PDA

View Full Version : POLL....Poker and Relationships

Phishy McFish
02-25-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm curious to see how many people who post here have had fights with their loved ones about choosing between time spent on the virtual felt vs. with the family/friends.

rusty JEDI
02-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Online Poker causes relationship woes
Yes, it has been the cause of an arguement with my sig. other

Change "Online Poker" to just about any other topic/thing and you will likely get the same response. Chicks complain about everything.

rJ

ElSapo
02-25-2004, 04:29 PM
I answered yes, and the answer would be the same for...

--chess
--photography
--friends
--trumpet lessons

In my opinion it sometimes isn't specifically poker -- it's someone not understanding how you could possible prefer to spend time doing XXX than being with them. Most times better communication will help this. Well, some times.

And then again, sometimes it is poker. Some people don't like gambling.

William
02-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Some people don't like gambling.

The crosses and the garlic are hanging on the wall of many homes.
Silver bullets are to be found in the draws /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pudley4
02-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Where is the option for people like me whose relationship improved due to online poker? (more $$ = nicer house, more financial security, etc)

scotnt73
02-25-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where is the option for people like me whose relationship improved due to online poker? (more $$ = nicer house, more financial security, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

that was option 4-blow up dolls for dummies /images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k bro

ElSapo
02-25-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that was option 4-blow up dolls for dummies

[/ QUOTE ]

LO... oh, never mind. Sorry Homer.

yct
02-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Poker is not a relationship builder

Phishy McFish
02-25-2004, 05:25 PM
I can agree to a point, but I think some of the sig. others look at it as losing time to a video game.......and video games can just be turned off and started later......I need to choke my chip lead away.....I can't simply just post and fold it away to an 8th place finish......THAT TAKES SKILL!!

AAmaz0n
02-25-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Change "Online Poker" to just about any other topic/thing and you will likely get the same response. Chicks complain about everything.
rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Including and especially being stereotyped! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My partner has been very supportive and respectful of my playing. And is very happy to be coming with me on the PPM cruise! It's the first vacation that we've taken together.

There have been some rough times when the bankroll has gotten low, but we've always been there for each other. I don't think that in our case it has caused any friction, other than me sometimes putting in too many hours and needing to be reminded to take a break

Shauna

William
02-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Post deleted by William

AAmaz0n
02-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Post deleted by AAmaz0n

William
02-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Sorry, bad taste joke, I have deleted.

AAmaz0n
02-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Me too. I was just jiving with you though.

Shauna

William
02-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Tx for deleting. I apologize again.
William

DrPhysic
02-25-2004, 06:41 PM
You left out option 4:
Wife encouraged me to get into online poker in the first place, and continues to because it promulgates mental acuity, increases interests outside my business world, and allows me to meet all of the (mostly) nice people I have met on line.

Doc /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MrBlini
02-25-2004, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My partner has been very supportive and respectful of my playing.

[/ QUOTE ]Ditto.

CCass
02-25-2004, 06:51 PM
I answered no to the poll for 2 reasons. One, my wife doesn't know that I am "gambling" on-line (hope she doesn't read this). Two, I schedule my card playing around my family's needs (the wife and kids are more important than poker).

Point #2 keeps me from maximizing my earning potential, as I average less than 1,000 hands per week. However, I still get a lot of enjoyment (and a little money) out of my trips to the virtual felt.

Malone Brown
02-25-2004, 07:00 PM
my girlfriend thought it was stupid and I was probably getting scammed some how....that free trip to Aruba sure shut her up /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrPhysic
02-25-2004, 07:26 PM
family first? work for a living like the rest of us? 1000 hands a week? when do you sleep?

William
02-25-2004, 07:28 PM
SLEEP?

What is that? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jmark
02-25-2004, 07:29 PM
After awhile of me watching the WPT and playing on the internet and discussing hands with my girlfriend, she's learned quite a bit and can hold her own in LL. We go to the local B&M every now and then to play together. The only problem: She always wants to quit once she gets ahead, and for some reason that's always when I'm down!

We had the same problem when I taught her blackjack awhile ago. I think she uses up all my good luck, but I'm happy to have her playing with me so it's not a problem.

DrPhysic
02-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Post deleted by DrPhysic

William
02-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Ohh, You mean like when I pass out in front of my screen? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrPhysic
02-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Wm,
I just deleted the prev reply, because if taken as a shot at you, it was in very poor taste.

But yeah, like when I'm still losing money at 2am, should have quit when ahead at 10 and gone to get some ummm instead.

Doc

William
02-25-2004, 08:02 PM
NP Doc, I know both my friends and my ennemies, and I can take all the jokes in the world from the formers /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CCass
02-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Sleep???

Who said anything about sleep? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Webster
02-27-2004, 12:19 AM
A trip to Hawaii or St John every year with Poker money solves any and all problems!

SlyAK
02-27-2004, 04:30 AM
My wife absolutely LOVES it when I play poker. In fact during the weekend she often asks me if I am going to play. She watches me play a lot on the weekend, and has learned a bit about the game herself. She played a freeroll for me one night when I was at work and finished 30-something out of around 700... it was good for a few bucks. (She's a bit of a rock I would say).

I am probably lucky because we both became WPT junkies and started playing for play money, and she encouraged me to try for real money. I am about to cash out some of my winnings for the first time, I guess I should buy her a little something, make sure to keep the approval of poker high! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sly

pretender2k
02-27-2004, 05:22 AM
Or for me little more money, less time in bars (which is less money spent). Now if I take a nap early in the evening my wife wakes me up about 11 and says are you gonna go make some money or lay in bed all night. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I think it helped when I withrew some money for extra christmas shopping.