PDA

View Full Version : Folding AKo pf

me454555
02-24-2004, 10:17 PM
I've been playing at this table for a while and it seems typical loose passive.

Im sittin in the sb, get dealt AKo and smile /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 limper mp2 raises, folded to button who 3 bets. My smile /images/graemlins/laugh.gif now turns into a look of confusion /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I'm lookin at calling 2 and half sbs cold w/an AK in bad position. I figure at best im up against JJ or QQ and I'm drawing w/out much chance of a bluff. Worst case scenario I'm upgainst AA or KK and I'm drawing nearly dead. Theres also a slim chance I could be facing a cap by MP2. Taking all this info into account, I decide to fold rather than pay 2.5 sbs to try to draw out. Is this sound thinking or weak play?

joker122
02-24-2004, 10:25 PM
This is a tough one because even if you flop an ace or a king which would give you TPTK you will probably never know where you're at through the rest of the hand. Nonetheless, I'd call and based on the action make a decision from there.

What did they have?

One thing I just thought of: the button might have a middle pocket pair like 77, or 88 and is trying to get it heads up with MP, so that should give you the equity to call.

lil'
02-24-2004, 10:35 PM
You seem to have a read on the table and suspect you are up against J-J at minimum, so folding seems OK to me.

me454555
02-25-2004, 01:00 AM
Good read, the 3 bettor ended up having 99. No A or K fell on the flop so I think it was a good call.

My biggest fear was calling and getting shut out on the flop and now I'm locked in for at least another bet b/c of the size of the pot. If I was in LP its an automatic call but being I didn't like the idea of playing it out of position the whole way. I think I'd probobly cap if I was in LP. I hate the idea of calling 2 bets cold much less 3.

Klepto488
02-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Good fold

Clarkmeister
02-25-2004, 03:23 AM
I'd 4-bet here everytime unless the button was the type to only 3-bet with AA-KK, which is awful rare in this situation (MP open raiser, 3-bettor on the button).

Too often in this spot its merely an isolation reraise by the button against someone he suspects is coming in a bit light based on position. Plus, your table image is likely that of a tight blind player, so that makes it even easier for the button to 3-bet because of the instant equity he gets from your presumedly imminent fold.

lil'
02-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Loooks like you need to adjust your read on this 3 bettor. He obviously is capable of isolating a lone raiser and can 3 bet with a wider range of hands than you originally gave him credit for.

CrackerZack
02-25-2004, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No A or K fell on the flop so I think it was a good call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I misclicked and an called cold with T3o from the SB yesterday. The flop came T83, must've been a good call.