PDA

View Full Version : current opinion on best NL tournament book

subq
02-25-2004, 02:41 AM
What is the current opinion on the best NL tournament book?

crockpot
02-26-2004, 03:44 AM
sklansky's tournament poker for advanced players, and it's not close.

Stew
02-26-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep!

subq
02-27-2004, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not close?

Stew
02-27-2004, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not close?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning that's the definitive work...read it first, re-read it, re-read it. Read Ciaffone/Reuben Pot-Limit/No-limit, Re-read TPFAP five times, read Ciaffone/Reuben again, etc. Throw in Super/system somewhere and you're set.

BradleyT
03-01-2004, 01:56 AM
What about TJ and Toms book? I find it a great addition too.

Bill Haywood
03-01-2004, 02:04 PM
"No-Limit Texas Hold'em" is brand new, by Daugherty and McEvoy. (McEvoy co-wrote the well-known "Championship No-Limit). I've been reading it and it is solid.

subq
03-01-2004, 03:10 PM
They appear to have an updated version coming out 4/1

NaobisDad
03-01-2004, 06:22 PM
I've preordered it, since I don't have the original. It's a 100 page addition. I doubt that there is going to be critical information in it all of a sudden, but hey, it looks a lot better /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's hell having to wait though, but since I can't buy the books in stores I always have to wait anyway.

Stew
03-01-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about TJ and Toms book? I find it a great addition too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I haven't read this book, so I can't really say much about it. I do have a friend, whose opinion I trust and it was the first no-limit/pot-limit/Tournament book he read. He said it is adequate for someone new to tournament play, but the other words mentioned are far superior. I plan on at some point reading this book as I almost always find value out of any book I've read, but as far as recommendations go, the others would stay at the top of my list.

PS: I have read MceVoy/Daugherty Championship Satellite Strategy and I have the same opinion of that book as my friend has of the Cloutier/McEvoy read, good for begginners, decent enough book, but just not chok-full of information for more experienced tournament players as TPFAP is.

Mason Malmuth
03-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi NaobisDad:

I may be wrong but I do have my sources. My understanding is that the book is going to another publisher and they are using a larger print and probably wider margins. See Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em for an example.

Now this isn't good nor bad. But if I'm correct you should see essentially the same text but more pages. By the way, if it turns out that I'm wrong and there is much additional text, I'll make a repost to that effect.

Best wishes,
Mason

NaobisDad
03-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Thank you, that at least clarifies that subject. I'm still going for the newer version. No particular reason, just think it looks better, and I have plenty to read in the mean time. Thank you.

DrPhysic
03-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Mason,
Lurking around on Books/Software as well as other places, I have heard very mixed reviews on McEvoys books.

Have you reviewed it? Old or New?

Doc /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

NickS
03-07-2004, 04:09 PM
As far as No-Limit strategy is concerned, I strongly disagree. Try Ciafonne's No Limit and Pot Limit book, and McAvoy and Daugherty's new No Limit Poker book. Of course they don't have TPFAP's incredibly informative chapters "You're Broke - You're Done" and "They're Broke - They're Done". LOL.

Stew
03-07-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as No-Limit strategy is concerned, I strongly disagree. Try Ciafonne's No Limit and Pot Limit book, and McAvoy and Daugherty's new No Limit Poker book. Of course they don't have TPFAP's incredibly informative chapters "You're Broke - You're Done" and "They're Broke - They're Done". LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is NL Tournament strategy and that is why TPFAP clearly is the best work on this topic.