PDA

View Full Version : More on Huck Seed

02-10-2002, 10:59 AM
I was playing at Commerce tonite...saw Huck Seed playing 20-40. He had chips in front of him, and the next time I turned around, he was gone (cashed out, or busted out, I'm not sure). Then, I saw him scouting out some 9-18 games.

But, as Paul F. would say, this is gossip, so WGAS?

Me. I do. I saw him playing 20-40, and it looked like somebody just ran over his dog, then killed his brother, just for kicks. I honestly felt bad for the kid (I use the word "kid" liberally...I'm 23).

He had made himself a lifestyle which he loved (I'm guessing, but I don't know him myself). Many of us live a similar lifestyle, and now it's like he's on the outside looking in. I feel bad for him (and no fewer than 89 people are gonna tell me I shouldn't).

Here's hoping he wins lots, and fairly soon. If a marathon runner breaks their leg, I'd wish them a quick recovery. If a car mechanic has his best wrench set stolen, I'd be hoping he gets it back.

Worm

02-10-2002, 11:37 AM
He seems to be doing very well in tournaments so far this year. He just won a seven-stud event at the LA poker classic and got about $30k (this is his second victory in a $300 seven stud event so far this year.) Check it out on Cardplayer.

02-10-2002, 02:30 PM
I really don't know anything about Huck's financial condition. Even though he had won a couple of tourney's this year, he might be playing for a backer so he might not get all the money.

But last week, I played 80-160 HE with him, and then he left that game to go play 150-300 stud. The room was very crowded last night, and the lists were very long. That might have been the reason he was playing lower.

02-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Well, it sounds like he's doing better, but this was at like 5:00 a.m., when the crowds had thinned....I was watching a couple 40-80 games, and they were very very good, so it wasn't just game selection....

02-10-2002, 06:40 PM
One thing for sure is that regardless of the limit, Huck is a very good player. So don't be happy if he sits down in your game no matter what his financial condition might be.

02-10-2002, 07:12 PM
It seems pretty clear that he's had consistent long-term success in tournament poker since 1990, if you check out his list of WSOP finishes on the Binion's web site.

02-10-2002, 09:09 PM

02-11-2002, 01:27 AM
yeah i saw him playing 40-80 last week while i was there. interesting that he's moving from 20 and then down to 9! hopefully ill get to play some hands against him before he's down there playing 3-6.

it is sort of sad, but i really couldnt care less about players whose success is from tournaments. tournaments are a flat out joke. that's partially, i think, what this website is about: the real winners, the guys who grind it out in the ring games. not some schmoe who gets lucky at a big tournament so now everyone knows his name. my heroes are not the guys they talk about ad nausea in the poker rags and on RGP. my heroes are mason, tommy, andy, brett, and gummy worm!

02-11-2002, 01:29 AM

02-11-2002, 01:29 AM
"my heroes are mason, tommy, andy, brett, and gummy worm!"

What about Vince Lepore?

02-11-2002, 01:14 PM
what about baggins?

02-12-2002, 05:08 PM
This is a true story because it happened to me! I was sitting in the 4-8 hold'em at the Horseshoe the year before Seed won the World Championship. Some guy looked at the ticker and it said "home of the WSOP" and said "hard to believe that happens here with all the trash around right now." It was August or September and they couldn't even get a 10-20 game going then. Seed is sitting to my left and says "yeah, someday I am going to win the championship" almost off-hand. Guy is incredulous and says "yeah right buddy, and I am going to win the Masters that year too". I didn't realize it was Seed until two nights later I went to Mirage and played with a buddy. He pointed over to the 80-160 HE game they had then, the field included Ken Flaton and Jennifer Harman and Seed was there. My buddy was talking about all these players and I was like, dude that guy was playing 4-8 with me a few days ago! He told me his name and said he was one of the biggest winners in CA over the past few years. My buddy was a 20-40 regular in LA back then and said he would play any game at any time. Big limit, small limit, it didn't matter. It was almost like he had karma, he realized he could win some money in 15-30 and would play it, then later he would be put on the board for 150-300 stud and be in that. The ego of being high limit or middle limit player didn't seem to mean a thing to him, he just almost always won whatever he played. Nine months later he was the champ and my buddy reminded me of how he had played with me before. Seed just seems to be a guy that loves the game and the challenge with it, the limit or the money aren't the biggest concern for him. He might have looked pissed about losing just because he is that competitive, not because he didn't have enough money for gas.

02-14-2002, 03:48 AM