PDA

View Full Version : Which requires more skill, UT or WC3?

Eihli
02-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Me and a friend are having an argument about which requires more skill.

/jackass on
Don't give me this bullshit about they both require skill, because my question implies that, dumbass. And also don't tell me they each require different skills. I know that too. Just tell me which requires more skill. If you can't answer that then please don't reply.
/jackass off

Thanks.

ThaSaltCracka
02-24-2004, 08:42 PM
who cares

Homer
02-24-2004, 08:52 PM
who cares

My guess would be people who play these games. Am I right?

Wake up CALL
02-24-2004, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

/jackass on
Don't give me this bullshit about they both require skill, because my question implies that, dumbass. And also don't tell me they each require different skills. I know that too. Just tell me which requires more skill. If you can't answer that then please don't reply.
/jackass off

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whichever one your friend says requires more skill is the correct answer. It is obvious he/she is the more intelligent of the two.

Eihli
02-25-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm Sorry. I was using the same post for a bunch of message boards, most of which are inhabited by brainless morons who end up taking the simplest of threads and turning them into page after page of pointless ranting(I know, hard to believe this would happen on internet message boards eh...RGP anyone?). My post was just trying to keep it on topic for those boards. I Forgot that twoplustwo was the exception and I didn't bother editing my post for here.

pudley4
02-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Dumb question. (Answer - UT)

Analogous question: Which takes more skill - chess or baseball?

baggins
02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
what are UT and WC3?

Eihli
02-25-2004, 05:18 PM
computer games
unreal tournament
warcraft 3

scotnt73
02-25-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

/jackass on
/jackass off

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whichever one your friend says requires more skill is the correct answer. It is obvious he/she is the more intelligent of the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif good stuff

benfranklin
02-26-2004, 05:58 PM
This sounds like an argument a couple of coworkers had many years ago, when I was working for the railroad. An engineer and a switchman got into an argument about which position required more intelligence. They started trading insults and came to blows over it. Both were fired. Question answered!!

cjx
02-27-2004, 12:23 PM
I don't know. Seriously though, by the definition of the word skill (dictionary.com says) : Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience

UT (or FPS's in general) clearly requires more manual dexterity... even during the most convoluted of battles I can manage to micro my units well enough in WC3, but it is the decision making that I lack. On the other hand WC3 requires more thought on the spot so to speak. In battles of UT point and click suffices (though rapid hand eye coordination is required to excel), but in WC3 you really should know unit weapon/armor types and know which ones will be effective vs which so that you can set them to doing the most efficient tasks. It is also extremely important to have knowledge enemy heros special abilities.

Conclusion: WC3 requires more skill.

It doesn't require as much manual dexterity, but requires significantly more knowledge and still requires a moderate amount of twitch.

As a testament to this idea if you placed two newbies into each game in a one vs one situation the WC3 player could play 10 or 20 games straight and lose to the same solid player where as the newbie in UT2k4 would probably be able to win... if only a couple times. Similiarly a person who is an experienced FPS player can hop into UT with relative ease as compared to the experienced RTS player who will still be forced through a learning curve for WC3.

cjx

Eihli
02-27-2004, 06:31 PM
A new UT player would not be able to win any game out of 20 against a seasoned player. The newbie will of course get a kill on the other, but he won't get 25 kills needed for a win before he dies 25 times to the other guy. Just like in WC3, the noob may get kills on the pro, but won't win.

If knowledge is a skill, then WC3 requires more. In WC3, a pro, that doesn't know anything about armor types/weapons will lose to a noob that doesn't know anything about micro but knows damage types and good unit groups.

The advantage of moving a unit at low health behind the front lines, or getting the last hit on an enemy creep is much MUCH smaller than knowing not to use piercing on footman.

scrub
02-29-2004, 09:09 AM
I vote for WCIII--I know a couple of highly ranked Battle.net players, and the amount of study they put into strategies and counterstrategies is shocking. Really high level micro also requires a lot of dexterity--maybe not as much as in an fps, but it's pretty impressive to watch nonetheless. Especially when you consider all the balls that a really high level WCIII player has to juggle in a close match.

For those of you interested in this stuff, I've heard that a bunch of very skilled WCIII and Magic players either play a lot of poker or have switched over entirely. I played NLHE with TillermaN on stars a few months ago--he wasn't that bad.

I guess it's sort of the early 21st-century expansion of the backgammon/chess/poker crossover of the past. Dorks of a feather...

scrub

Wayfare
02-29-2004, 09:20 PM
In WC3 you actually have to think. Manual dexterity is important for both, but thinking about the "big picture" is not really required for UT2k4 whereas it is definately crucial for war3.

I am a competative counter-strike player and have two level 16 solo war3 accounts. I don't know if thats indicative of any great gifts but i am easily in the top 1% of players in war3.