PDA

View Full Version : Pre flop question

brian0729
02-25-2004, 12:17 AM
I just had this hand a few minutes ago. Its Party 3/6 and a few players have busted out and the table is in a tight stage.

UTG raises, folded to the CO who calls, Hero ????? with AQs and is on the button

Allan
02-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Raises....

Allan

Mike Gallo
02-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Brian,

If UTG has loose raising standards like KJ K10 or A 10 Axs reraise.

If you respect his raises then you can make this one of those rare times when you cold call a raise. Sometimes I will reraise in this spot. For a while if I had red cards suited I would call and if I had black cards suited I would raise/reraise.

You have position and a player in between you and the original raiser. I do not think I would fold this hand preflop, not suited, not on the button.

Homer
02-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Depending on how loosely UTG raises, I could see myself folding, three-betting or coldcalling.

-- Homer

brian0729
02-25-2004, 12:39 AM
I respected UTG raising standards. If this were offsuit it would see the muck quickly.

Mike Gallo
02-25-2004, 12:39 AM
I could see myself folding, three-betting or coldcalling.

Your a better man than me. I do not know if I can fold there. I probably have /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mike Gallo
02-25-2004, 12:43 AM
A string post /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok if you respect his raise, then I would call with one player in the middle.

Do you think the blinds will call a single raise?

brian0729
02-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Do you think the blinds will call a single raise?

Maybe one of them but they could both easily fold as well.

Allan
02-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Wow....

Am I missing something? The description the poster gave us was: UTG raises on a temporarily shorthanded table that has become tight. It seems like this is clearly a reraise especially with the cold caller. Under the table conditions our UTG might be raising with any hand he sees as playable.

Allan

Allan
02-25-2004, 01:16 AM
I do not think I would fold this hand preflop, not suited, not on the button.

I'd add: not on a table that has become short handed and tight.

Allan

Homer
02-25-2004, 01:22 AM
No, I was missing something. Somehow I skimmed over the part that mentioned the table had become shorthanded. I would almost never fold, and would usually coldcall or re-raise. With no read on UTG, I'm coldcalling because I'm weak.

-- Homer

GuyOnTilt
02-25-2004, 01:49 AM
How many players were dealt in this hand? If it's 7-handed or less, I'm not folding. What are CO's cold-calling standards here? Most of the time I'm reraising, but I may just cold-call if the blinds would be loose enough here. As usual, it depends.

GoT

Klepto488
02-25-2004, 02:05 AM
I would defintiyl re-raise with this hand becuase it suited and becuase i feel that it is important to assume control when on the button, especially with this hand.Raise for information, if he re- raises you you have to assume he has AK or high pocket pair, although people sometimes raise with low paocket pairs in his postion at a tight table, depends on how you percieve him

brian0729
02-25-2004, 09:46 AM
I had descriptions but failed to portray them well in my first post. I was playing at the time and was sure everyone could read my mind. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif The table was 8 handed, two people who were playing very loose just busted and left. With those two gone we had played about a dozen hands and I was preparing to move if the table did not loosen up soon as it had tightened up.

The hand itself, I had only see UTG raise once before from this position he had QQ. He seem to have decent PF standards. He had not been playing many hands and was playing straight forward. The CO had also been semi tight, but loosened up with position.

My thoughts were this. My first thought was this is an auto three bet, but I thought if I three bet I will lose the blinds and likely be playing AQ against two others, including an UTG raise. Which all of the sudden did not look like fun. Then I thought calling would be better, however I was fairly sure at least one of the blinds would fold if not both. I would not get the multi way pot that I would want so that did not look as appealing. I really hated the thought of mucking with this position, but decided I liked the option better than the other two. I mucked.

The hand went like this (not that it matters at all). The blinds folded leaving it HU. Flop was 8A3r. Both checked. Turn was a Q. UTG checked CO bet UTG folded.

Is there any merit to my decision process or is this just plain on WT? I can handle the bashing. Thanks.

Joe Tall
02-25-2004, 10:29 AM
3-bet.

Peace,
Joe Tall

novamob
02-25-2004, 11:56 AM
I would 3-bet for 2 reasons:
1.) To make it much harder for the blinds to call.
2.) To gain info about the origianl raiser and cold caller. (If I get re-raised or capped, I can assume I'm looking at AA, KK AKs or maybe QQ.)

Schmed
02-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Tight stage, open raiser could have anything, I guess re-raising is the play here. Reraise and hope I catch my flush draw along with a Q.

Schmed
02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
I was going to mention that if it wasn't suited I would have folded it preflop.

The flop hit and hit my ace I bet and raise. My Q hits I bet and raise if reraised call down.

Jeremy'sSpoken
02-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Seems like you played it weak IMO BUT, you had your reasons for your action which you stated so for that alone I think you played it fine. It is a lot easier to correct a mistake if you know why you made it, then if you are just making decisions without thought.

In your defense, I did contemplate folding but I think reraising is the better EV play but perhaps not by much. The only play I don't like is cold calling.

Mike Gallo
02-25-2004, 01:23 PM
The only play I don't like is cold calling.

Funny you should write that. My more thinking opponents fear my cold calls more than my raises or three bets sometimes.

A player can on occasion call and not reraise. I think hero could have called or reraised for this hand.

I would have called and taken it from there.

southerndog
02-25-2004, 01:31 PM
MG,

Would you consider calling with any other hands here?
I would consider KQs as well.

Dog

Jeremy'sSpoken
02-25-2004, 01:49 PM
I would be more apt to cold call if there were more players in the hand.

My thinking is that by reraising I have virtually assured myself of folding the blinds and I give the UTG a chance to cap whioh may force out the CO. If this happens I have a better chance to win being heads up and will have the odds to continue if I flop a flush draw.

If the UTG just calls then I have a great opportunity to win the hand on the flop whether it hits me or not, or I may get a free card on the flop or perhaps turn both of which could be important given my hand is suited.

I would have to be convinced that my opponent would not raise UTG with AQ, JJ or TT.

Interesting point about your opponents fearing your cold calls more then reraises. I too have noticed that my opponents have become accustomed to my aggression and will usually assume I am putting some type of play on them when I raise rather than call. This is especially true on attempted blind steals from myself. I have found that by just calling preflop and defending with either a check raise on the flop or bet out on the turn to be more effective in a number of instances.

Mike Gallo
02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Would you consider calling with any other hands here? I would consider KQs as well

I would sooner call with a pocket pair then with suited paint. Obviously I would call/reraise with suited paint that included an Ace.

I do not know if I would call with KQ suited, probably not. Not after I read hero's description of this player /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jeremy'sSpoken
02-25-2004, 02:22 PM
There is a significant difference between AQs and KQs. For that reason I would almost certainly fold KQ suited or not,