PDA

View Full Version : Winning too much?

jonnyv
02-25-2004, 03:24 PM
My wife and I host a weekly 2-4 limit holdem game and have been running it over. Last five weeks in order: $60,$90,$220,$110,$60(short handed). The previous weeks we were posting a modest win around 20 dollars with a 40 dollar and 80 dollar loss in there. I was toying with my wifes game during the losses and had her memorize and play starting hands by position acording to 2+2 starting hands. This ended up backfiring on us because she didn't know how to play the hands after the flop and became a calling station and chaser. I would be handing her stacks of chips as I was winning which was cutting into our profits. The eighty doller loss occured on a night that I was running bad and had the second best hand the whole night. She also was a calling station and played bad. Okay, so I should have taught her how to play the hands, right. I am slowly teaching her how to add a few more hands but she has gone back to her extremely tight playing. She has learned how to play her top hands and has learned to ply them well she uses the check raise knows when it okay to slowplay and has started to put people on hands. Because she only plays good cards she does not get herself in the check calling mode. If she doen's flop top pair, flush draw open end str8t draw she is out. She is working on the flopping overcards and when to take off the next card. Here's the problem. I have heard a few of the regulars complain that we are winning too much and have heard some jokes that we are colluding. It is not my fault that they are all and I meen all paying my wife off when she is the tightest player at the table and she rairly bluffs. She has been able to either break even or post a modest win playing this way and I usually win a fair amount of money because these guys pay me of on my graet hands and I can lay my hand down when I know I'm beat. I have read several books and have played the internet games and consider myself a good player. There is only one other guy I play with that has put as much time in than me and I consider a good player. These guys are my friends and I do not want to lose a friendship over a card game. They refuse to put in the work nessesary to become a good card player and instead make excuses and blame us for it. I have pulled them all aside at on time or another and told them the books to buy to become better players but it has fallen on deaf ears. They are all now on tilt and only have one thing on thier mind, beating us! This is somehting we look forward to every week since we can spend quality time together with our friends. I fear that most of the regulars will break away if this continues. I am in the process of bringing in some new players, but these guys are decent players. What should I do. I forgot to menion that we used to bet only two dollars on the turn but me and the other good player would get sucked out so often that I changed it to four dollars as it should have been in the first place. This didn't go over to well but it took care of the problem. So what is my best action to take?

prairieboy
02-25-2004, 03:50 PM
1. Try and get a few more players in the game, this will spread things out a bit and will reduce the focus on you.

2. Cut back on some of the more agressive plays you make (i.e. occasionally check rather than value-bet the river, check-raise less etc.) It's a friendly game so don't try to maximize your $ win on every hand - just most hands.

3. Stop talking about poker books. Your friends don't care, so stop shoving it in their faces.

This isn't your internet game, play for fun and make sure everyone else has fun too. You'll win less, but your game will be more likely to continue.

DarkKnight
02-26-2004, 01:17 AM
paragraphs?

tommy2
02-27-2004, 12:26 AM
My first suggestion would be to buy a dictionary with your winnings--they're graet!