PDA

View Full Version : Folding top pair on flop without a raise

piguy24
02-24-2004, 04:06 PM
A very loose-aggressive 8-16 game. I pick up Qs8c in the BB. Six people limp (including SB). Flop comes 8s7s6h. I check, hoping to check raise. The guy to my left bets, everyone before me calls, and at this point I really think I should've folded and waited until I hit top pair with a less frightening board. Instead I call and the turn is Qd. I check, the guy to my left (a pretty good but a bit too loose player) bets again, there is only one other caller (a tight player who would've raised by now with a straight). I figure the guy to my left is betting a draw either to a flush or perhaps a flush and straight (he always bet the flop and check-raised the turn with the nuts or close to it, so i didn't think he had a straight), and that the tight player has top pair with A or lower two pair. The flush card comes on the end, the tight player bets again, the tight player calls, and now I know I'm beat so I drop my two pair. The first guy shows 6s5s for the flush and the tight guys show 88 for a set! I was an underdog to both hands. Should I have folded on the flop, and was the check-raise on the turn the right play?

Manzanita
02-24-2004, 05:10 PM
piguy24,

Should I have folded on the flop, and was the check-raise on the turn the right play?

You played the flop OK. With 6 opponents you have an easy call, especially since your call closes the action.

The turn was probably the best card you could hope for. I would have check-raised here too.

You made a good read and fold on the end.

-- Manzanita