PDA

View Full Version : Wireless card problem

pokerwisc
02-24-2004, 08:15 PM
if anyone could give any pointers, that would be great...

my new laptop has a wireless card already installed, but whenever i use it it disconnects from the wireless network about every 3 minutes, forcing me to have to click a few buttons to reconnect every 3 minutes which takes about 10-20 seconds, but obviously i cannot put up with this if i'm playing online... anyone ever encounter this and/or have a fix to it?

uuDevil
02-24-2004, 08:24 PM
I encounter this periodically with my home wireless network. Usually resetting my wireless router will take care of the problem. This is a pain as I have to reconfigure encryption, SSID, etc.

CrackerZack
02-24-2004, 11:19 PM
I had the same problem at my parents house and used to be all-in all the time. So frustrating. After changing the channel the wireless router broadcast on, it went away. (ok, my gf fixed the router) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anadrol 50
02-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Update the firmware on your router....

Mine used to do the same thing...

DanS
02-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Hi all,
I have a similiar wireless card problem. The last card I had worked (from what I remember) just fine. The new one h(a wireless-G card) has to be pulled and put back in to 'connect' when I start up the computer, and pulled out during shutdown or it interferes with the shutdown process. What the hell's wrong with my configuration?

Dan

P.S. I have a HP ze5170 2.0 Ghz, a D-Link card, and a Linksys router, if this means anything.

daryn
02-24-2004, 11:28 PM
mine is doing this too!!! it's driving me crazy, any of you techies out there want to give me advice? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

uuDevil
02-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Hi Anadrol 50,

Thanks for trying-- I have upgraded the firmware. The problem still appears every so often and I have to reset. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Like Zack, I have also changed the broadcast channel because I have neighbors that have networks too. If anyone wants to try this, check to make sure that you pick a channel that is really independant of the default value since some of them overlap. (CH6 is the default for my DLink router and CH1 is one of the two that is independant of CH6.)

The DLink tech people gave me a list of things to do. I doubt any of this helped, but among the other stuff they had me do was to reset my browser to its default settings and turn off IEEE 802.1x authentication in the Wireless Network Connection client that comes with Windows XP.

If anyone has a good explaination for what's going on I'd like to hear it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anadrol 50
02-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Do you have a cordless phone ?

uuDevil
02-25-2004, 01:17 AM

NLfool
02-25-2004, 01:37 AM
XP's wireless configuration (check in services) trys to do things by itself and this screws it up. It is always trying to jump to 11mbps when 2 mbps is the most stable. 2.4ghz phones and microwaves will aslo screw things up

pokerwisc
02-25-2004, 04:30 AM
some notes i have to put down after reading this post:

i also have neighbors with wireless networks that i can see when available networks are listed, and

i have windows xp and IEEE 802.1x authentification is on in my settings

just noting these in case it helps anyone else to help me.

also, i have not yet tried to reset or reconfigure my router, i will try soon and will post if this solves the problem.

yct
02-25-2004, 04:49 AM
I had the same problem. Once I installed the latest driver for the wireless card, never I have to reset anything again.

RollaJ
02-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Daryn, I know you got the 8600 with built in wireless too (I just got mine). I have noticed that sometimes it will not pick up the signal when I turn on the computer. What I do is just disable the network connection, then enable it in network settings. It takes about 6 seconds. I have never had it drop mid-use though

daryn
02-25-2004, 11:24 AM
mine picks up ok when i turn the computer on.. and most of the time the signal stays strong for a long period of time. but occasionally it will go through a period where it's on and off every minute.. very annoying. maybe i just need a restart? or could be a driver thing.. where does one download these things?

RollaJ
02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
I would guess a driver update would be available at dells website under the support section.........F-it, you're lucky I am bored at work Here ya go (http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devices.aspx?Category=5&OS=WW1++&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&Sy sID=INS_PNT_P4M_8600)

Anadrol 50
02-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Return it and get Linksys....

Since I updated the firmware I have never had a problem, and I use it a lot....

daryn
02-25-2004, 07:16 PM
thanks man