PDA

View Full Version : How to pick the right table online?

xltros
02-24-2004, 07:33 PM
how do you pick a table online? in general i've jsut used stack size and try and stay away from tables with multiple players considerably outstacking me. what else should i be looking for.
I usually play 3-6, and occasionally 5-10. both short handed and full.
thanks

jasonHoldEm
02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Unless it's no limit, stack size really doesn't matter. Some people buy-in for 25 BB's some people buyin for 50 BB's, I've seen a few times where people sit down with their entire bankroll (i.e. $1000+ at a 3/6 table), so how big their stack is really isn't a good indicator of how well they play (or even if they are ahead or behind for the session).

I take a lot of notes on my opponents, I generally try to seek out tables where I have good notes on as many players as possible...As a rule of thumb, for every tight player I have at a table I want to have 1.5 loose players...and I generally prefer passive opponents to aggressive ones (tight or loose).

Notes are a valuable tool, and have made it much easier for me to scout the games faster and find the best ones...not to mention making better decisions in a hand.

Peace,
Jason

xltros
02-24-2004, 07:48 PM
ok, so what would you do if you are new to a site and don't have notes?

Homer
02-24-2004, 07:51 PM
ok, so what would you do if you are new to a site and don't have notes?

1) Sort tables by average pot size.

2) Sit down at table(s) with largest average pot size.

-- Homer

Graham
02-25-2004, 12:59 AM
I gravitated away from limit after NL/PL became widespread online, but previously, I noticed that many players who sat with inappropriately large stacks were more ego guppies than someone who'd actually played up their stack. If someone has a stack that's more consistent with them winning it from a regular size buy-in, then I'd take note and watch out for them.

Someone sitting at 2/4 with $170 scares me more than someone sitting with $500. Sit down with the 500 guy - in case he starts steaming.

Very large pots mean lots raising, likely as not. S'ok as long as you adapt to the game. Low pot size with high % to the flop can also be good.

G

OnlinePokerCoach
02-25-2004, 01:53 AM
I just get on the waiting lists for the biggest pot sizes. I then stick around and play at tables that have obvious fish or that just generally feel beatable. Tables change so quickly. You may have just sat in the seat of the person that was juicing the place before you got there, for example. Move on when the going gets tough. I have to force myself to do this when I lose at a table. It is too tempting to try to stay at the table until you are even, which of course does not make sense.

Saborion
02-25-2004, 08:20 AM
And if that highest average pot size often is made by what seems to be sound raises and good plays, you leave?

Emmitt
02-25-2004, 09:11 AM
on the site I play at (williamhillpoker.com) there is a stat that shows how many players on average will see the turn - this is very effective for picking a table with lots of loose players (at my level, anyway, $1/$2)

dirty_dan
02-25-2004, 09:47 AM
I'll usually get on the list for some tables with big average pots, and then watch each of those tables for a while. If the table doesn't seem loose (4-5 loose players) I'll take myself off the list. It doesn't matter if there are a couple solid players at the table, as once you recognize who they are you adjust your play against them. You'll still make money from the weaker opponents.

I tend to prefer loose-passive tables to loose-aggressive. The pots might not be as big, but it allows me to play a few more speculative hands because I can see the flop for a single bet.

If a table turns bad once I sit down (poor players leave and are replaced by good players, table gets shorthanded, or tightens up significantly for more than a round or two) I'll uncheck auto-post blinds and look for better tables. If I can find one I'll leave on my big blind, regardless of whether I'm up or down on the table.

scotnt73
02-25-2004, 09:57 AM
i sit at tables with the largest pot sizes. after playing an orbit or two if i see alot of sound preflop raising and solid post flop folding then i find a better table. sometimes i dont even play my first blind before i leave because all 3 or 4 hands were played with just 2 people seeing the flop and i prefer 3-4 seeing every flop.

Homer
02-25-2004, 10:01 AM
And if that highest average pot size often is made by what seems to be sound raises and good plays, you leave?

Yes, although that is almost never the case.

Also, game texture changes so quickly in online games that you have to have a willingness to jump around until you find a good game. Because of this, I don't worry too much about getting in the game with the largest average pot. Usually, I just get in the one(s) with the largest average pot(s) out of the games with open seats.

-- Homer