PDA

View Full Version : Almost folded AK...then opponent flashed his cards

02-02-2002, 03:29 AM
4-8 Hold'em at the Monte Carlo.

I'm first-in with AcKs and raise. The nice older gentleman on my immediate left makes it 3 bets. I hate getting 3-bet in the Vegas low limit games. It almost always means I'm up against a big pair. I could be drawing to very few outs. Everbody else folds and I call.

This gentleman has a bad habit. He looks at his cards frequently and often allows me to see them if I just look to my left. This is going to become quite useful in this hand.

The flop is: Td,6d,2c

I bet this raggedy flop and get raised. I'm completely convinced I'm up against a pocket pair. Against my better judgement, I call one small bet with the intention of folding on the turn if I don't improve. If he's got AA or KK, I'm drawing really slim.

Then he does it. He looks at his cards again- about the fourth time in this hand. I see AhQh. The rest of the hand becomes fairly easy to play.

The turn is: Td,6d,2c,2s

I check. My opponent bets. And, of course, I check-raise with my Ace-high (well, pair of ducks). My opponent calls.

The river is: Td,6d,2c,2s,4h

I bet. My opponent thinks for a while. He seriously considered calling before finally mucking. I win the pot.

I didn't think this guy was capable of playing a hand like AQs so aggressively. I'll have to watch out for him in the future- especially when he's not showing me his cards.

02-02-2002, 04:47 AM
You shouldn't be running into him in the future, so his aggression shouldn't be an issue. Your future games should be concentrated at the Mirage 6-12 and Bellagio 4-8 and 8-16. /images/wink.gif

Anyways, it is almost always a mistake to muck AK heads up in these situations. Unimproved AK heads up is definitely a calling hand at the river in most (not all) situations. What you experienced in this hand is far from an uncommon occurrance. Some of the most interesting hands are when one AK plays another AK off of his/her half of the pot.

02-02-2002, 04:59 AM
IT'S CALLED CHEATING. STOP LOOKING OVER OTHER PEOPLES CARDS. IF THAT'S THE WAY YOU WANT TO BEAT YOUR OPPONENTS, THEN I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB. IF ANYONE IS GONNA STOOP SO LOW AS TO LOOK AT YOUR OPPONENTS CARDS, IT'S TRULY PATHETIC. THIS JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT POKER PLAYERS ARE TRULY DISGUSTING. LOW LIFE ROACHES. CHEATING TO WIN SUCH A SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY, LIKE THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY WOULD REALLY CHANGE YOUR LIFE. IT REALLY DISGUSTS ME.

02-02-2002, 05:02 AM
You are home already? Did you bust out of the Bellagio 4-8 game early tonight? /images/wink.gif

02-02-2002, 05:05 AM
HEY DAVE,

DO YOU KNOW THAT I'M ONE OF PROBABLY 5 WINNING PLAYERS AT 4-8? IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME OVER AND LOOK AT MY STATS, YOU'RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO. ME, A LOSING PLAYER? ARE YOU KIDDING? ANYWAY, JUST WANTED TO DROP A LINE AS USUAL. ARE YOU STILL UNEMPLOYED?

02-02-2002, 05:19 AM
Yup, same as you. /images/smile.gif Isn't life great!

There are more than 5 winning 4-8 players in that room. The rake isn't that high.

Has that deadbeat from Conneticut paid his rent yet? /images/wink.gif Tell him his Patriots better cover, or else!

02-02-2002, 05:24 AM
LIFE IS ALWAYS GREAT FOR THE JOEMEISTER. WORK, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? HAVEN'T DONE THAT FOR A LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGG TIME. IT'S GOOD TO HAVE LOVING PARENTS. IN REGARDS TO THE 5 PLAYERS, I PLAY THERE LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW WHO'S A WINNING OR LOSING PLAYER IN THERE. MY ROOMMATE AND I ARE 2 OUT OF THE 5. IF YOU THINK I'M TIGHT, OH BOY. MY ROOMMATE IS WORSE. AS FOR THE PATRIOTS, I PUT MONEY ON THEM AS WELL. DO YOU WANT TO PAY HIS RENT FOR HIM? YOU'RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO. LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR EVER SO INSIGHTFUL RESPONSES.

02-02-2002, 05:31 AM
*grins*

The game is easy. You underestimate the number of those old farts who beat the game. I know 2 old farts who beat it and I'm never there.

Conneticut has told me how tight the roomie is. He says that's why roomie gets smacked around the 15-30. Hey, play whatever style you like Joemeister. Playing squeaky tight and simply taking advantage of weak players' mistakes definitely works just fine at 4-8.

I'm also betting under on the Marshall Faulk rushing yardage prop. the line is O/U 102.5 yards at Ceasar's with the under at +125. Martz will be pass happy this game. Faulk won't get anywhere near that. In game 1 vs the pats he only had 81 yards on 21 carries.

02-02-2002, 05:35 AM
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE. I'M SURE YOU'RE BEATING THEM UP AT THE MIRAGE. GOOD LUCK. LATER. WANNA SAY HELLO TO MR CONNECTICUT? HE'S HERE.

02-02-2002, 05:37 AM
*waves at Conneticut*

I hope Conneticut is still using the play over box to hold his chips. Being the box boy rules!

Yeah, im on a big time roll right now actually. I heard Conneticut had a monster day on Thursday at the Mirage.

Going to bed. Later guys.

02-02-2002, 11:19 AM
To quote my favorite movie, "Its a crime to let a sucker keep his money" That exploitation is nothing more than lawyers do everyday.

02-03-2002, 12:57 AM
Joey Blowey,

There are probably 5 players at the Bellagio 4-8 with a win rate as high (or in the same area) as yours; however, there are many more than 5 people who beat the game.

02-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Dynasty,

I have found lots of sensible advice/analyses with your posts albeit I don't agree with them all the time as poker players are not created equal nor do they play the same in identical situations. In this particular post, however, I was quite disappointed to say the least with your action of "peeping" into your opponent's hand to gain an advantage. While your opponent maybe careless in handling his cards, accidentally seeing their cards maybe acceptable. But to do it on purpose is tantamount to cheating. Had you not seen his AQ, what would you have done after his bet, the fact that you are putting him on high wired pairs?

As I have said, poker players are not created equal. In my case, I politely tell my opponents to protect their cards if they are flashing them to me as I believe in fair play and so do many other poker players. I presume that you are a winning player based on your posts and you do not need such an unethical technique to keep your winning ways as you may lose the respect of your peers. Just an advice.

02-06-2002, 12:46 AM
There was not way I could avoid seeing his cards. I was in Seat 9 and he was in Seat 10. So, while the dealer was burning & turning the turn card, I'm naturally looking to my left. When he lifts his cards to see them again, they're in plain view.

The dealer warned him several times during the session not to hold his cards up like that. There were multiple times when players in Seats 1 & 2 could see his cards as well.

02-07-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm with you on this one regardless. If s/he shows their hand, I'm alookin'