PDA

View Full Version : 98s in EP

Brian
02-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Party 3/6. New to the table so no reads, but table appears to be very loose-passive. UTG and UTG+1 limp, and I limp along in EP with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. MP comes along, and MP2 raises. Folded around to the BB who calls, and the rest of us call as well. 6 to the Flop, 12sb.

Flop: Q65r, one club

Checked to me and I bet. MP folds, MP2 raises. Folded back around to UTG+1 who cold-calls. I call. 3 to the Turn, 18sb (9bb).

Turn: Brick that completes the rainbow.

Both check, MP2 bets, both call. 3 to the River, 12bb.

River: Later. What is your plan if a 9 or 8 hits, MP2 bets again, and UTG+1 folds?

-Brian

dirty_dan
02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
I think this is a check-call flop. With 5 opponents you're probably not going to take it down with a bet, and if someone has a queen, it won't matter that you cleaned up your pair outs. You have the odds for your gutshot and backdoor club draw.

Going to the river it looks a lot like MP2 has a queen, so I'm folding anything but a 7.

Clarkmeister
02-25-2004, 03:18 AM
This is, of course, very similar to the infamous Sklansky 89 hand, only the top card is a queen and not an ace. I don't have a problem with the bet, or even anything to add. I just thought I'd make sure people were aware of it before everyone tries to re-invent the wheel regarding the flop bet.

Eihli
02-25-2004, 06:38 AM
On the flop, did you bet knowing MP would raise and make everyone call 2 back to you in the process cleaning up your 8 and 9 outs?

Is this any better than checking, letting MP bet and having everyone call 1 back to you giving you odds to draw to a gutshot/backdoor?

dirty_dan
02-25-2004, 07:43 AM
That a hand in HPFAP or something that has been posted on the forums?

Joe Tall
02-25-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't think I'm check-raising a 9 or 8 as MP has followed through and bet the turn. I'll just call.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Schmed
02-25-2004, 12:50 PM
I would want to fold on the river but if it hit you wouldn't have to be right too many times for it to be profitable so I make the call for one bet on the river.

Brian
02-25-2004, 02:01 PM
River: Another brick.

Both check, MP2 bets, both fold.

The reason I asked about this hand is because I have always wondered exactly how you are supposed to play *after* you bet the Flop in these sorts of situations. I understand the idea that you are supposed to bet to clean up your 9 and 8 outs and get hands like KJ that have 2 overcards that could come on the River to fold, but am I supposed to bet into him again on the Turn if I hit my 9 or 8? Or bet into him on the River, or just check-call? Etc.

-Brian

Luke
02-25-2004, 02:35 PM
I'd play the hand the exact same way you did Brian.

River: Later. What is your plan if a 9 or 8 hits, MP2 bets again, and UTG+1 folds?

I think I'd call, especially if I had any reason to believe that MP2 is the type that would play his AK this way.

Luke