PDA

View Full Version : SB play vs one LP limper

02-01-2002, 05:34 PM
One mediocre limper one off the cutoff to you in the SB. You look down and see As3s. The BB isn't a total rock, but does play reasonably tight.

What do you do and why?

02-01-2002, 06:08 PM
one way is to raise to try and get it HU. but if the BB comes along then ya got a drawing hand also, but its still shorthanded. if BB folds, its almost automatic bet on the flop if the limper just calls yer preflop raise.

the problem comes if the BB reraises. then its a little more delicate...lol

b

02-01-2002, 06:24 PM
I raise here almost 100% of the time, even if it isn't suited. If I can get the BB out, I am in a great spot. Not only do I probabaly have the best hand, in the event we both have an ace, I have established myself as the winner if an ace doesn't come. This also is a good spot to induce bluffs when an ace does come.

I'm interested in how the rest of you handle this relatively common situation, since I saw a reasonable player muck a hand like this in a similar spot yesterday.

02-01-2002, 07:08 PM
he mucked? ouch...glad to have him on your table.

02-01-2002, 07:08 PM
It depends on where the limp comes from, of course. Against good players limping in middle position, I will muck here. Against loose players, I raise.

But anyway, the 3 kicker really hurts this hand. A lot. I think there are enough limps with suited and weak aces from middle position, that the kicker troubles hurt this hand too.

BTW -

I started limping first in more with AJs and below, when I have a questionable steal from middle position. I tend to limp with these offsuit in passive games too. I'm happy with the results so far. If I raise, I have a bigger pot that people are more likely to call and I'm out of position. If a Q or J comes, and I get called, I can't tell where I stand in a shorthanded pot. Plus I will often get isolated with better hands.

But mostly, I notice some big gains when I entice weaker aces to call too. I think this play is only going to work for the right tables at a lower limit game, so YMMV.

02-01-2002, 07:10 PM
Against 2 limpers, I will usually just call with Axs. I might want to try raising, though ... hmmm.

02-01-2002, 07:19 PM
a good player wont usually limp in mid position with AK to AT...theyd be raising . your A should be good if it hits. A3 isnt too bad a hand HU with no raises to ya...early position limper is a little different story.

b