perhaps not. But I can no longer be an unquestioning hope for next year fan. Sorry, they lost me. Call me a traitor, whatever. IDGAS. I want a winner. I don't want excuses. I don't care what Bartman did last year. An exorcism on the ball won't cut it. Winning a minimum 110 games and sweeping the playoffs is what I want to see. No excuses. I hope the fans boo all mistakes and ride players mercilessly. I hope they stop going to the park if the Cubs are losing. I hope the fans make Philadelphia fans look like old ladies in chuch.

So. I think they are losers in ugly uniforms. Boo. Learn from steinbrenner and win a series I say.

And if they make it to the Series I will be fair weather bandwagon fan numero uno. And I'll be off the bandwagon if they lose. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(This post would sicken my father BTW. I have converted.)

Clarkmeister
02-25-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the Cards should have burned the groundskeeper than ran over Coleman then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or better yet, burned Don Denkinger. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Homer
02-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Harry Caray officials said they invited him, but Bartman — who's received death threats over the most-foul mishap — prefers to avoid attention.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love humanity?

Homer
02-25-2004, 08:37 PM
OTOH, if they were more Philadelphia like and viciously booed mistakes and losses and demanded a winner, things might be better.

This sounds good in theory, but Philadelphia has gone longer than any other four-sport city without winning a championship (1983). It's kind of funny in a sick and twisted way -- I went to the Eagles/Packers playoff game this year, and I didn't hear ANY booing when the Eagles went down 14-0 early in the game. I think the fans are starting to give up on booing, as it hasn't done much for us over the last 20 years. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-- Homer

HDPM
02-25-2004, 08:47 PM
That is sad Philly fans are going soft. Maybe throwing batteries at players is going too far, but philly fans should stay true to their roots.

Maybe it doesn't work. But at least if Cubs fans booed and were vicious the Cubs players would suffer. And if they lose I want them to suffer a little. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyfox
02-26-2004, 01:15 AM
Just a slightly different version of the "change the deck" and "get a new set-up" mentality.

baggins
02-26-2004, 05:39 PM
It's things like this that make me ashamed to be from Chicago... and make me hate going to Wrigleyville so much more.